all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* awk-scripting
@ 2003-06-19 18:16 Dr. Ing. Dieter Jurzitza
From: Dr. Ing. Dieter Jurzitza @ 2003-06-19 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear listmembers,
whenever I load awk-mode it does not seem to do what I expect it to. I can
enter code as in any scratch buffer, but there is no formatting as I would have
expected to take place.
When writing c-sources in C-mode, I get
for (i=1;i<100;i++)
{
   somefunction();
}

automatically. somefunction() will (according to my experiences) always
be justified some characters off the left border. In contrast, when doing
similar things in awk - mode, I even cannot enter blank space in front of
somefunction(). Nor do I see any colorization.
Is there anybody being able to tell me what I am doing wrong? I would like to
have some c-like justification, some syntax highlighting. Maybe I simply miss a
pointer to the FAQ, anyway, your help is greatly appreciated!

Many thanks for your support in advance,
take care

Dieter Jurzitza

E-Mail: Dr. Ing. Dieter Jurzitza <dieter.jurzitza@t-online.de>
Date: 19-Jun-2003
Time: 20:14:55                 |
                                \
                 /\_/\           |
                | ~x~ |/-----\   /
                 \   /-       \_/
  ^^__   _        /  _  ____   /
 <°°__ \- \_/     |  |/    |  |
  ||  ||         _| _|    _| _|

if you really want to see the pictures above - use some font
with constant spacing like courier! :-)

* Re: awk-scripting
       [not found] <mailman.8271.1056047486.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-06-19 19:05 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-06-19 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Is there anybody being able to tell me what I am doing wrong?

Nothing, it's just not implemented in your version of Emacs.
There is some indentation support but it's seriously broken (it think
that awk is just like C, so it works a little better if you make
your awk code look like C by placing semi-colons at end of commands).

The Emacs-CVS code has improved support for awk-mode right now
and the soon-to-be-merged CC-mode-5.30 will provide a complete
rewrite of awk-mode with proper indentation support.

* Re: awk-scripting
@ 2003-06-19 22:40   ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2003-06-19 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Monnier <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> wrote on
19 Jun 2003 15:05:28 -0400:
>> Is there anybody being able to tell me what I am doing wrong?

> Nothing, it's just not implemented in your version of Emacs.
> There is some indentation support but it's seriously broken (it think
> that awk is just like C, so it works a little better if you make
> your awk code look like C by placing semi-colons at end of commands).

> The Emacs-CVS code has improved support for awk-mode right now
> and the soon-to-be-merged CC-mode-5.30 will provide a complete
> rewrite of awk-mode with proper indentation support.

CC-Mode-5.30 was released this afternoon.  It does indeed contain proper
indentation support for AWK, but requires a reasonably recent Emacs,
either Emacs 20.1 (or later) [or XEmacs 21.4 (or later)].  Font locking
is implemented, and is switched on just like for any other mode.

CC-Mode-5.30 is available as a tarball from
<http://cc-mode.sourceforge.net/release.php>.

And _PLEASE_ read the file README on how to get the new awk-mode properly
installed in place of the old.

[And just in case anybody's wondering, Dr. Jurzitza's post was genuine.
His timing was purely coincidental.  :-]

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter

* Re: awk-scripting
@ 2003-06-20  6:50     ` Dr. Ing. Dieter Jurzitza
From: Dr. Ing. Dieter Jurzitza @ 2003-06-20  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Many thanks for both Alan and Stefan,
just to keep on joking: the timing was even more coincidental as I used to
write this mail before I left for holidays, but it came back because I used to
send to help-gnu-emacs.gnu.org rather than help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org. Maybe there
was some telepatic event that made me insert the typo :-)))
Anyway, many thanks for your help. My emacs is very up-to-date, so this should
work smoothly. If not, you'll be hearing from me :-) (but I promise to catch up
with the docs first!)
Take care

Dieter Jurzitza

On 19-Jun-2003 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> Stefan Monnier <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> wrote on
> 19 Jun 2003 15:05:28 -0400:
>>> Is there anybody being able to tell me what I am doing wrong?
>
>> Nothing, it's just not implemented in your version of Emacs.
***

E-Mail: Dr. Ing. Dieter Jurzitza <dieter.jurzitza@t-online.de>
Date: 20-Jun-2003
Time: 08:45:50                 |
                                \
                 /\_/\           |
                | ~x~ |/-----\   /
                 \   /-       \_/
  ^^__   _        /  _  ____   /
 <°°__ \- \_/     |  |/    |  |
  ||  ||         _| _|    _| _|

@ 2003-06-20 12:02   ` Dr. Ing. Dieter Jurzitza
From: Dr. Ing. Dieter Jurzitza @ 2003-06-20 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Stefan, dear Alan,
many thanks again for you support. I installed the cc-mode as suggested, and
all works like charm now. Indentation - highlighting, everythings as I
would have hoped it to be. Great work! Many thanks again
take care

Dieter

On 19-Jun-2003 Stefan Monnier wrote:
****