all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Lunar Phases in Calendar
@ 2020-11-18 14:59 Christopher Dimech
From: Christopher Dimech @ 2020-11-18 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Gnu Emacs

Is it possible to highlight the Lunar Phases in Calendar.
How can I include a command in my emacs init file?

---------------------
Christopher Dimech
General Administrator - Naiad Informatics - GNU Project (Geocomputation)
- Geophysical Simulation
- Geological Subsurface Mapping
- Disaster Preparedness and Mitigation
- Natural Resource Exploration and Production
- Free Software Advocacy

* Re: Lunar Phases in Calendar
@ 2020-11-18 15:48 ` Jean Louis
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-11-18 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Dimech; +Cc: Help Gnu Emacs

* Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> [2020-11-18 18:00]:
> Is it possible to highlight the Lunar Phases in Calendar.
> How can I include a command in my emacs init file?

It is all possible, only it may not be easily customizable.

Please explain what exactly you wish to have in the configuration?

Side notes:

As we are on different parts of the planet I think, but I am not so
sure, that {M-x lunar-phases RET} could require latitude and
longitude.

(setq calendar-latitude -1.12484)
(setq calendar-longitude 29.72780)
(setq calendar-location-name "Bwindi Impenetrable Forest")

You would need something like that in your ~/.emacs or
~/.emacs.d/init.el

You may want to setup your calendar time zones as well.

(setq calendar-standard-time-zone-name "EAT")
(setq calendar-time-zone 180)

Inspect those variables by moving with the cursor to variable and
pressing {C-h v}

* Re: Lunar Phases in Calendar
@ 2020-11-18 17:18 ` Christopher Dimech
From: Christopher Dimech @ 2020-11-18 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Dimech; +Cc: Help Gnu Emacs

I have written the following commands in my init file.
But when I go in calendar and hit 'x', the date for
'First Quarter Moon' is not highlighted.

(require 'calendar)
(setq holiday-solar-holiday
   '((holiday-fixed 11 22 "First Quarter Moon")) )
(calendar-mark-holidays)

> Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2020 at 3:59 PM
> From: "Christopher Dimech" <dimech@gmx.com>
> To: "Help Gnu Emacs" <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
> Subject: Lunar Phases in Calendar
>
> Is it possible to highlight the Lunar Phases in Calendar.
> How can I include a command in my emacs init file?
>
> ---------------------
> Christopher Dimech
> General Administrator - Naiad Informatics - GNU Project (Geocomputation)
> - Geophysical Simulation
> - Geological Subsurface Mapping
> - Disaster Preparedness and Mitigation
> - Natural Resource Exploration and Production
> - Free Software Advocacy

* Re: Lunar Phases in Calendar
@ 2020-11-18 17:56   ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-11-18 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Dimech; +Cc: Help Gnu Emacs

* Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> [2020-11-18 20:39]:
> I have written the following commands in my init file.
> But when I go in calendar and hit 'x', the date for
> 'First Quarter Moon' is not highlighted.
>
> (require 'calendar)
> (setq holiday-solar-holiday
>    '((holiday-fixed 11 22 "First Quarter Moon")) )
> (calendar-mark-holidays)

I can see typo, it should be `holiday-solar-holidays'

* Re: Lunar Phases in Calendar
@ 2020-11-18 18:08     ` Christopher Dimech
From: Christopher Dimech @ 2020-11-18 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: Help Gnu Emacs

Have checked it out.  I am getting a lot of errors

Error (holidays): Bad holiday list item: (holiday-fixed 1 1 New Year's Day)
Error: (void-variable displayed-month)

Error (holidays): Bad holiday list item: (holiday-float 1 1 3 Martin Luther King Day)
Error: (void-variable displayed-month)

Error (holidays): Bad holiday list item: (holiday-fixed 2 2 Groundhog Day)
Error: (void-variable displayed-month)

