all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Inserting Schedule in Org-Mode requires calendar buffer
@ 2020-11-17 21:54 Christopher Dimech
From: Christopher Dimech @ 2020-11-17 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Gnu Emacs

When I want to insert a schedule in Org-Mode, I need to have the
calendar buffer in emacs to work.  Is there some customary way
that people include in their init file for emacs.

* Re: Inserting Schedule in Org-Mode requires calendar buffer
@ 2020-11-17 22:02 ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-11-17 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Dimech; +Cc: Help Gnu Emacs

* Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> [2020-11-18 00:56]:
> When I want to insert a schedule in Org-Mode, I need to have the
> calendar buffer in emacs to work.  Is there some customary way
> that people include in their init file for emacs.

When inserting schedule item with C-c C-s the calendar buffer is
opening automatically. Do you see it opening automatically?

It is there to help you choose the proper date. Once date is chosen
the calendar buffer is closed.

If you wish to see calendar again you may with M-x calendar

* Re: Inserting Schedule in Org-Mode requires calendar buffer
@ 2020-11-17 22:06   ` Christopher Dimech
> > When I want to insert a schedule in Org-Mode, I need to have the
> > calendar buffer in emacs to work.  Is there some customary way
> > that people include in their init file for emacs.
>
> When inserting schedule item with C-c C-s the calendar buffer is
> opening automatically. Do you see it opening automatically?

The problem occurs when hitting 'C-c <'.

@ 2020-11-17 22:13     ` Jean Louis
> > > When I want to insert a schedule in Org-Mode, I need to have the
> > > calendar buffer in emacs to work.  Is there some customary way
> > > that people include in their init file for emacs.
> >
> > When inserting schedule item with C-c C-s the calendar buffer is
> > opening automatically. Do you see it opening automatically?
>
> The problem occurs when hitting 'C-c <'.

On my side it just inserts in the buffer: <2020-11-18 Wed> but does
not ask me automatically for calendar to be chosen. The documentation says:

‘C-c <’ (‘org-date-from-calendar’)
     Insert a timestamp corresponding to point date in the calendar.

So when you open calendar with {M-x calendar RET} you may move cursor
in calendar and then move to Org buffer and invoke {C-c <} and you
will get the date from cursor that was in calendar.

Another way of adjusting this below is by using SHIFT-arrows

<2020-11-16 Mon>
  ^    ^  ^
  |    |  |--- here by using shift arrows you adjust the date
  |    |
  |    |--- here by using shift arrows you adjust month

  |--- here by using shift arrows you adjust the year

* Re: Inserting Schedule in Org-Mode requires calendar buffer
@ 2020-11-17 22:58       ` Christopher Dimech

> > > When inserting schedule item with C-c C-s the calendar buffer is
> > > opening automatically. Do you see it opening automatically?
> >
> > The problem occurs when hitting 'C-c <'.
>
> On my side it just inserts in the buffer: <2020-11-18 Wed> but does
> not ask me automatically for calendar to be chosen. The documentation says:
>
> ‘C-c <’ (‘org-date-from-calendar’)
>      Insert a timestamp corresponding to point date in the calendar.

Suppose I load Emacs and hit 'C-c <'

Emacs tells me "No buffer named *Calendar*"

@ 2020-11-17 23:32         ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-11-17 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > > The problem occurs when hitting 'C-c <'.
> >
> > On my side it just inserts in the buffer: <2020-11-18 Wed> but does
> > not ask me automatically for calendar to be chosen. The documentation says:
> >
> > ‘C-c <’ (‘org-date-from-calendar’)
> >      Insert a timestamp corresponding to point date in the calendar.
>
> Suppose I load Emacs and hit 'C-c <'
>
> Emacs tells me "No buffer named *Calendar*"

Now I get it, I can also see that.

I can also observe when I first enter schedule with C-c C-s then
calendar buffer disappears and right after I could use C-c <

That means you need to open at least one time calendar as function C-c
< must somehow get where the cursor is in calendar buffer or where the
cursor was in calendar buffer.

Namely when I insert schedule with C-c C-s and insert date, the
calendar buffer is not killed or removed, it is still activated rather
buried that I do not see it. That is why the function C-c < works as
it looks into calendar buffer that is there but not visible in front
of me.

I do not think that is any bug.

Open calendar buffer and then invoke the function.