all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#57250: emacs-lisp-mode not highlighting single characters `k' in comments
@ 2022-08-16 18:57 uzibalqa via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: uzibalqa via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2022-08-16 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 57250

With emacs-lisp-mode make a comment that includes character sequences enclosed
by tick ` and a single quote ' .

The character sequence within gets highlighted with a different colour than the
usual typeface for comments.

Example:

;; Insert `cog', `col', `com', `con', `cor', `coun', `cum'.

The character sequences cog, col, com, con, cor, coun, and cum get highlighted

But if the character sequence within tick ` and a single quote ' is a single
character, the character does not get highlighted.

Example:

;; Insert `k' for words with initial values.

The character k does not get highlighted.

* bug#57250: emacs-lisp-mode not highlighting single characters `k' in comments
  2022-08-16 18:57 bug#57250: emacs-lisp-mode not highlighting single characters `k' in comments uzibalqa via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
@ 2022-08-16 19:11 ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2022-08-16 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: uzibalqa, 57250

editors" <bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> But if the character sequence within tick ` and a single quote ' is a single
> character, the character does not get highlighted.
>
> Example:
>
> ;; Insert `k' for words with initial values.
>
> The character k does not get highlighted.

That's because k here is more likely to be a key than a Lisp symbol.

So I think this is expected.

* bug#57250: emacs-lisp-mode not highlighting single characters `k' in comments
@ 2022-08-16 19:17   ` uzibalqa via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: uzibalqa via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2022-08-16 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas; +Cc: 57250

> uzibalqa via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text
> editors" bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org writes:
>
> > But if the character sequence within tick ` and a single quote ' is a single
> > character, the character does not get highlighted.
> >
> > Example:
> >
> > ;; Insert `k' for words with initial values.
> >
> > The character k does not get highlighted.
>

> That's because k here is more likely to be a key than a Lisp symbol.
>
> So I think this is expected.

What is the reason for the highlight for more than a single character?

* bug#57250: emacs-lisp-mode not highlighting single characters `k' in comments
@ 2022-08-16 19:23   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2022-08-16 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas, uzibalqa, 57250@debbugs.gnu.org

> > But if the character sequence within tick ` and a single quote ' is a
> single
> > character, the character does not get highlighted.
> >
> > Example:
> >
> > ;; Insert `k' for words with initial values.
> >
> > The character k does not get highlighted.
>
> That's because k here is more likely to be a key than a Lisp symbol.
>
> So I think this is expected.

FWIW, I don't think it should be expected.

And even if it were expected to consider it
a key, that's not a reason not to highlight
it.  Keys such as `M-x' do get highlighted.

To me, this is a minor bug or a nice-to-have.
If it can be fixed reasonably then that would
be good.

We need not expect, for this bug fix, that
things like `C-x C-x', which contains a SPC
char, would also get fixed (highlighted).

That would be nice, but there's only so much
that reasonably can be done.  Highlighting
everything from ` to ' would likely introduce
a fair number of problems.  (And then there
are things like a `C-x C-x' that's split
across a newline...)

* bug#57250: emacs-lisp-mode not highlighting single characters `k' in comments
@ 2022-08-16 20:31     ` uzibalqa via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: uzibalqa via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2022-08-16 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: Stefan Kangas, 57250@debbugs.gnu.org

> > > But if the character sequence within tick ` and a single quote ' is a
> > > single
> > > character, the character does not get highlighted.
> > >
> > > Example:
> > >
> > > ;; Insert `k' for words with initial values.
> > >
> > > The character k does not get highlighted.
> >
> > That's because k here is more likely to be a key than a Lisp symbol.
> >
> > So I think this is expected.
>

> FWIW, I don't think it should be expected.
>
> And even if it were expected to consider it
> a key, that's not a reason not to highlight
> it.

I agree.  That has been my argument.

Keys such as `M-x' do get highlighted. To me, this is a minor bug or a nice-to-have. If it can be fixed reasonably then that would be good. We need not expect, for this bug fix, that things like` C-x C-x', which contains a SPC
> char, would also get fixed (highlighted).
>
> That would be nice, but there's only so much
> that reasonably can be done. Highlighting
> everything from `to ' would likely introduce a fair number of problems. (And then there are things like a`C-x C-x' that's split
> across a newline...)

It would valuable to highlight everything from ` to ' if they happen on tho same line.

Or some other mechanism to highlight certain elements in comments that would benefit out of emphasising.

@ 2022-08-17 11:16 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2022-08-17 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: uzibalqa; +Cc: 57250

uzibalqa <uzibalqa@proton.me> writes:

> But if the character sequence within tick  `  and a single quote  '  is a single
> character,  the character does not get highlighted.
>
> Example:
>
> ;; Insert `k' for words with initial values.

This is the case in Emacs 27.1, but not in later versions of Emacs.

Closing.