all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Kevin Reeder <avail@uponrequest.org>
Subject: Re: Init error message
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 07:53:21 GMT	[thread overview]

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 18:14:10 -0800, Le Wang wrote:

> XEmacs is a fine emacs.  Use what you want.  But PLEASE don't go out of
> your way to antagonize people.
>
> --
> Le

I'm puzzled by this last remark not only because the newsgroup is titled
GNU.emacs.help but also I'm wary of the delicate feelings connected with
peoples' relationship with their editor and chose my words carefully. One
responder brought up the issue of the Xemacs init file (see above, "Emacs
does not have auto-save.el -- was the code from an XEmacs user?"), so, in
responding, I included the information that I had, in fact, been using
that emacs. Finally, one clever responder made an ironic comment to which
I retorted a admittedly feeble effort at tasteful irony.

Altogether, it seems a stretch to say that I was deliberately antagonizing
people. I'll salt the lesson away, nonetheless.

Back to my init file efforts. I've set my old .emacs aside for now and
started with a blank slate (tabula rasa as it were). Next I've gotten
deeper into the Emacs info node (bonk!) as a new companion to my O'Reilly
manual. Thus, I'm moving ahead and learning as I go. Thanks for the tips
one and all.

Kevin