all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* shifting between buffers
@ 2006-02-08  0:17 Raja Loganathan
From: Raja Loganathan @ 2006-02-08  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

How do i move between buffers. Like the previous one, next one.

Also all my buffers are not shown in tabs.  Only all .h files are shown
or all .cpp files are shown. Both of them are not shown as tabs
simultaneously. I have to goto the menu to change each time.

Thank you,
Raja

* Re: shifting between buffers
@ 2006-02-08  7:18 ` Mathias Dahl
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2006-02-08  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Raja Loganathan <raja@cc.gatech.edu> writes:

> How do i move between buffers. Like the previous one, next one.

It depends on which Emacs version you run. The lastest one, in CVS,
has bound C-x <left> and C-x <right> to `prev-buffer' and
`next-buffer', respectively.

There are zillion of ways to change buffers in Emacs. Up on EmacsWiki
there is a page describing some of them:

http://emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki?SwitchingBuffers

> Also all my buffers are not shown in tabs.

Hmm, I don't have any buffer showing in a tab. Have you installed some
extension to Emacs that displays tabs or is this some other Emacs
(XEmacs, for example)?

* Re: shifting between buffers
@ 2006-02-08 18:45 ` Nellinux
From: Nellinux @ 2006-02-08 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

$ info emacs buffer

* Re: shifting between buffers
@ 2006-02-08 21:11 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-02-08 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 08.02.2006 um 01:17 schrieb Raja Loganathan:

> Also all my buffers are not shown in tabs.  Only all .h files are
> shown or all .cpp files are shown. Both of them are not shown as
> tabs simultaneously. I have to goto the menu to change each time.

This has to do with mouse-buffer-menu-maxlen, mouse-buffer-menu-mode-
mult, mouse-buffer-menu-mode-groups, and the function mouse-buffer-
menu, all in mouse.el. You can customise the variables and the
control the way how sorts of files are sorted, or not!

--
Greetings

   Pete

There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
We don't believe this to be a coincidence. - Jeremy S. Anderson

* Re: shifting between buffers
@ 2006-02-08 22:23   ` Raja Loganathan
From: Raja Loganathan @ 2006-02-08 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using xemacs 21.4

C-x <left> and C-x <right> doesnt seem to work in this.

@ 2006-02-09  0:14     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2006-02-09  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

    I'm using xemacs 21.4
    C-x <left> and C-x <right> doesnt seem to work in this.

Sigh. Mathias tried to help you, but you don't seem to want to *read* what
he wrote:

1. The *latest*, CVS version has C-x <left> and C-x <right>. And this
applies only to GNU Emacs, not to XEmacs. Mathias didn't mention GNU Emacs,
but this is a mailing list for *GNU* Emacs, not XEmacs, so that was
understood.

2. More importantly, Mathias pointed you to *lots* of help on this question:
http://emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki?SwitchingBuffers. That site is not limited
to GNU Emacs, though many of its pages are only pertinent to GNU Emacs.

Do you not have Web access? If you cannot access that site, then say so, and
some people here might be willing to help you more, even though you are not
using GNU Emacs.

Otherwise (if you can access that site), you really have no excuse. If you
are too lazy to read and follow someone's attempt to help you, then don't
expect people here to go to much trouble in the future to answer your
questions. People here are very willing to help, but they will give up on
you if you don't try a little to help yourself.

    Mathias Dahl wrote:
    > It depends on which Emacs version you run. The lastest one, in CVS,
    > has bound C-x <left> and C-x <right> to `prev-buffer' and
    > `next-buffer', respectively.
    >
    > There are zillion of ways to change buffers in Emacs. Up on EmacsWiki
    > there is a page describing some of them:
    >
    > http://emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki?SwitchingBuffers

* Re: shifting between buffers
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-02-09  2:01 ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2006-02-09  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Raja Loganathan" <raja@cc.gatech.edu> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> How do i move between buffers. Like the previous one, next one.
>
> Also all my buffers are not shown in tabs.  Only all .h files are shown
> or all .cpp files are shown. Both of them are not shown as tabs
> simultaneously. I have to goto the menu to change each time.
>

> Thank you,
> Raja

I have found this (in custom-set-variables) very useful:

 '(iswitchb-mode t nil (iswitchb))

This may not give programmers enough flexibility but for general authoring
it offers a way of rapidly changing buffers.

I also added (via custom):

 '(iswitchb-buffer-ignore (quote ("^ " "^\\*+")))

This filters out the usual suspects (read-only, info, etc.) I can still
get to them via the menu bar.

Ed