all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* elpy: autocompletition not working
@ 2020-10-25 11:59 c.buhtz
From: c.buhtz @ 2020-10-25 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I setup my elpy on Debian 10 via this blog-post.
https://realpython.com/emacs-the-best-python-editor/#emacs-for-python-development-with-elpy

Auto-completion do not work; means do not pop up.

Regarding to my experience with a flycheck related problem in the past
I would assume that there is a extern commandline tool or python
package on my system missing.

But I do not know how to "ask" elpy about what is missing. I do not
know what elpy use for auto-completion.

I also checked the (official?) docs here:
https://elpy.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ide.html#completion

btw: What does "M-TAB (elpy-company-backend)" means?
In my understand "M-" on a usual IBM-PC-Keyboard is the ALT-key on the
right beside the Windows-key.

But ALT + TAB does window switching (on Windows and Linux-XFCE).

The IRC channel is dead by bots.

* Re: elpy: autocompletition not working
@ 2020-10-25 12:54 ` c.buhtz
From: c.buhtz @ 2020-10-25 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ok, it becomes warmer.

Not sure but I think "jedi" is the external part that is used for
auto-complemetion. And "jedi" is a python package.
Ok, I installed it via pip/pip3 on my Python2 and Python3 environment
on Debian10.
I do not use virtuelenv on my system and also deactivated it explicit
on elpy.

I can do "import jedi" in a Python2 and 3 prompt.

But "M-x elpy-config" still shows me
"Jedi.............: Not found (0.17.2 available)".

When using the "[Install jedi]" "button" in the elpy-config buffer I
got an error (of course!) because the emacs instance to not have the
rights to install something with pip - only root/sudo can do this on
Debian by default.

* Re: elpy: autocompletition not working
@ 2020-10-25 13:03 ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-10-25 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: c.buhtz; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* c.buhtz@posteo.jp <c.buhtz@posteo.jp> [2020-10-25 15:00]:
> Hi,
>
> I setup my elpy on Debian 10 via this blog-post.
> https://realpython.com/emacs-the-best-python-editor/#emacs-for-python-development-with-elpy

Sorry that IRC did not work, there is just few persons if more than
one, on #elpy channel

As you got the script from realpython.com website I also recommend
contacting them, as it is in their best interest that such script
works.

> I also checked the (official?) docs here:
> https://elpy.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ide.html#completion
>
> btw: What does "M-TAB (elpy-company-backend)" means?

We just discussed of the notation, the notation M-TAB means Meta key
and TAB, and Meta is on PC keyboards normally ALT. Internally Meta key
is translated to ESC, so you can also use ESC-TAB. On Apple keyboards
it is Option-TAB

> In my understand "M-" on a usual IBM-PC-Keyboard is the ALT-key on the
> right beside the Windows-key.

Right.

> But ALT + TAB does window switching (on Windows and Linux-XFCE).

Eh, that is other problem, your Window Manager verwrites the M-TAB to
Window Manager function of switching windows, so that is why it does
not work:

- you could remap Window Manager, or change it, I do not recommend

- map the key to use some Emacs function, that is best

I do not touch Python, not Pythonista. But there is function
M-x hippie-expand and there is also M-x python-mode built in.

hippie-expand could help. You could evaluate following:

(define-key python-mode-map (kbd "s-<tab>") 'hippie-expand)

Then you could use the Superkey between Ctrl and Alt with TAB to
expand on Python expression. You can repeat it to find various
expansions. Tell me if it is usable.

More resources for you:
https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/PythonProgrammingInEmacs

--