all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Gnu emacs 21.2 in HP-UX 11.11
@ 2002-11-10 18:32 Tapani Tarvainen
From: Tapani Tarvainen @ 2002-11-10 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a strange problem with Gnu emacs 21.2 in HP-UX 11.11.

Specifically, whenever a buffer has shrunk so much that emacs
automatically disables auto-save, it freezes. Nothing short of
killing will have any effect.

The problem is specific to 21.2, it does not occur with 21.1
with exactly same configuration (built with identical commands
except different --prefix). The only unusual configure option
I use is --without-xim, and I'm using HP's ANSI C compiler.

It doesn't depend on any local initialization files, I tested
with -q --no-site-file.
It does depend on X setup, or at least the problem doesn't
occur with -nw.

Suggestions, anyone?

--
Tapani Tarvainen

* Re: Gnu emacs 21.2 in HP-UX 11.11
@ 2002-11-11  5:49 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-11-11  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10 Nov 2002, Tapani Tarvainen wrote:

> I have a strange problem with Gnu emacs 21.2 in HP-UX 11.11.
>
> Specifically, whenever a buffer has shrunk so much that emacs
> automatically disables auto-save, it freezes. Nothing short of
> killing will have any effect.
>
> The problem is specific to 21.2, it does not occur with 21.1
> with exactly same configuration (built with identical commands
> except different --prefix). The only unusual configure option
> I use is --without-xim, and I'm using HP's ANSI C compiler.
>
> It doesn't depend on any local initialization files, I tested
> with -q --no-site-file.
> It does depend on X setup, or at least the problem doesn't
> occur with -nw.
>
> Suggestions, anyone?

This should have been sent to gnu.emacs.bug, not here.  Please consider
taking this thread there.

My suspicion is that this has something to do with the fact 21.2 changed
the way buffer memory is allocated in small ways.  That caused bugs on
some systems, those bugs are fixed for the next release.

* Re: Gnu emacs 21.2 in HP-UX 11.11
@ 2002-11-11  7:41 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-11  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tapani Tarvainen <tt+gn20021110T202031@it.jyu.fi> writes:

> I have a strange problem with Gnu emacs 21.2 in HP-UX 11.11.
>
> Specifically, whenever a buffer has shrunk so much that emacs
> automatically disables auto-save, it freezes. Nothing short of
> killing will have any effect.

Ayee!  This sounds like a nasty one.  I would suggest that you try
both the current pretest version and the CVS head and make bug
reports if the problem is still there.

The pretest can be had from alpha.gnu.org I think and there should be
instructions on Savannah for fetching the most recent CVS head.
(http://savannah.gnu.org/)

kai

* Re: Gnu emacs 21.2 in HP-UX 11.11
       [not found] <mailman.1036994503.8046.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-11-11 13:09 ` Tapani Tarvainen
From: Tapani Tarvainen @ 2002-11-11 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

[cross-posted and follow-up set to g.e.bug]

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@is.elta.co.il> writes:

> On 10 Nov 2002, Tapani Tarvainen wrote:
>
> > I have a strange problem with Gnu emacs 21.2 in HP-UX 11.11.
> >
> > Specifically, whenever a buffer has shrunk so much that emacs
> > automatically disables auto-save, it freezes. Nothing short of
> > killing will have any effect.
> >
> > The problem is specific to 21.2, it does not occur with 21.1
> > with exactly same configuration (built with identical commands
> > except different --prefix). The only unusual configure option
> > I use is --without-xim, and I'm using HP's ANSI C compiler.
> >
> > It doesn't depend on any local initialization files, I tested
> > with -q --no-site-file.
> > It does depend on X setup, or at least the problem doesn't
> > occur with -nw.
> >
> > Suggestions, anyone?
>
> This should have been sent to gnu.emacs.bug, not here.  Please consider
> taking this thread there.

Done.

> My suspicion is that this has something to do with the fact 21.2 changed
> the way buffer memory is allocated in small ways.  That caused bugs on
> some systems, those bugs are fixed for the next release.

OK.

One more datum: changing optimization levels had no effect
(I tried +O1, +O2 and none, and -g).

--
Tapani Tarvainen

* Re: Gnu emacs 21.2 in HP-UX 11.11
@ 2002-11-11 14:12   ` Tapani Tarvainen
From: Tapani Tarvainen @ 2002-11-11 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Tapani Tarvainen <tt+gn20021110T202031@it.jyu.fi> writes:
>
> > I have a strange problem with Gnu emacs 21.2 in HP-UX 11.11.
> >
> > Specifically, whenever a buffer has shrunk so much that emacs
> > automatically disables auto-save, it freezes. Nothing short of
> > killing will have any effect.

> The pretest can be had from alpha.gnu.org

I picked 21.2.92 from there and it seems the problem
has been fixed. :-)

--

@ 2002-11-11 15:48 ` Tapani Tarvainen
From: Tapani Tarvainen @ 2002-11-11 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@is.elta.co.il> writes:

> On 10 Nov 2002, Tapani Tarvainen wrote:
>
> > I have a strange problem with Gnu emacs 21.2 in HP-UX 11.11.
> >
> > Specifically, whenever a buffer has shrunk so much that emacs
> > automatically disables auto-save, it freezes. Nothing short of
> > killing will have any effect.

> This should have been sent to gnu.emacs.bug, not here.  Please consider
> taking this thread there.

Looks like I don't get g.e.bug here, or maybe it's misconfigured.
Got to complain to the news admin...

> My suspicion is that this has something to do with the fact 21.2 changed
> the way buffer memory is allocated in small ways.  That caused bugs on
> some systems, those bugs are fixed for the next release.

Indeed, I downloaded 21.2.92 from alpha.gnu.org, built it the same way
and the bug has apparently been fixed!

--
Tapani Tarvainen