all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* [beginner] better-defaults not found
@ 2020-10-19 21:48 c.buhtz
From: c.buhtz @ 2020-10-19 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello at all,

I am a long year but low level vim user not moving to
emacs (primary for Python).

I tried to edit my ~/.emacs file (on Debian 10 stable) based on that
emacs-for-python-tutorial
https://realpython.com/emacs-the-best-python-editor/#initialization-file

When re-starting emacs I got the error that

/better-defaults-20170614.404.el, Not found

First of all I am confused about the version number because melpa.org
shows me "20200717.2012" for that package. I can understand that the
current package is not found. But I do not understand where the old
version number emacs using for this package comes from.

This is my .emacs (comment lines removed)

(when (>= emacs-major-version 24)
  (require 'package)
  (add-to-list
   'package-archives
    '("melpa" . "https://melpa.org/packages/")
   t))

(package-initialize)
(package-refresh-contents)
(defvar myPackages
  '(better-defaults
    material-theme
    )
  )

(mapc #'(lambda (package)
	  (unless (package-installed-p package)
	    (package-install package)))
      myPackages)

* Re: [beginner] better-defaults not found
@ 2020-10-19 23:02 ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2020-10-19 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: c.buhtz, help-gnu-emacs

<c.buhtz@posteo.jp> writes:

> I tried to edit my ~/.emacs file (on Debian 10 stable) based on that
> emacs-for-python-tutorial
> https://realpython.com/emacs-the-best-python-editor/#initialization-file
>
> When re-starting emacs I got the error that
>
> /better-defaults-20170614.404.el, Not found
>
> First of all I am confused about the version number because melpa.org
> shows me "20200717.2012" for that package. I can understand that the
> current package is not found. But I do not understand where the old
> version number emacs using for this package comes from.

This does indeed look strange.  What version of Emacs is this?  Do you
perhaps have some old package lying around in "~/.emacs.d/elpa"?  Or in
any of the directories in the `package-directory-list' variable?

You could try invoking "emacs --debug-init" to see if the backtrace
tells you something interesting.

* Re: [beginner] better-defaults not found
@ 2020-10-20 19:41 ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-10-20 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* c.buhtz@posteo.jp <c.buhtz@posteo.jp> [2020-10-20 00:49]:
> Hello at all,
>
> I am a long year but low level vim user not moving to
> emacs (primary for Python).
>
> I tried to edit my ~/.emacs file (on Debian 10 stable) based on that
> emacs-for-python-tutorial
> https://realpython.com/emacs-the-best-python-editor/#initialization-file
>
> When re-starting emacs I got the error that
>
> /better-defaults-20170614.404.el, Not found

I have seen the code, so it looks like that it should refresh your
archive list and then it requires better-defaults, but if it is not
there, it means maybe you did not have Internet to refresh it at the
moment, or for some other reason you could not refresh the list.

* Re: [beginner] better-defaults not found
@ 2020-10-20 20:37   ` c.buhtz
From: c.buhtz @ 2020-10-20 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dear Stefan

On 2020-10-19 16:02 Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com> wrote:
> perhaps have some old package lying around in "~/.emacs.d/elpa"?

That was it.

Years ago I installed emacs on my Debian and forgot about it.
I just deleted the directory and it worked.