Error (holidays): Bad holiday list item: (holiday-fixed 2 14 Valentine's Day)
Error: (void-variable displayed-month)

Error (holidays): Bad holiday list item: (holiday-float 2 1 3 President's Day)
Error: (void-variable displayed-month)

Error (holidays): Bad holiday list item: (holiday-fixed 3 17 St. Patrick's Day)
Error: (void-variable displayed-month)

Error (holidays): Bad holiday list item: (holiday-fixed 4 1 April Fools' Day)
Error: (void-variable displayed-month)

Error (holidays): Bad holiday list item: (holiday-float 5 0 2 Mother's Day)
Error: (void-variable displayed-month)

Error (holidays): Bad holiday list item: (holiday-float 5 1 -1 Memorial Day)
Error: (void-variable displayed-month)

Error (holidays): Bad holiday list item: (holiday-fixed 6 14 Flag Day)
Error: (void-variable displayed-month)

Error (holidays): Bad holiday list item: (holiday-float 6 0 3 Father's Day)
Error: (void-variable displayed-month)

Error (holidays): Bad holiday list item: (holiday-fixed 7 4 Independence Day)
Error: (void-variable displayed-month)

Error (holidays): Bad holiday list item: (holiday-float 9 1 1 Labor Day)
Error: (void-variable displayed-month)

Error (holidays): Bad holiday list item: (holiday-float 10 1 2 Columbus Day)
Error: (void-variable displayed-month)

Error (holidays): Bad holiday list item: (holiday-fixed 10 31 Halloween)
Error: (void-variable displayed-month)

Error (holidays): Bad holiday list item: (holiday-fixed 11 11 Veteran's Day)
Error: (void-variable displayed-month)

Error (holidays): Bad holiday list item: (holiday-float 11 4 4 Thanksgiving)
Error: (void-variable displayed-month)

Error (holidays): Bad holiday list item: (holiday-easter-etc)
Error: (void-variable displayed-year)

Error (holidays): Bad holiday list item: (holiday-fixed 12 25 Christmas)
Error: (void-variable displayed-month)

Error (holidays): Bad holiday list item: (holiday-hebrew-passover)
Error: (void-variable displayed-month)

Error (holidays): Bad holiday list item: (holiday-hebrew-rosh-hashanah)
Error: (void-variable displayed-month)

Error (holidays): Bad holiday list item: (holiday-hebrew-hanukkah)
Error: (void-variable displayed-month)

Error (holidays): Bad holiday list item: (holiday-islamic-new-year)
Error: (void-variable displayed-month)

Error (holidays): Bad holiday list item: (holiday-islamic 9 1 Ramadan Begins)
Error: (void-variable displayed-month)

Error (holidays): Bad holiday list item: (holiday-bahai-new-year)
Error: (void-variable displayed-year)

Error (holidays): Bad holiday list item: (holiday-bahai-ridvan)
Error: (void-variable displayed-month)

Error (holidays): Bad holiday list item: (holiday-fixed 5 23 Declaration of the Báb)
Error: (void-variable displayed-month)

Error (holidays): Bad holiday list item: (holiday-fixed 5 29 Ascension of Bahá’u’lláh)
Error: (void-variable displayed-month)

Error (holidays): Bad holiday list item: (holiday-fixed 7 9 Martyrdom of the Báb)
Error: (void-variable displayed-month)

Error (holidays): Bad holiday list item: (holiday-fixed 10 20 Birth of the Báb)
Error: (void-variable displayed-month)

Error (holidays): Bad holiday list item: (holiday-fixed 11 12 Birth of Bahá’u’lláh)
Error: (void-variable displayed-month)

Error (holidays): Bad holiday list item: (holiday-chinese-new-year)
Error: (void-variable displayed-month)

Error (holidays): Bad holiday list item: (solar-equinoxes-solstices)
Error: (void-variable displayed-month)

