all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
To: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
Cc: 44895@debbugs.gnu.org, jidanni@jidanni.org
Subject: bug#44895: Add Info-copy-permalink
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 11:47:00 +0300	[thread overview]

* Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2020-11-27 11:41]:
> > Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 11:14:18 +0300
> > From: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
> > Cc: 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson <jidanni@jidanni.org>,
> >   44895@debbugs.gnu.org
> >
> > This is similar to partial functions of `org-store-link' and to key
> > `w' in *eww*, or to `c' to copy Node name in the Info buffer, with
> > addition that capturing the hyperlink to the reference would construct
> > the shareable link or could invoke integration to quickly send it to
> > somebody.
> >
> > If it is meant to obtain quick reference to be shared with somebody,
> > partial construction of URL could be obtained with:
> >
> > User could press let us say: `C' on the "14.18 Optional Mode Line
> > Features" page, then the WWW hyperlink could be constructed in memory
> > pointing to:
> > https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Optional-Mode-Line.html
> > or snippet could be constructed with the title and URL such as:
> >
> > Emacs Manual: 14.18 Optional Mode Line Features
> > https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Optional-Mode-Line.html
> >
> > then by yanking snippet into email it can be shared easily with
> > third party.
>
> Are we talking only about "sharing" stuff in manuals related to Emacs?
> What about any other Info manual?  And what about manuals that don't
> have a Web site?
>
> IOW, this proposed feature needs more detailed specification, IMO.

In general it would be good for info files to get the feature where
author could specify if info is published on the WWW and then to
relate info nodes to WWW nodes. That may be external to Emacs. But if
this relation would be implemented in the fundamental info structure
then it would reflect on all info manuals.