all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Help information for imenu menubar
@ 2024-08-14 20:33 Heime
From: Heime @ 2024-08-14 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

I am adding imenu in the menubar.  Can one add help information
when the mouse is on the imenu menubar ?

(imenu-add-to-menubar name)

* Re: Help information for imenu menubar
@ 2024-08-15  5:29 ` Joel Reicher
From: Joel Reicher @ 2024-08-15  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heime; +Cc: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com> writes:

> I am adding imenu in the menubar.  Can one add help information
> when the mouse is on the imenu menubar ?

You can customise the imenu code if you want different text in the
menu.

Cheers,

        - Joel

* Re: Help information for imenu menubar
@ 2024-08-15 12:04   ` Heime
From: Heime @ 2024-08-15 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Reicher; +Cc: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.

On Thursday, August 15th, 2024 at 5:29 PM, Joel Reicher <joel.reicher@gmail.com> wrote:

> Heime heimeborgia@protonmail.com writes:
>
> > I am adding imenu in the menubar. Can one add help information
> > when the mouse is on the imenu menubar ?
>

> You can customise the imenu code if you want different text in the
> menu. - Joel

Agreed, but how ?

* Re: Help information for imenu menubar
@ 2024-08-17 13:52     ` Joel Reicher
From: Joel Reicher @ 2024-08-17 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heime; +Cc: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com> writes:

> On Thursday, August 15th, 2024 at 5:29 PM, Joel Reicher
> <joel.reicher@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Heime heimeborgia@protonmail.com writes:
>>
>>> I am adding imenu in the menubar. Can one add help information
>>> when the mouse is on the imenu menubar ?
>>
>> You can customise the imenu code if you want different text in
>> the menu.
>
> Agreed, but how ?

Redefine the functions involved.

I would argue this is what Emacs is all about. If some function
re-definitions are common then the function author may abstract
out those variations to variables (a form of parameterisation),
but in my opinion changing the value of such a variable is still a
redefinition of the function by indirect means, and so in the
absence of such a variable you still have to do the same thing by
direct means.

If a convenience variable has been provided, great. (A hook is an
example of this.)

If not, just redefine the function.

And if you think your redefinition may interest others, then maybe
parameterise the function and submit that code.

Cheers,

        - Joel