all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* fontsets on w32 emacs (ver 22.3)
@ 2009-11-21  0:07 B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-11-21  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Is it possible to construct fontsets out of ttf fonts or do they have to
be bdf on w32 emacs also? For instance, could I make a fontset that
includes all the characters from Arial Unicode and supplements them with
some from Code2000 or Code2001?

I found this code on the emacs wiki:

 ;; "Greek extended"  U+1F00 - U+1FEF
    (set-fontset-font "fontset-standard"
                      (cons (decode-char 'ucs #x1f00)
                            (decode-char 'ucs #x1fef))
                      "-*-palatino
linotype-*-*-r-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-1")

;; is the above referring to a bdf Palatino font?

Will something like this also work on w32 emacs? I already have:

(custom-set-faces
  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
 '(default ((t (:stipple nil :background "ghostwhite" :foreground
"black" :inverse-video nil :box nil :strike-through nil :overline nil
:underline nil :slant normal :weight normal :height 108 :width normal
:family "outline-arial unicode ms")))))

(make-frame '((name . "courier")
           (top . 1) (left . 1) (width . 123) (height . 18)
           (visibility . icon) ; nil or icon
     ))

(select-frame-by-name "courier")
(set-frame-font "-outline-Courier
New-normal-r-normal-normal-*-*-96-96-c-*-iso10646-1")

Could I add a unicode range to these without disturbing the method that
choses glyphs from those two fonts for the two named frames? Are there
examples on web somewhere?

Thanks,

Ed

* Re: fontsets on w32 emacs (ver 22.3)
@ 2009-11-23  1:07 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2009-11-23  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Nov 21, 8:07 am, "B. T. Raven" <ni...@nihilo.net> wrote:
> Is it possible to construct fontsets out of ttf fonts or do they have to
> be bdf on w32 emacs also?

There is no restriction on the type of font that can be a member of a
fontset.

* Re: fontsets on w32 emacs (ver 22.3)
@ 2009-11-24  4:22   ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-11-24  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jason Rumney wrote:
> On Nov 21, 8:07 am, "B. T. Raven" <ni...@nihilo.net> wrote:
>> Is it possible to construct fontsets out of ttf fonts or do they have to
>> be bdf on w32 emacs also?
>
> There is no restriction on the type of font that can be a member of a
> fontset.

Thanks, Jason. I'll give it a try.