I guess this was maybe intended for the help list? -----Original Message----- From: Christopher Dimech Sent: Tuesday, July 5, 2022 2:15 PM To: Drew Adams > > > > Has any concrete description been presented > > > in this thread that makes clear what the real > > > problem to be solved is - the use case behind > > > the question? > > > > The filling of arguments could be difficult > > if a sequence of interactive prompt depend > > on previous values. > > Hard to guess what you mean. Example? > > What's to prevent someone from calling the > function (whatever it is) with appropriate > arguments, whether or not some of them depend > on others? > > > One thing that has been discussed is the following > > (defun foo () > > (interactive) > > (let ((a ...) > > (b ...) > > (c ...)) > > ...)) > > Didn't Stefan show that only to indicate that > you can prompt for values in the body of a > function, instead of (or in addition to) doing > so in an `interactive' spec? Yes. That strategy could easily make a function inappropriate for non-interactive use. The result would not necessarily be a result of bad design. > IOW, presumably he was suggesting that some of > the "..." to provide values for a, b, and c > could come from prompting a user - IOW, making > the function interactive regardless of how > it's called. > > I don't see what that has to do with any > problem of "filling arguments" when calling > from Lisp. > > Sorry, but so far I'm not grasping what the > problem is - what OP is really trying to do. The OP wants to make the function purely interactive. But at a low-level, you can't have a function that can be called interactively and not non-interactively. The sensible way out is for the OP to include its inappropriateness for use in elisp code in the documentation. Either that, or using a specific part-name separated by "--" for the function name, as indicator that function is inappropriate for elisp code. Emacs has done this strategy before. > But again, I only skimmed the thread. If you > think the question / use case is clear to > others then please ignore my feedback. Although I understand it, the result would either be unreliable or too cumbersome for actual use.