Error (holidays): Bad holiday list item: (holiday-sexp calendar-daylight-savings-starts (format Daylight Saving Time Begins %s (solar-time-string (/ calendar-daylight-savings-starts-time (float 60)) calendar-standard-time-zone-name)))
Error: (void-variable displayed-month)

Error (holidays): Bad holiday list item: (holiday-sexp calendar-daylight-savings-ends (format Daylight Saving Time Ends %s (solar-time-string (/ calendar-daylight-savings-ends-time (float 60)) calendar-daylight-time-zone-name)))

@ 2020-11-18 18:30   ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2020-11-18 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

> Side notes:
>
> As we are on different parts of the planet I think, but I am not so
> sure, that {M-x lunar-phases RET} could require latitude and
> longitude.

AFAIK earth is too small for exact position on earth to have an effect
(unless Bwindi Impenetrable Forest has its own moon).

Michael.

* Re: Lunar Phases in Calendar
@ 2020-11-18 19:00     ` Christopher Dimech
From: Christopher Dimech @ 2020-11-18 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Does anyone know how to set new holidays so they get marked
after hitting 'x'.

> Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2020 at 7:30 PM
> From: "Michael Heerdegen" <michael_heerdegen@web.de>
> To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: Lunar Phases in Calendar
>
> Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:
>
> > Side notes:
> >
> > As we are on different parts of the planet I think, but I am not so
> > sure, that {M-x lunar-phases RET} could require latitude and
> > longitude.
>
> AFAIK earth is too small for exact position on earth to have an effect
> (unless Bwindi Impenetrable Forest has its own moon).
>
> Michael.

* Re: Lunar Phases in Calendar
@ 2020-11-18 20:12     ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-11-18 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de> [2020-11-18 21:34]:
> Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:
>
> > Side notes:
> >
> > As we are on different parts of the planet I think, but I am not so
> > sure, that {M-x lunar-phases RET} could require latitude and
> > longitude.
>
> AFAIK earth is too small for exact position on earth to have an effect
> (unless Bwindi Impenetrable Forest has its own moon).

I was just guessing program is using those to calculate it more
correctly as related to time zones. For somebody in Seattle, WA it
will be maybe 10-14 hours back and previous date, somebody will have
it next day, all in same time. I did not look into calendar inside,
not yet. It is interesting to have those in Emacs.

I remember two clients arrived from US and have seen calendar on my
Emacs and have been wondering how is possible to have all those
features in the same software. They did not know what is Emacs.

* Re: Lunar Phases in Calendar
@ 2020-11-18 20:30       ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-11-18 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Dimech; +Cc: Michael Heerdegen, help-gnu-emacs

* Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> [2020-11-18 22:04]:
> Does anyone know how to set new holidays so they get marked
> after hitting 'x'.

M-x package-install RET german-holidays RET

Then in the ~/.emacs.d/elpa/german-holidays-* folder find how it looks
like, inspect it.

Then make your own.

* Re: Lunar Phases in Calendar
@ 2020-11-18 20:36 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2020-11-18 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> writes:

> Is it possible to highlight the Lunar Phases in Calendar.

How do you want them to be highlighted?

Michael.

* Re: Lunar Phases in Calendar
@ 2020-11-18 20:47   ` Christopher Dimech
From: Christopher Dimech @ 2020-11-18 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Currently, when I am in Calendar and hit 'x' I get brown highlighting.
But for my new moon phase T get nothing, as though nothing happens on
that date.

> Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2020 at 9:36 PM
> From: "Michael Heerdegen" <michael_heerdegen@web.de>
> To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: Lunar Phases in Calendar
>
> Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> writes:
>
> > Is it possible to highlight the Lunar Phases in Calendar.
>
> How do you want them to be highlighted?
>
> Michael.

* Re: Lunar Phases in Calendar
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-11-19  2:46 ` 황병희
From: 황병희 @ 2020-11-19  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Gnu Emacs

Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> writes:

> Is it possible to highlight the Lunar Phases in Calendar.
> How can I include a command in my emacs init file?

