all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* full compile...
@ 2003-03-26  6:09 Tony Brown
From: Tony Brown @ 2003-03-26  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

is there anything in emacs.. that will let me compile a whole directory
like     javac *.java        in dos?

-Tony Brown

* Re: full compile...
@ 2003-03-26 21:56 ` kgold
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: kgold @ 2003-03-26 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think most of us use "make" with a makefile, and you will probably
want to do the same for a project of any decent size.

"make" is integrated with emacs, in that M-x compile runs make as the
default, and M-x next-error allows you to step through the errors
and jump to the source line with the error.

This works for C, C++, java, etc., and next-error works for grep and
occur.

You could modify emacs so that M-x compile runs javac, but learning
make is better in the long run.

"Tony Brown" <gtg137g@mail.gatech.edu> writes:
> is there anything in emacs.. that will let me compile a whole directory
> like     javac *.java        in dos?

Ken Goldman   kgold@watson.ibm.com   914-784-7646

* Re: full compile...
@ 2003-03-27  1:07 ` Ryan Shaw
       [not found] ` <mailman.3705.1048727260.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ryan Shaw @ 2003-03-27  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tony wrote:

> is there anything in emacs.. that will let me compile a whole
> directory like     javac *.java        in dos?

If you're working with a Java project, I highly recommend the
Java Development Environment for Emacs: http://jdee.sunsite.dk/

--
Ryan Shaw <ryan.shaw@vanten.com>

Senior Developer
Vanten K.K.
http://www.vanten.com/

GPG key ID: 0xCF08A67A      http://www.gnupg.org/
01EC B88E 1157 6083 EF54 46F0 9874 E65A CF08 A67A
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu  --recv-keys CF08A67A

* Re: full compile...
@ 2003-03-27  3:53 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.3705.1048727260.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-03-27  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "Tony Brown" <gtg137g@mail.gatech.edu>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 01:09:06 -0500
>
> is there anything in emacs.. that will let me compile a whole directory
> like     javac *.java        in dos?

Assuming you have javac installed, type "M-x compile RET" and then
type "javac *.java" at the prompt.

In other words, the command you type at "M-x compile"'s prompt is a
normal shell command, and uses the same semantics, wildcards, etc.

* Re: full compile...
       [not found] ` <mailman.3705.1048727260.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-03-27  5:45   ` Unknown
From: Unknown @ 2003-03-27  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ryan Shaw wrote:

> Tony wrote:
>
>> is there anything in emacs.. that will let me compile a whole
>> directory like     javac *.java        in dos?
>
> If you're working with a Java project, I highly recommend the
> Java Development Environment for Emacs: http://jdee.sunsite.dk/

Yes. Absolutely.  And you should be using a jde + ant + jikes or javamake to
automatically resolve class dependencies for fast solid incremental builds,
not javac.

--
Le