all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to open full window programmatically?
@ 2020-12-03  0:34 Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-12-03  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help GNU Emacs

Does anybody know how to open full window programmatically if windows
are split?

* Re: How to open full window programmatically?
@ 2020-12-03  1:02 ` Jamie Beardslee
From: Jamie Beardslee @ 2020-12-03  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

By "open full window", do you mean (delete-other-windows)?

--
Jamie

* Re: How to open full window programmatically?
@ 2020-12-03  3:13 ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2020-12-03  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis wrote:

> Does anybody know how to open full window programmatically if
> windows are split?

What you're looking for is probably `delete-other-windows'.
I have that M-p.

Then I have M-o to do other-window-or-split which you can find
here [1], amongst a bunch of other stuff.

The two-window solution is because I use a projector with a low
resolution, so I only have 30 lines and 80 columns. Nonetheless,
you can examine the code and find things that you could use as
building blocks for the particular setup you are using and
working on.

[1] https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/window-new.el

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: How to open full window programmatically?
@ 2020-12-03  5:36   ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-12-03  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jamie Beardslee; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Jamie Beardslee <jdb@jamzattack.xyz> [2020-12-03 04:03]:
> By "open full window", do you mean (delete-other-windows)?

This here does not work:

(defun hyperscope-key ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((buffer "*HyperScope*"))
    (if (bufferp (get-buffer buffer))
	(cond ((and (one-window-p) hyperscope-full-window) (switch-to-buffer buffer))
	      ((and (not (one-window-p)) hyperscope-full-window) (progn
								   (switch-to-buffer-other-window buffer)
								   (delete-other-windows)))
	      ((one-window-p) (switch-to-buffer buffer))
	      ((not (one-window-p)) (switch-to-buffer-other-window buffer)))
      (hyperscope))))

One time it opens split window from one window, second time opens full
window with one window.

hyperscope-full-window is true

(one-window-p) is true

I do not know why first condition is not working every time but every
second time.

* Re: How to open full window programmatically?
@ 2020-12-03  6:00     ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2020-12-03  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis wrote:

> (one-window-p)

Oh la la, `one-window-p', didn't know about that one!

Thank you, I should replace my (= 1 (count-windows)) :)

> I do not know why first condition is not working every time
> but every second time.

Probably because the state changed (here, the window
configuration), so there is a different behavior when invoking
the function. Isn't that the idea? If the different behavior is
undesired, well, debug it.

Setup the windows and invoke it. Is the correct `cond' clause
executed? If yes, does it do the right thing?

--

@ 2020-12-03  6:12       ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-12-03  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2020-12-03 09:01]:
> Jean Louis wrote:
>
> > (one-window-p)
>
> Oh la la, `one-window-p', didn't know about that one!
>
> Thank you, I should replace my (= 1 (count-windows)) :)
>
> > I do not know why first condition is not working every time
> > but every second time.
>
> Probably because the state changed (here, the window
> configuration), so there is a different behavior when invoking
> the function. Isn't that the idea? If the different behavior is
> undesired, well, debug it.

Sure but I write here when I cannot. Not when I can. Yes, probably
state changed, that is what you say.

My uptime is 2 days and 11 hours, and all states got chaned and are
weird. It is like dream.

- input-method changed and I cannot turn it off, so the state is not
changeable.

- symon-mode turned on, cannot be turned off. Not changeable.

- opened Dired, trying to edit file names but I can change only few of
  lines, others are read only, not reproducible with emacs -Q

There are serious bugs in Emacs that I cannot reproduce easily but
affect usage so much.

> Setup the windows and invoke it. Is the correct `cond' clause
> executed? If yes, does it do the right thing?

I do not think it is that easy under this environment where I am, you
may not have it.

We are debugging maybe memory leak, this Emacs is running under
LD_PRELOAD and I did not encountered yet problem I expected before one
day. My vsize is 3.4G and growing, and I still do not know what to do
with it.

Maybe this is bug related to state not changing back for input-method
and symon-mode and if I restart session it will simply work.

* Re: How to open full window programmatically?
@ 2020-12-03  8:07         ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2020-12-03  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis wrote:

> My uptime is 2 days and 11 hours, and all states got chaned
> and are weird. It is like dream.

Don't do that, at least don't make it a habit. 2d 11h w/o food
no problem. 2d 11h w/o sleep -> psychosis ahead.

  advance too quickly, you catch up with death.
  but advance too slowly, death catches up with YOU

> - input-method changed and I cannot turn it off, so the state
> is not changeable.

No, I mean state that is relevant to that particular function...

> I do not think it is that easy under this environment where
> I am, you may not have it.

Again, nothing around that function should matter, unless you
want it to. It is just a function. f(x) = y

x here are explicit arguments but also what you call the
environment, sure. But only that data from the environment that
_you_ choose that function f should extract and act upon!

