all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#10798: 24.0.93; read-file-name
@ 2012-02-12 16:58 Francis Wright
From: Francis Wright @ 2012-02-12 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 10798

The last sentence of the penultimate paragraph of the docstring for
`read-file-name' doesn't make sense to me. It reads as follows:

. For graphical file dialogs, any the special values

of MUSTMATCH; `confirm' and `confirm-after-completion' are

treated as equivalent to nil.

Perhaps the word "any" should be "ignore".

* bug#10798: 24.0.93; read-file-name
@ 2012-02-13 18:44 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-02-13 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Francis Wright; +Cc: 10798

Francis Wright wrote:

[read-file-name doc]

> For graphical file dialogs, any the special values of MUSTMATCH;
> `confirm' and `confirm-after-completion' are treated as equivalent to
> nil.

By inspection, it should say something like:

  For graphical file dialogs, any of the special values of MUSTMATCH
  `confirm' and `confirm-after-completion' are treated as equivalent to
  nil.

The idea is that MUSTMATCH = t is still supposed to work.
However, it does not work for me with GTK+ Version 2.18.9 on GNU/Linux
with 23.4 or the current trunk.

I tested with:

(define-key-after menu-bar-help-menu [key]
  '(menu-item "foo" foo))

(defun foo (file)
  (interactive (list (read-file-name "foo: " nil nil t)))
  (setq foo file))

I can happily input a file name that does not exist via the menu-item.

* bug#10798: 24.0.93; read-file-name
@ 2012-02-13 22:48   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-02-13 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 10798-done

Version: 24.0.94

I updated the doc to say:

    For graphical file dialogs, any of the special values of MUSTMATCH
    `confirm' and `confirm-after-completion' are treated as equivalent
    to nil.  Some graphical file dialogs respect a MUSTMATCH value of t,
    and some do not (or it only has a cosmetic effect, and does not
    actually prevent the user from entering a non-existent file).