all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Backspace-like behavior
@ 2003-11-15 13:01 David Rasmussen
       [not found] ` <mailman.125.1068911535.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Rasmussen @ 2003-11-15 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

According to the tutorial I am reading, C-d works like Del works on most
windows editors, that is, it deletes the character to the right of the
cursor, and Del works like Backspace usually works:

C-d
     delete-char. Deletes the character to the right of (under, if the
cursor is a block that covers a character) the cursor.

DEL
     delete-backward-char. Deletes the character to the left of the cursor.

But both the Windows version of emacs that I am using, and the version
on a Debian box I am connecting to, treats C-d and Del the same way. How
do I do a normal Backspace, that deletes the character to the left of
the cursor? Backspace works on the windows version, but not on the
Debian version that I use via ssh. And according to the tutorial "Emacs
does not use C-h (aka Backspace) for deletion", so I will have to get
rid of the Backspace habit.

/David

* Re: Backspace-like behavior
@ 2003-11-15 14:50 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.125.1068911535.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-11-15 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: David Rasmussen <david.rasmussen@gmx.net>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 14:01:32 +0100
>
> But both the Windows version of emacs that I am using, and the version
> on a Debian box I am connecting to, treats C-d and Del the same way. How
> do I do a normal Backspace, that deletes the character to the left of
> the cursor?

You press Backspace.

> Backspace works on the windows version, but not on the Debian
> version that I use via ssh.

That's something you should figure out with your terminal emulator,
the one you use top log in to the Debian box: configure it so that
when you press Backspace, it sends the DEL character (ASCII decimal
code 127).

* Re: Backspace-like behavior
       [not found] ` <mailman.125.1068911535.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-11-15 15:15   ` David Rasmussen
From: David Rasmussen @ 2003-11-15 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>>From: David Rasmussen <david.rasmussen@gmx.net>
>>Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
>>Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 14:01:32 +0100
>>
>>But both the Windows version of emacs that I am using, and the version
>>on a Debian box I am connecting to, treats C-d and Del the same way. How
>>do I do a normal Backspace, that deletes the character to the left of
>>the cursor?
>
> You press Backspace.

So why doesn't backspace work on the linux box, and also, why did the
tutorial say that emacs doesn't use backspace?

>>Backspace works on the windows version, but not on the Debian
>>version that I use via ssh.
>
> That's something you should figure out with your terminal emulator,
> the one you use top log in to the Debian box: configure it so that
> when you press Backspace, it sends the DEL character (ASCII decimal
> code 127).

OK.

/David

* Re: Backspace-like behavior
@ 2003-11-15 18:04     ` Bob Nelson
From: Bob Nelson @ 2003-11-15 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Rasmussen <david.rasmussen@gmx.net> wrote:
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>>>From: David Rasmussen <david.rasmussen@gmx.net>
>>>Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
>>>Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 14:01:32 +0100
>>>
>>>But both the Windows version of emacs that I am using, and the version
>>>on a Debian box I am connecting to, treats C-d and Del the same way. How
>>>do I do a normal Backspace, that deletes the character to the left of
>>>the cursor?
>>
>> You press Backspace.

> So why doesn't backspace work on the linux box, and also, why did the
> tutorial say that emacs doesn't use backspace?
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The Emacs tutorial (C-h t) in version 21.3 includes these remarks about
the key with the label of ``Backspace'':

    You can delete the last character you typed by typing <Delback>.
    <Delback> is a key on the keyboard--the same one you normally use,
    outside Emacs, for deleting the last character you typed.  It is
    normally a large key a couple of lines up from the <Return> key, and
    it is usually labeled "Delete", "Del" or "Backspace".

    If the large key there is labeled "Backspace", then that's the one you
    use for <Delback>.  There may also be another key labeled "Delete"
    somewhere else, but that's not <Delback>.