Somewhat my comment is going to be off-topic, sorry...

The Lunar is very very complicated. In particular, "Chinese New Year"
and "Korean New Year" is different in Lunar calendar.

Sincerely, Byung-Hee from South Korea

--
^고맙습니다 _白衣從軍_ 감사합니다_^))//

* Re: Lunar Phases in Calendar
@ 2020-11-19  3:34   ` Christopher Dimech
From: Christopher Dimech @ 2020-11-19  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 황병희; +Cc: Help Gnu Emacs

Not Complicated.  Just a ball rotating.

---------------------
Christopher Dimech
General Administrator - Naiad Informatics - GNU Project (Geocomputation)
- Geophysical Simulation
- Geological Subsurface Mapping
- Disaster Preparedness and Mitigation
- Natural Resource Exploration and Production
- Free Software Advocacy

> Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2020 at 3:46 AM
> From: "황병희" <soyeomul@vladivostok.yw.doraji.xyz>
> To: "Help Gnu Emacs" <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
> Subject: Re: Lunar Phases in Calendar
>
> Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> writes:
>
> > Is it possible to highlight the Lunar Phases in Calendar.
> > How can I include a command in my emacs init file?
>
> Somewhat my comment is going to be off-topic, sorry...
>
> The Lunar is very very complicated. In particular, "Chinese New Year"
> and "Korean New Year" is different in Lunar calendar.
>
> Sincerely, Byung-Hee from South Korea
>
> --
> ^고맙습니다 _白衣從軍_ 감사합니다_^))//

* Re: Lunar Phases in Calendar
@ 2020-11-19  9:05     ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2020-11-19  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 04:34:49AM +0100, Christopher Dimech wrote:
> Not Complicated.  Just a ball rotating.

That depends on whether you're talking about the
moon itself (then "a ball rotating" is a pretty
good approximation indeed, although, if you look
closely, you're into N-body problems, but I don't
have to tell that to /you/, I think ;-)

Or whether you're approaching it from the viewpoint
of human calendars, trying to make sense of several
incommensurable (and not really constant) observational
constants (solar day, solar year, lunar month) and
to try to fit them into each other. There, the human
creativity has been impressive indeed :-)

So those kinds of "calendars" are, as Byung-Hee politely
puts it, "complicated".

Cheers
 - t

* Re: Lunar Phases in Calendar
@ 2020-11-19  9:32       ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2020-11-19  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tomas; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

A org-mode type approach to lunar phases in calendars is
https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/53688/retrieve-the-lunar-phases-to-diary-org-as-a-record.

Best wishes,

Colin Baxter
GnuPG fingerprint: 68A8 799C 0230 16E7 BF68  2A27 BBFA 2492 91F5 41C8

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Lunar Phases in Calendar
@ 2020-11-19 12:05       ` Christopher Dimech
From: Christopher Dimech @ 2020-11-19 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
Trying to fit people's calendar together?  Impossible.  Stick with the moon
and with the sun my friend,  ;)

> Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2020 at 10:05 AM
> From: tomas@tuxteam.de
> To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: Lunar Phases in Calendar
>
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 04:34:49AM +0100, Christopher Dimech wrote:
> > Not Complicated.  Just a ball rotating.
>
> That depends on whether you're talking about the
> moon itself (then "a ball rotating" is a pretty
> good approximation indeed, although, if you look
> closely, you're into N-body problems, but I don't
> have to tell that to /you/, I think ;-)
>
> Or whether you're approaching it from the viewpoint
> of human calendars, trying to make sense of several
> incommensurable (and not really constant) observational
> constants (solar day, solar year, lunar month) and
> to try to fit them into each other. There, the human
> creativity has been impressive indeed :-)
>
> So those kinds of "calendars" are, as Byung-Hee politely
> puts it, "complicated".
>
> Cheers
>  - t

* Re: Lunar Phases in Calendar
@ 2020-11-19 14:36         ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2020-11-19 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Dimech, tomas; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Then of course, you've got lunar mansions used in India for timing.  But
emacs can't even get the 8 phases right so all of this may be better
done using external software and pasting its results into an emacs
buffer.  For those with any interest, a phase  has a 45 degree angle not
a 90 degree angle.

