all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Package for creating/opening zip files
@ 2003-02-04 16:07 Peter Lee
From: Peter Lee @ 2003-02-04 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyon know of such a beast that would work for emacs 21.2 on
winxp.

Thanks.

* Re: Package for creating/opening zip files
@ 2003-02-04 16:32 ` Klaus Berndl
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2003-02-04 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 04 Feb 2003, Peter Lee wrote:

>  Does anyon know of such a beast that would work for emacs 21.2 on
>  winxp.

arc-mode.el which is shipped with your Emacs...

You can also check auto-compression-mode which is also contained in your
Emacs...

Ciao,
klaus

--
Klaus Berndl			mailto: klaus.berndl@sdm.de
sd&m AG				http://www.sdm.de

* Re: Package for creating/opening zip files
@ 2003-02-04 19:18   ` Peter Lee
From: Peter Lee @ 2003-02-04 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Klaus Berndl <klaus.berndl@sdm.de> writes:

> arc-mode.el which is shipped with your Emacs...
> You can also check auto-compression-mode which is also contained in your
> Emacs...

Thanks Klaus !

* Re: Package for creating/opening zip files
@ 2003-02-07  2:23 ` Bijan Soleymani
From: Bijan Soleymani @ 2003-02-07  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Lee <spam@nospam.org> writes:

> Does anyon know of such a beast that would work for emacs 21.2 on
> winxp.
>
> Thanks.
Not to sidetrack you but there are excellent free extractor programs
for windows. 7zip is a very promissing one. Handles zip, tar, gzip,
bzip2. It also has its own format .7z which offers the best
compression anywhere. Also its zip files are smaller than pkzip zip
files.

Of course emacs can handle compressed files, all you have to do is
enable the feature. Info on this is in the emacs manual under
compresssed files heading in the file handling section.

However this requires external programs. I think the windows version
expects pkunzip in the path. I am almost certain that info-zip (the
free software zip) should be a drop in replacement, as info-zip is
what is used in GNU/Linux.

http://www.7-zip.org/

http://www.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/

Bijan

* Re: Package for creating/opening zip files
@ 2003-02-08 23:04   ` Jonadab the Unsightly One
From: Jonadab the Unsightly One @ 2003-02-08 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com> writes:

> However this requires external programs. I think the windows version
> expects pkunzip in the path. I am almost certain that info-zip (the
> free software zip) should be a drop in replacement, as info-zip is
> what is used in GNU/Linux.

It is functionally equivalent and compatible at the file format level,
but I'm not sure how drop-in it would be.  The command-line arguments
are different for pkzip/pkunzip versus pkzipc (the newer win32 console
version; this comes with pkzip/pkunzip compatibility apps that just
translate the command-line and call pkzipc to do the work, but that is
not installed by default, for reasons I don't understand).  I know
info-zip's command-line structure is substantially different also from
pkzip/pkunzip, but I'm not sure how similar info-zip's commandline may
be to that of pkzipc.  It is also notable that pkzipc and info-zip can
handle certain filenames (e.g., .emacs) that will cause pkzip/pkunzip
to skip the file.  (Also, _old_ versions of pkzip/pkunzip (pre-1996 or
so) do not support LFNs at all.)

It would be relatively easy to write a small app that takes
commandline arguments in the style of any of these tools, translates
them, and calls another of the tools to do the work.  For example, a
tool that emulates info-zip by calling pkzipc or pkzip would not be a
terribly difficult piece of glue to construct.  But I don't know
whether such a thing has been done (except, as I said, that pkzipc
comes (optionally) with such a frontend that emulates pkzip/pkunzip).

--
(defun switch-to-scratch () (interactive) "Switch to *scratch* buffer."
(switch-to-buffer (get-buffer-create "*scratch*")))

* Re: Package for creating/opening zip files
@ 2003-02-09  5:46     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-02-09  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8 Feb 2003, Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:

> It is functionally equivalent and compatible at the file format level,
> but I'm not sure how drop-in it would be.  The command-line arguments
> are different for pkzip/pkunzip versus pkzipc (the newer win32 console
> version; this comes with pkzip/pkunzip compatibility apps that just
> translate the command-line and call pkzipc to do the work, but that is
> not installed by default, for reasons I don't understand).  I know
> info-zip's command-line structure is substantially different also from
> pkzip/pkunzip, but I'm not sure how similar info-zip's commandline may
> be to that of pkzipc.

Emacs supports pkzip and InfoZip's zip/unzip.  Any program that is not
compatible to either of these will require changes in arc-mode.el to
support it (or a wrapper program to implement the compatibility layer
externally to Emacs).