all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Pitfalls of switching to {ucs} and [utf8x]{inputenc} ?
@ 2005-06-30 14:51 Adam Funk
From: Adam Funk @ 2005-06-30 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw

Until now I've always edited my LaTeX documents with Emacs using the
ISO-Latin-1 encoding.  Recently I needed to put the "ž" (z with an
inverted circumflex, in case that doesn't show up correctly) in a
BibTeX entry so I decided to try switching the document (not very big
or complicated) to UTF8.

I changed
  \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
  \usepackage{ucs}
  \usepackage[utf8x]{inputenc}
in the preamble, loaded each file, set Emacs to save in UTF8, and
re-saved each file.  It worked like magic.

But before I do this to my thesis, I'd like to know if it's really that
simple or if there are any pitfalls?  If it matters, my thesis contains
a lot of occurrences of Swedish special characters in \text{...}
commands in math mode.

Adam

* Re: Pitfalls of switching to {ucs} and [utf8x]{inputenc} ?
@ 2005-06-30 15:23 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-06-30 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 30.06.2005 um 16:51 schrieb Adam Funk:

> But before I do this to my thesis, I'd like to know if it's really that
> simple or if there are any pitfalls?  If it matters, my thesis contains
> a lot of occurrences of Swedish special characters in \text{...}
> commands in math mode.

Make a test with one or more excerpts, edited a bit to contain quite
all Swedish characters!

Could be you meet some errors in the utf8 files of the LaTeX
distribution (a few were reported to LaTeX bugs:
http://www.latex-project.org/bugs-upload.html) ...

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

“I hope to die before I *have* to use Microsoft Word.”
      - Donald E. Knuth, 2001-10-02 in Tübingen.

* Re: Pitfalls of switching to {ucs} and [utf8x]{inputenc} ?
@ 2005-06-30 18:44 ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2005-06-30 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw

"Adam Funk" <a24061@yahoo.com> writes:

> Until now I've always edited my LaTeX documents with Emacs using the
> ISO-Latin-1 encoding.  Recently I needed to put the "ž" (z with an
> inverted circumflex, in case that doesn't show up correctly) in a
> BibTeX entry so I decided to try switching the document (not very big
> or complicated) to UTF8.
>
> I changed
>   \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
>   \usepackage{ucs}
>   \usepackage[utf8x]{inputenc}
> in the preamble, loaded each file, set Emacs to save in UTF8, and
> re-saved each file.  It worked like magic.
>
> But before I do this to my thesis, I'd like to know if it's really that
> simple or if there are any pitfalls?  If it matters, my thesis contains
> a lot of occurrences of Swedish special characters in \text{...}
> commands in math mode.

Not at all.  Before you do this on your thesis, you want to learn
about the command cp(1).

You never feed me.
Perhaps I'll sleep on your face.
That will sure show you.

* Re: Pitfalls of switching to {ucs} and [utf8x]{inputenc} ?
@ 2005-07-01  8:00   ` Markus Kuhn
From: Markus Kuhn @ 2005-07-01  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw

Pascal Bourguignon <pjb@informatimago.com> writes:
|> > I changed
|> >   \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
|> >   \usepackage{ucs}
|> >   \usepackage[utf8x]{inputenc}
|> > in the preamble, loaded each file, set Emacs to save in UTF8, and
|> > re-saved each file.  It worked like magic.

As long as you use only a ISO 8859 subset of Unicode, using the
complete ucs package is overkill. A simple

  \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}

will suffice instead on any recent LaTeX installation (e.g., tetex-3.0)
to handle UTF-8 input files. (By the way, it is UTF-8, not UTF8).

Markus

--
Markus Kuhn, Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ || CB3 0FD, Great Britain

* Re: Pitfalls of switching to {ucs} and [utf8x]{inputenc} ?
@ 2005-07-01  8:23   ` Adam Funk
From: Adam Funk @ 2005-07-01  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw

Pascal Bourguignon wrote:

> > But before I do this to my thesis, I'd like to know if it's really that
> > simple or if there are any pitfalls?  If it matters, my thesis contains
> > a lot of occurrences of Swedish special characters in \text{...}
> > commands in math mode.
>
> Not at all.  Before you do this on your thesis, you want to learn
> about the command cp(1).

:-)

It's on CVS.

* Re: Pitfalls of switching to {ucs} and [utf8x]{inputenc} ?
@ 2005-07-01  8:26     ` Adam Funk
From: Adam Funk @ 2005-07-01  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw

Markus Kuhn wrote:

> As long as you use only a ISO 8859 subset of Unicode, using the
> complete ucs package is overkill. A simple
>
>   \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
>
> will suffice instead on any recent LaTeX installation (e.g., tetex-3.0)
> to handle UTF-8 input files. (By the way, it is UTF-8, not UTF8).

I'm only using Western European characters and the occasional Eastern
European one, so I'll try it.

I'll try to remember "[utf8]" but "UTF-8".

@ 2005-07-01  8:57     ` Robin Fairbairns
From: Robin Fairbairns @ 2005-07-01  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw

 "Adam Funk" <a24061@yahoo.com> writes:
>Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
>> > But before I do this to my thesis, I'd like to know if it's really that
>> > simple or if there are any pitfalls?  If it matters, my thesis contains
>> > a lot of occurrences of Swedish special characters in \text{...}
>> > commands in math mode.
>>
>> Not at all.  Before you do this on your thesis, you want to learn
>> about the command cp(1).
>
>:-)
>
>It's on CVS.

oh, goodie.  can we all contribute?
--
Robin (http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq) Fairbairns, Cambridge

* Re: Pitfalls of switching to {ucs} and [utf8x]{inputenc} ?
@ 2005-07-01 18:20       ` Adam Funk
From: Adam Funk @ 2005-07-01 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw

On Friday 01 July 2005 09:57, Robin Fairbairns wrote:

>>> Not at all.  Before you do this on your thesis, you want to learn
>>> about the command cp(1).
>>
>>:-)
>>
>>It's on CVS.
>
> oh, goodie.  can we all contribute?

Depends on how many corrections I have to make!
;-)