--
United States has 633 Billionaires with only 10 doing any annual
significant giving.

* Re: Lunar Phases in Calendar
@ 2020-11-19 14:52           ` Christopher Dimech
From: Christopher Dimech @ 2020-11-19 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

So we make Emacs do them all.

---------------------
Christopher Dimech
General Administrator - Naiad Informatics - GNU Project (Geocomputation)
- Geophysical Simulation
- Geological Subsurface Mapping
- Disaster Preparedness and Mitigation
- Natural Resource Exploration and Production
- Free Software Advocacy

> Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2020 at 3:36 PM
> From: "Jude DaShiell" <jdashiel@panix.com>
> To: "Christopher Dimech" <dimech@gmx.com>, tomas@tuxteam.de
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: Lunar Phases in Calendar
>
> Then of course, you've got lunar mansions used in India for timing.  But
> emacs can't even get the 8 phases right so all of this may be better
> done using external software and pasting its results into an emacs
> buffer.  For those with any interest, a phase  has a 45 degree angle not
> a 90 degree angle.
>
> On Thu, 19 Nov 2020, Christopher Dimech wrote:
>
> > Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2020 07:05:18
> > From: Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com>
> > To: tomas@tuxteam.de
> > Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

* Re: Lunar Phases in Calendar
@ 2020-11-19 15:17           ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-11-19 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: Christopher Dimech, help-gnu-emacs

* Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com> [2020-11-19 17:37]:
> Then of course, you've got lunar mansions used in India for timing.  But
> emacs can't even get the 8 phases right so all of this may be better
> done using external software and pasting its results into an emacs
> buffer.  For those with any interest, a phase  has a 45 degree angle not
> a 90 degree angle.

Thanks. Could you find references for that?

If it is not correct in Emacs, could you please find the reference and
{M-x report-emacs-bug RET} with such?

Jean

* Re: Lunar Phases in Calendar
@ 2020-11-19 17:23             ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2020-11-19 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: Christopher Dimech, help-gnu-emacs

I have a contact in for that source, probably will be in form of an url
possibly with printed book references.  I don't read printed books since
my first reading language by absolute necessity was braille.

--

@ 2020-11-19 17:37               ` Christopher Dimech
From: Christopher Dimech @ 2020-11-19 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: Jean Louis, help-gnu-emacs

Please refer to the following

https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/resources/676/phases-of-the-moon/

Regards
Christopher

---------------------
Christopher Dimech
General Administrator - Naiad Informatics - GNU Project (Geocomputation)
- Geophysical Simulation
- Geological Subsurface Mapping
- Disaster Preparedness and Mitigation
- Natural Resource Exploration and Production
- Free Software Advocacy

> Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2020 at 6:23 PM
> From: "Jude DaShiell" <jdashiel@panix.com>
> To: "Jean Louis" <louis@rcdsociety.com>
> Cc: "Christopher Dimech" <dimech@gmx.com>, tomas@tuxteam.de, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: Lunar Phases in Calendar
>
> I have a contact in for that source, probably will be in form of an url
> possibly with printed book references.  I don't read printed books since
> my first reading language by absolute necessity was braille.
>
> On Thu, 19 Nov 2020, Jean Louis wrote:
>
> > Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2020 10:17:19
> > From: Jean Louis <louis@rcdsociety.com>
> > To: Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com>
> > Cc: Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com>, tomas@tuxteam.de,
> >     help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> > Subject: Re: Lunar Phases in Calendar
> >
> > * Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com> [2020-11-19 17:37]:
> > > Then of course, you've got lunar mansions used in India for timing.  But
> > > emacs can't even get the 8 phases right so all of this may be better
> > > done using external software and pasting its results into an emacs
> > > buffer.  For those with any interest, a phase  has a 45 degree angle not
> > > a 90 degree angle.
> >
> > Thanks. Could you find references for that?
> >
> > If it is not correct in Emacs, could you please find the reference and
> > {M-x report-emacs-bug RET} with such?
> >
> > Jean
> >

> --
> United States has 633 Billionaires with only 10 doing any annual
> significant giving.

