all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Printing Prolog with the standard GNU Emacs in the Windows 7
@ 2011-03-07 20:32 Antti J Ylikoski
From: Antti J Ylikoski @ 2011-03-07 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I would like to use the GNU Emacs Prolog mode:

M-x prolog-mode

for developing Prolog programs.  However, this activity necessitates the
capability to print buffers and files in the Windows 7 environment with
the GNU Emacs, to a standard printer such as the Canon Pixma MP560 which
I just happen to own -- preferably in Prolog mode colours.

So far I have not succeeded in printing the contents of buffers, or
files, with the standard GNU Emacs which I downloaded from the venerable
GNU site.

Could somebody help?  Even if this actually turns out to be a so-called
simpleminded question.

yours sincerely, Mr Antti J Ylikoski
Helsinki, Finland, the E.U.
Aalto University, HUT
http://www.tkk.fi/~ajy/

* Re: Printing Prolog with the standard GNU Emacs in the Windows 7
@ 2011-03-07 22:40 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2011-03-07 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Antti J Ylikoski <antti.ylikoski@elisanet.fi> writes:

> I would like to use the GNU Emacs Prolog mode:
>
> M-x prolog-mode
>
> for developing Prolog programs.  However, this activity necessitates
> the capability to print buffers and files in the Windows 7 environment
> with the GNU Emacs, to a standard printer such as the Canon Pixma
> MP560 which I just happen to own -- preferably in Prolog mode colours.
>
> So far I have not succeeded in printing the contents of buffers, or
> files, with the standard GNU Emacs which I downloaded from the
> venerable GNU site.
>
> Could somebody help?  Even if this actually turns out to be a
> so-called simpleminded question.

All I do to print is:

    M-x ps-print-buffer-with-faces RET

but then of course, it's on Linux...

Try to customize variables in the ps-print group, starting with
ps-printer-name.

* Re: Printing Prolog with the standard GNU Emacs in the Windows 7
@ 2011-03-07 23:54 ` Jason Earl
       [not found] ` <mailman.0.1299556741.22854.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jason Earl @ 2011-03-07 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Mar 07 2011, Antti J Ylikoski wrote:

> I would like to use the GNU Emacs Prolog mode:
>
> M-x prolog-mode
>
> for developing Prolog programs.  However, this activity necessitates
> the capability to print buffers and files in the Windows 7 environment
> with the GNU Emacs, to a standard printer such as the Canon Pixma
> MP560 which I just happen to own -- preferably in Prolog mode colours.
>
> So far I have not succeeded in printing the contents of buffers, or
> files, with the standard GNU Emacs which I downloaded from the
> venerable GNU site.
>
> Could somebody help?  Even if this actually turns out to be a
> so-called simpleminded question.
>
> yours sincerely, Mr Antti J Ylikoski
> Helsinki, Finland, the E.U.
> Aalto University, HUT
> http://www.tkk.fi/~ajy/

I have no idea how you print in a Windows environment, but, assuming
that you don't do a whole lot of printing you might want to take a look
at M-x htmlize-buffer.  This generates an html representation of your
buffer including CSS for colors etc.  You can then save this HTML file
somewhere and open it in Firefox (or whatever browser you use) and print
from there.

You might also try and take a look at:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/PrintingFromEmacs

I hope that's helpful.
Jason

* Re: Printing Prolog with the standard GNU Emacs in the Windows 7
@ 2011-03-08  3:56 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.0.1299556741.22854.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-03-08  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Antti J Ylikoski <antti.ylikoski@elisanet.fi>
> Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 22:32:50 +0200
>
> So far I have not succeeded in printing the contents of buffers, or
> files, with the standard GNU Emacs which I downloaded from the venerable
> GNU site.
>
> Could somebody help?  Even if this actually turns out to be a so-called
> simpleminded question.

Did you try the advice in the Emacs manual?  It is in the node named
"Windows Printing".

If you tried that and it didn't work, I suggest to install PrintFile
(http://www.lerup.com/printfile/) and configure lpr-command and
lpr-switches, resp. ps-lpr-command and ps-lpr-switches to have the
Emacs print commands use that program as a printer spooler.  (The
above-mentioned node in the manual explains how to do these
customizations and shows an example.)  PrintFile can print to the
default system printer or to any other printer defined on your Windows
box.

@ 2011-03-08 15:27   ` Antti J Ylikoski
From: Antti J Ylikoski @ 2011-03-08 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

8.3.2011 5:56, Eli Zaretskii kirjoitti:
>> From: Antti J Ylikoski<antti.ylikoski@elisanet.fi>
>> Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 22:32:50 +0200
>>
>> So far I have not succeeded in printing the contents of buffers, or
>> files, with the standard GNU Emacs which I downloaded from the venerable
>> GNU site.
>>
>> Could somebody help?  Even if this actually turns out to be a so-called
>> simpleminded question.
>
> Did you try the advice in the Emacs manual?  It is in the node named
> "Windows Printing".
>
> If you tried that and it didn't work, I suggest to install PrintFile
> (http://www.lerup.com/printfile/) and configure lpr-command and
> lpr-switches, resp. ps-lpr-command and ps-lpr-switches to have the
> Emacs print commands use that program as a printer spooler.  (The
> above-mentioned node in the manual explains how to do these
> customizations and shows an example.)  PrintFile can print to the
> default system printer or to any other printer defined on your Windows
> box.

OK, thank you for your communication.

I have been using the Emacs ever since 1979 - first the TOPS-20 Emacs
and most recently the GNU Emacs -- and I had in my hands a very old GNU
Emacs manual which does not mention this "Windows Printing".

I downloaded the most recent manual from the GNU site -- problem solved.

Thank you, Antti Ylikoski
Helsinki, Finland, the E.U.

PS.  I'm posting this here since it might be of help to some other
individuals.

Idem

* Re: Printing Prolog with the standard GNU Emacs in the Windows 7
@ 2011-03-09  0:02     ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2011-03-09  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

The Emacs manual is distributed with Emacs, so there should be no need to download it separately (unless you are using Debian, who separate the packages due to misguided licensing concerns. But this question was about Windows, so I assume that is not the case).