all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* RE: [External] : Re: In search for an emacs hacker
@ 2021-09-06 23:39   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2021-09-06 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gebser@mousecar.com, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> I would suggest (1) finding some
> webspace for your project... I'll let others make suggestions for that.

Anyone can use Emacs Wiki for things like this.
Just create a page (or pages) for what you want.

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/

* Re: [External] : Re: In search for an emacs hacker
@ 2021-09-07  2:10     ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-09-07  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Drew Adams wrote:

>> I would suggest (1) finding some webspace for your
>> project... I'll let others make suggestions for that.
>
> Anyone can use Emacs Wiki for things like this. Just create
> a page (or pages) for what you want.

Hey, isn't it _laundry_ academics are supposed to not know how
to do?

But it is actually Emacs??

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: [External] : Re: In search for an emacs hacker
@ 2021-09-07  7:39       ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-09-07  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

But while I don't agree with the OP's world view in this
respect I do agree like everyone sensible would that we'd like
Emacs as strong as possible in CS, IT, engineering and the
whole scientific and educated sphere of society.

It is not really that they have more important jobs and we
want to help out, or that they have more important ideas and
thus more influential or anything like that. It is rather ...
well, what they do is information processing, and Emacs is
a tool for that, so it makes sense to be there as much as
possible, for all parts!

Okay, but isn't there a construction worker who uses Emacs to
compute strength of beams or have it tell him when to buy
a new pack of anchor nail? Well, if there is we certainly want
him (or her) to use Emacs as well, it is just how do you even
approach that?

But with the scientific/engineering world we already have
a lot of stuff and personal backgrounds as well and what it
comes down to is rather just what kind of tools they use, that
isn't Emacs, and what kind of stuff happens then which we
can't do?

So do tell, maybe I want to do it even :) OP: 150 USD is fine,
thank you! Or I have forgot what the offer was. 1500?

--

@ 2021-09-12 12:54 Vitus Schäfftlein
From: Vitus Schäfftlein @ 2021-09-12 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel, I need to admit that I have a hard time understanding your
resentment against academics. I have never come across someone who
thought in terms of "plebians" and "aristos", most of the ones I know
would rather think in terms of bourgeoisie and proletariat (my
background is philosophy, though). Anyway, what I mean by "academics"
are PhD students, post docs, and (junior) professors of _any_ field. I
strongly agree that academics don't have more important jobs, but that
emacs is simply well-suited for their aims. My reasons do not concern
the "superiority of academics", but my worries about the dependency of
university

My main idea is that there is a common ground for any academic:
literature research, reading pdfs, taking notes and writing/publishing
papers (either about these PDFs or about something else). No matter if
you are a physicist, social scientist, philosopher, computer scientiest,
linguist or philosopher, you need to do these things. Now, my view is
that these things are not connected closely enough in emacs in order to
have a nice workflow. To drive home my point, here are some examples:

 1. org-roam-bibtex and pdf-tools are not connected. For example, there
    should be a function that takes selected text or annotations and
    prints it as a citation in an org-roam-capture buffer, using the
    information of the bibtex-entry connected to the pdf by
    org-roam-bibtex. For example, if you selected "foo" on PDF page 6,
    the author is A, the year is y, there should be a function which
    opens a capture-buffer, which contains this: "foo. (A, y,
    [link-to-pdf-at-page-6 named 'p. 6'])".
 2. pdf-tools lacks some important functionality. For example,
    differentiating between page labels and page numbers and
    selection-behavior as in Adobe Reader.
 3. org-noter is not really configurable since its main function is 200
    lines long and hard-coded.
 4. org-roam-ui does not allow to display only parts of all
    org-roam-notes (for examples filtered by directory or tags) and is,
    thus, not well to oversee.

Among many other things, this impedes workflow dramatically, and I would
like to change this. Scimax is nice for statistics and all, but does not
handle these problems. I hope this gives an idea of what I want to do. I
don't really know how to code, but I do know what functionalities would
be great for academics and how they should function exactly. If anyone
is interested in working with me, please get in touch with me!

Best regards,

Vitus

P. S.: Another major issue is that syntax highlighting becomes makes
emacs so slow if you have several org-ref-citations in one paragraph or
LaTeX-document with many prettified symbols. I hope there there will be
a tree-sitter package for org-mode and LaTeX soon...

* Re: In search for an emacs hacker
@ 2021-09-13  9:24 ` Arash Esbati
From: Arash Esbati @ 2021-09-13  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vitus Schäfftlein; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Vitus Schäfftlein <v_scha12@uni-muenster.de> writes:

> P. S.: Another major issue is that syntax highlighting becomes makes
> emacs so slow if you have several org-ref-citations in one paragraph
> or LaTeX-document with many prettified symbols.

Installing Symbola font[1] might help here.  Emacs is known to get slow
if it's searching through all your installed fonts to find appropriate
symbols to display.