* Re: Lunar Phases in Calendar
@ 2020-11-19 18:15               ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-11-19 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: Christopher Dimech, help-gnu-emacs

* Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com> [2020-11-19 20:24]:
> I have a contact in for that source, probably will be in form of an url
> possibly with printed book references.  I don't read printed books since
> my first reading language by absolute necessity was braille.

Alright. It is first time for me to even think about the moon phases.

Wikipedia reference:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_phase#Phases_of_the_Moon

They reference 4 principal lunar phases so those are by 90
degrees. Then there is reference to intermediate phases thate are
between those principal lunar phases. In that sense I understand it.

It is play of light.

What I know about the moon is that chasing elephants with moonshine
back to Bwindi Impenetrable Forest helps when running through the wet
land.

* Re: Lunar Phases in Calendar
@ 2020-11-19 18:18                 ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2020-11-19 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Dimech; +Cc: Jean Louis, help-gnu-emacs

N.A.S.A. is not a credible authority on Astrology.  They do fine with
Astronomy but that's the limit of their knowledge and capability.

--

@ 2020-11-19 18:19                 ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-11-19 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Dimech; +Cc: Jude DaShiell, help-gnu-emacs

* Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> [2020-11-19 20:38]:
> Please refer to the following
>
> https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/resources/676/phases-of-the-moon/

OK I understand there are 8 phases which probably means about one
phase every 45 degrees.

Is it anywhere in Emacs calculated that 8 phases go through 90 degrees
maybe by mistake?

* Re: Lunar Phases in Calendar
@ 2020-11-19 18:21                   ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-11-19 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: Christopher Dimech, help-gnu-emacs

* Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com> [2020-11-19 21:18]:
> N.A.S.A. is not a credible authority on Astrology.  They do fine with
> Astronomy but that's the limit of their knowledge and capability.

On astrology definitely now. Ha ha ha.

Now does Emacs claim any divinations from its functions?

* Re: Lunar Phases in Calendar
@ 2020-11-19 18:32                   ` Christopher Dimech
From: Christopher Dimech @ 2020-11-19 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: Jean Louis, help-gnu-emacs

Phases of the Moon is not about astrology.

---------------------

* Re: Lunar Phases in Calendar
@ 2020-11-19 18:35                   ` Christopher Dimech
From: Christopher Dimech @ 2020-11-19 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
Emacs says that it computes Quarter Phases.

> Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2020 at 7:19 PM
> From: "Jean Louis" <bugs@gnu.support>
> To: "Christopher Dimech" <dimech@gmx.com>
> Cc: "Jude DaShiell" <jdashiel@panix.com>, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: Lunar Phases in Calendar
>
> * Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> [2020-11-19 20:38]:
> > Please refer to the following
> >
> > https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/resources/676/phases-of-the-moon/
>
> OK I understand there are 8 phases which probably means about one
> phase every 45 degrees.
>
> Is it anywhere in Emacs calculated that 8 phases go through 90 degrees
> maybe by mistake?

* Re: Lunar Phases in Calendar
@ 2020-11-19 18:38                     ` Christopher Dimech
> > N.A.S.A. is not a credible authority on Astrology.  They do fine with
> > Astronomy but that's the limit of their knowledge and capability.
>
> On astrology definitely now. Ha ha ha.
>
> Now does Emacs claim any divinations from its functions?

If you use Emacs Lunar Divinations, you end up right in the shit ;)