all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Help: M-a = backward paragraph
@ 2003-07-01 17:07 Benjamin Lanin
From: Benjamin Lanin @ 2003-07-01 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I type either M-a or "M-x backward-sentence" the cursor moves to the beginning of the paragraph, not the
beginning of the sentence. Note that this only happens in my own text buffers; these commands work as expected in
the tutorial. Same thing with M-e.

I've hunted the web a bit to no avail. I'm flummoxed. Can anyone help?

BTW, emacs 21.1.1 on OS X 10.2.6

Thanks

* Re: Help: M-a = backward paragraph
@ 2003-07-01 17:59 ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2003-07-01 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1103_1057079346@news.snet.sbcglobal.net>,
Benjamin Lanin  <blanin@snet.net> wrote:
>When I type either M-a or "M-x backward-sentence" the cursor moves to the
>beginning of the paragraph, not the
>beginning of the sentence. Note that this only happens in my own text
>buffers; these commands work as expected in
>the tutorial. Same thing with M-e.

My guess is you're not putting two spaces between your sentences (I only
see one space between "beginning of the sentence." and "Note that".

See the variables sentence-end and sentence-end-double-space.

--
Barry Margolin, barry.margolin@level3.com
Level(3), Woburn, MA