all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* LF / CR problem
@ 2002-11-20 13:17 Jon Rogers
From: Jon Rogers @ 2002-11-20 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello

I run the emacs version that come bundled with RedHat 8. When I load
files from my dying Mac, the new line situation is handled satisfactory,
so that files that look like crap when viewed with the "more" command
are displayed correctly.

However, when I save them from emacs, they still look the same in more.
I'd like to be able to "export" the text file so that it uses linux line
feed and not the Mac dito, just the way it looks in emacs. I guess this
is possible, but I can't understand how to do it.

/ Jon

* RE: LF / CR problem
@ 2002-11-20 13:39 Victor Kirk
From: Victor Kirk @ 2002-11-20 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> However, when I save them from emacs, they still look the same in more.
> I'd like to be able to "export" the text file so that it uses linux line
> feed and not the Mac dito, just the way it looks in emacs. I guess this
> is possible, but I can't understand how to do it.

set-buffer-file-coding-system

Vic
--
This message, including attachments, is intended only for the use by the
person(s) to whom it is addressed. It may contain information which is

* Re: LF / CR problem
@ 2002-11-20 14:20 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-11-20 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Jon Rogers wrote:

> However, when I save them from emacs, they still look the same in more.
> I'd like to be able to "export" the text file so that it uses linux line
> feed and not the Mac dito, just the way it looks in emacs. I guess this
> is possible, but I can't understand how to do it.

C-x RET f undecided-unix RET C-x C-s

* Re: LF / CR problem
@ 2002-11-20 23:35 ` Richard V. Molen
From: Richard V. Molen @ 2002-11-20 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jon Rogers <jon@rogers.tv> writes:

> Hello
>
> I run the emacs version that come bundled with RedHat 8. When I load
> files from my dying Mac, the new line situation is handled satisfactory,
> so that files that look like crap when viewed with the "more" command
> are displayed correctly.

FWIW, for a non-Emacs solution 'man mac2unix' or 'man dos2unix'.

--
Richard V. Molen

Warning!!
Signature under construction, safety glasses required.

* Re: LF / CR problem
@ 2002-11-21 18:54 ` kgold
From: kgold @ 2002-11-21 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use eol-conversion.el, which provides functions and drop down menus
for converting to DOS, MAC, and Unix line endings.

Ken Goldman   kgold@watson.ibm.com   914-784-7646