If it gets too complicated, break it up into small modules
(defuns). Try the modules first, when they work have the
function call them. When that works as well you MAY want to
incorporate the modules into the function. Or keep them as
modules! Either way are fine. It is up to you.

--

@ 2020-12-03  8:54   ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-12-03  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2020-12-03 06:14]:
> Jean Louis wrote:
>
> > Does anybody know how to open full window programmatically if
> > windows are split?
>
> What you're looking for is probably `delete-other-windows'.
> I have that M-p.

That is interactively rather than programmatically.

> The two-window solution is because I use a projector with a low
> resolution, so I only have 30 lines and 80 columns. Nonetheless,
> you can examine the code and find things that you could use as
> building blocks for the particular setup you are using and
> working on.

I would if I would not be stuck.

* Re: How to open full window programmatically?
@ 2020-12-03  8:58           ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-12-03  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2020-12-03 11:08]:
> Jean Louis wrote:
>
> > My uptime is 2 days and 11 hours, and all states got chaned
> > and are weird. It is like dream.
>
> Don't do that, at least don't make it a habit. 2d 11h w/o food
> no problem. 2d 11h w/o sleep -> psychosis ahead.

My personal uptime is much longer even though I go into sleep-mode
from time to time. I was referring to (emacs-uptime). Something
changes after about 1 day and we have memory leak bug trying to debug
on bug mailing list.

But it was not the cause why I cannot open up full window
programmatically.

> No, I mean state that is relevant to that particular function...

I said that it could not be turned off or changed. Function was
possible to be invoked, I would get "disabled" or I would get
indicators that it was changed but it was not really changed.

If input method was german-postfix the C-\ would visibly change
indicator from DE to U and german-postifx remained engaged like I did
not change it.

> > I do not think it is that easy under this environment where
> > I am, you may not have it.
>
> Again, nothing around that function should matter, unless you
> want it to. It is just a function. f(x) = y
>
> x here are explicit arguments but also what you call the
> environment, sure. But only that data from the environment that
> _you_ choose that function f should extract and act upon!

Not correct, I have not chosen wrong behavior of software in any
relation to input methods. I have chosen to turn it off and control
was lost. I have chosen to turn off symon-mode and though I got
"disabled" message it was not turned off, it continued running. It did
not happen in last 2 months or ever before.

* Re: How to open full window programmatically?
@ 2020-12-03  9:08     ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2020-12-03  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis wrote:

>> What you're looking for is probably `delete-other-windows'.
>> I have that M-p.
>
> That is interactively rather than programmatically.

OK, here you have it, programmatically, then:

  (delete-other-windows)

ikr? worlds apart! ;)

--

@ 2020-12-03  9:23             ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2020-12-03  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis wrote:

>> Again, nothing around that function should matter, unless
>> you want it to. It is just a function. f(x) = y
>>
>> x here are explicit arguments but also what you call the
>> environment, sure. But only that data from the environment
>> that _you_ choose that function f should extract and
>> act upon!
>
> Not correct, I have not chosen wrong behavior of software in
> any relation to input methods. I have chosen to turn it off
> and control was lost. I have chosen to turn off symon-mode
> and though I got "disabled" message it was not turned off, it
> continued running. It did not happen in last 2 months or
> ever before.

Ha! What are you on, Mescaline?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* [solved] Re: How to open full window programmatically?
@ 2020-12-03  9:26       ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-12-03  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2020-12-03 12:09]:
> Jean Louis wrote:
>
> >> What you're looking for is probably `delete-other-windows'.
> >> I have that M-p.
> >
> > That is interactively rather than programmatically.
>
> OK, here you have it, programmatically, then:
>
>   (delete-other-windows)

(defun hyperscope-key ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((buffer "*HyperScope*"))
    (get-buffer-create buffer)
    (if hyperscope-full-window
	(progn
	  (delete-other-windows)
	  (switch-to-buffer buffer))
      (switch-to-buffer-other-window buffer))
    (hyperscope)))

Thank you, I solved it this way.

* Re: [solved] Re: How to open full window programmatically?
@ 2020-12-03  9:40         ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2020-12-03  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis wrote:

>> OK, here you have it, programmatically, then:
>>
>>   (delete-other-windows)
>
> (defun hyperscope-key ()
>   (interactive)
>   (let ((buffer "*HyperScope*"))
>     (get-buffer-create buffer)
>     (if hyperscope-full-window
> 	(progn
> 	  (delete-other-windows)
> 	  (switch-to-buffer buffer))
>       (switch-to-buffer-other-window buffer))
>     (hyperscope)))
>
> Thank you, I solved it this way.

I didn't do much but I'll take it, you're welcome :)