all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs start page
@ 2008-01-23 13:42 ilovemiami
From: ilovemiami @ 2008-01-23 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am using fedora 8 right now. I got an annoying problem in the emacs
come with the distribution.

Everytime I start emacs to open a file, either old or new,I always got
a default emacs message page. The page will dispaear when I press any
key. That is annoying to me. Is there any way I can disable this
feature?

Thanks.

* Re: emacs start page
@ 2008-01-23 16:53 ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2008-01-23 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

ilovemiami wrote:
> I am using fedora 8 right now. I got an annoying problem in the emacs
> come with the distribution.
>
> Everytime I start emacs to open a file, either old or new,I always got
> a default emacs message page. The page will dispaear when I press any
> key. That is annoying to me. Is there any way I can disable this
> feature?
>
> Thanks.

If this is same screen you see when you do Menu>Help>About Emacs, then
adding (setq inhibit-splash-screen t) to your .emacs file will suppress
its display (and also the 3 info lines in *scratch*

Ed

* Re: emacs start page
@ 2008-01-23 17:28   ` Will Parsons
From: Will Parsons @ 2008-01-23 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

B. T. Raven wrote:
> ilovemiami wrote:
>> I am using fedora 8 right now. I got an annoying problem in the emacs
>> come with the distribution.
>>
>> Everytime I start emacs to open a file, either old or new,I always got
>> a default emacs message page. The page will dispaear when I press any
>> key. That is annoying to me. Is there any way I can disable this
>> feature?
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> If this is same screen you see when you do Menu>Help>About Emacs, then
> adding (setq inhibit-splash-screen t) to your .emacs file will suppress
> its display (and also the 3 info lines in *scratch*

The problem is that suppresses the splash screen unconditionally, whereas
I at any rate like to see the splash screen if Emacs is started without
specifying a file.  I asked a question similar to the OP's a while ago,
and got the following suggestion for .emacs from Sven Joachim:

(when (> (length command-line-args) 1)
  (setq inhibit-splash-screen t))

(There were other more complex suggestions from other people, but the above
works fine for my purposes.)

- Will

* Re: emacs start page
@ 2008-01-23 18:19 ` Exal de Jesus Garcia Carrillo