Best, Arash

Footnotes:
[1]  https://dn-works.com/ufas/

* Re: In search for an emacs hacker
@ 2021-09-24  6:00 ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-09-24  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Vitus Schäfftlein wrote:

> Emanuel, I need to admit that I have a hard time
> understanding your resentment against academics. I have
> never come across someone who thought in terms of "plebians"
> and "aristos"

Ha, I don't think I wrote that, in ancient Rome there were
plebeians and patricians. The word "plebeian" may "be related
to the Greek, plēthos, meaning masses". [1] However the slaves
were even more the masses both in terms of numbers and the
meaning of the word and what's more "[b]y 287 BC, plebeians
had eliminated their political disadvantages in relation to
the patricians" which I don't think the slaves every did. [1]

> most of the ones I know would rather think in terms of
> bourgeoisie and proletariat

Yes, "most" of the ones I know as well, at least the ones that
were young 1968~1975 are likely to at least be familiar to the
terms ...

> my background is philosophy

Check out the "Dining Philosopher" problem from CS scheduling
theory ...

> 1. org-roam-bibtex [...]
> 2. pdf-tools [...]
> 3. org-noter [...]
> 4. org-roam-ui [...]

I'm not an Org user and also do not use pdf-tools so I can't
help you but if you describe the problems you experience
a little less broadly here or on #emacs I'm sure what you
describe can be corrected and so will benefit any future user
regardless of profession or life inclination ...

> Another major issue is that syntax highlighting becomes
> makes emacs so slow [...]

It is known as font lock in the Emacs world and it shouldn't
make Emacs slow, again ask for help or do `emacs-report-bug'
to get help/hopefully have the issue fixed.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plebeians

--

@ 2021-09-24  6:07   ` Thibaut Verron
From: Thibaut Verron @ 2021-09-24  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg, help-gnu-emacs

> > Another major issue is that syntax highlighting becomes
> > makes emacs so slow [...]
>
> It is known as font lock in the Emacs world and it shouldn't
> make Emacs slow, again ask for help or do `emacs-report-bug'
> to get help/hopefully have the issue fixed.

That's a bold statement. Font lock can involve arbitrarily complicated
regular expressions (maybe even arbitrary code?), and depending on the
major mode it can be slow. Typical examples are large latex or org
buffers.

The advice to report occurrences as a bug is sound, but if it's not a
core mode, the bug report should probably be addressed to the relevant
developers.

* Re: In search for an emacs hacker
@ 2021-09-24  6:37     ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-09-24  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thibaut Verron wrote:

>>> Another major issue is that syntax highlighting becomes
>>> makes emacs so slow [...]
>>
>> It is known as font lock in the Emacs world and it
>> shouldn't make Emacs slow, again ask for help or do
>> `emacs-report-bug' to get help/hopefully have the
>> issue fixed.
>
> That's a bold statement.

No pun intended ...

> Font lock can involve arbitrarily complicated regular
> expressions (maybe even arbitrary code?), and depending on
> the major mode it can be slow. Typical examples are large
> latex [...] buffers.
>
> The advice to report occurrences as a bug is sound, but if
> it's not a core mode, the bug report should probably be
> addressed to the relevant developers.

There are several modes for LaTeX, I use `tex-mode' which is
"part of GNU Emacs" with "Maintainer: emacs-devel@gnu.org"
(tex-mode.el) and I have never experienced that that makes
Emacs slow.

But in general, put in crazy stuff and all bets are of with
the outcome - it can be crazy as well, even.

However here in particular, I've heard that font-lock is
carried out by the idle timer so in theory it shouldn't be
possible for it to slow down Emacs. But maybe in practice the
idle timer just _executes_ stuff when Emacs is idling and
cannot later preempt it once commenced ...
collaborative/cooperative after all.

--

@ 2021-09-24 16:50   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2021-09-24 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg; +Cc: 'Help-Gnu-Emacs (help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org)'

> > most of the ones I know would rather think in terms of
> > bourgeoisie and proletariat
>
> Yes, "most" of the ones I know as well, at least the ones that
> were young 1968~1975 are likely to at least be familiar to the
> terms ...

Everyone was young in 1968-1975.

Even the old were made young, in some cases for the first time.

 ;-)

[-- Attachment #2: winmail.dat --]
[-- Type: application/ms-tnef, Size: 12967 bytes --]

* Re: [External] : Re: In search for an emacs hacker
@ 2021-09-24 17:19     ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-09-24 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Drew Adams wrote:

>>> most of the ones I know would rather think in terms of
>>> bourgeoisie and proletariat
>>
>> Yes, "most" of the ones I know as well, at least the ones
>> that were young 1968~1975 are likely to at least be
>> familiar to the terms ...
>
> Everyone was young in 1968-1975.

You are right. The 90s feels long ago but within some grasp,
the 80s feels very long ago and the 70s, it is almost like the
real past, like the 17th century or something ...

> Even the old were made young, in some cases for the
> first time.

Very poetic. And sad!

Well, it's life. Not even Emacs can do anything about it.

--

@ 2021-09-24 18:45       ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2021-09-24 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg; +Cc: 'Help-Gnu-Emacs (help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org)'