all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Version 21 too slow remotely
@ 2002-07-01 20:14 David E Sigeti
From: David E Sigeti @ 2002-07-01 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Emacs Folks,

I run Emacs remotely (displaying on my local X server).  I have found
version 21 to be unusably slow.  I have not had this problem with version
20.  I don't know if you test performance when running remotely so I
thought you would like to know about this problem.

Yours,
David

---
Dr. David E. Sigeti
Phone:  505-667-9239
E-mail: sigeti@lanl.gov
Surface mail: MS-F645, Los Alamos National Laboratory,
               Los Alamos, NM  87545   USA

* Re: Version 21 too slow remotely
@ 2002-07-02  5:21 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-07-02  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, David E Sigeti wrote:

> I run Emacs remotely (displaying on my local X server).  I have found
> version 21 to be unusably slow.  I have not had this problem with version
> 20.

Thank you for your report.

Please provide more details: what operations are slow, how much time do
they take in Emacs 21 and how much in Emacs 20.  That's because most
people find Emacs 21 not slower than Emacs 20, so this could be something
specific to your system configuration or to your Emacs setup.

* Re: Version 21 too slow remotely
@ 2002-11-13 18:23   ` Giovanni Aliberti
From: Giovanni Aliberti @ 2002-11-13 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

eliz@is.elta.co.il (Eli Zaretskii) writes:

> On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, David E Sigeti wrote:
>
> > I run Emacs remotely (displaying on my local X server).  I have found
> > version 21 to be unusably slow.  I have not had this problem with version
> > 20.
>
> Thank you for your report.
>
> Please provide more details: what operations are slow, how much time do
> they take in Emacs 21 and how much in Emacs 20.  That's because most
> people find Emacs 21 not slower than Emacs 20, so this could be something
> specific to your system configuration or to your Emacs setup.

Yes, emacs 21 'appears' much slower then emacs 20.
The reason is that 21 displays too many icons at startup.

The solution would be to have it start, (still using X11)
but with no icons.

Anyone knows how to do that ??

-vanni