Drew Adams writes: > Sorry I'm coming to this late. It's a long thread, > and I've only checked your patch, not the messages. > > I don't understand why we would do this. Is the > real aim to be able to have an empty-directory > predicate, i.e., to be able to see if there are > no files in a directory? Yes. > If so, then why not do just that, witout > bothering (changing the signature of) > `directory-files'? Because it is not possible to that efficiently with current elisp; how would you do that directly? OS does not have such call, one have to iterate through directories. At least I am not aware of such call. If you know, please tell me, I would be happy to use it, at least for myself. Fastest I am aware of is to get a buffered list with SYS_getdents and then check for first non-dot file. That changes complexity from linear in number of files in directory to constant (3 files at max). It works only on Linux kernel, and I don't know if there is nt version of such call, or what there is on macs. I suggested such predicate, but to not re-iterate entire discussion, pls check my first mail and followed 2 or 3 I think. > Is there really some use case for getting only > the first N files in a directory? I can > understand wanting to test whether a dir is > empty. I can't see why someone would want the > first N files (however "first" might be defined). Probably not; it is just a result of having count parameter. > The doc string itself seems to suggest that the > (only?) use case is to test for emptiness: > > You can use this function to short circuit evaluation > in case you are just interested to find if a directory > is empty or not (request one file and tell it to > ignore dot-files). It does not say only, but it suggests it can be usd in that way. But yes, that was the driver behind. Check the attachment; maybe something you would like to have in Dired+? I don't know if it could become a part of Dired itself, I believe it is probably too niche and subjective. > That need is clear enough. But what else is > COUNT useful for? How about having the doc > string also tell us what we can use a COUNT > value > 1 for? That's the case that really > needs pointing out, not the empty-dir-p case. > > And what is the order that defines which file > is first, second, etc.? Without knowing that, > what use is getting the "first" N? OS. There is no hard guarantee by OS:s that you will get files in particular order. I had that sentence in docs, but it was a bit too verse. I am not very literal of me, if you can phrase it better and more concise, please go ahead, I would appreciate. Check all docs if you have time and feel for it, I always need help with the language. > If this has already been raised, discussed, > and dismissed, fine - apologies for the noise. > If not, what's the raison d'etre for adding > optional parameter COUNT? I hope you don't mind me snitching your regex for nodots. I was trying to get one fast myself, and gave up after half hour, would never thought it was so picky to get that one right. > Why not just add a predicate `directory-empty-p'? :-) Check my first mail. I implemented one with that name. Best regards /a