all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Save the *Warning* buffer..
@ 2002-05-15 20:33 D. Goel
From: D. Goel @ 2002-05-15 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

recently i saw something i had never seen before ..  on this eventful
day, my (length load-history) had reached 295...  And up popped a
buffer displaying a warning: "Almost out of memory... quit ASAP..."[2]

i have seen some sort of warning once before too...

the problem was that in both cases, i pressed SPC or something[1], and
the buffer disappeared before i had read it..  Trying to C-x b to this
buffer didn't help because the buffer no longer existed..

i suggest that when emacs wants to remove this buffer (like, when i
pressed SPC)---

instead of removing this buffer, it be renamed to "*Warnings-old*
buffer...  so that one can access it again...

[1] reminds you of a windows user who's too used to pressing 'ok',
doesn't it? :)

[2] on a related note, is there some frobbing i can do to stop this
from happening---like increasing the memory available to emacs
perhaps?  If you are replying to this question, please FUT g.e.help ..

D				   <http://www.glue.umd.edu/~deego/>
--

"What's yours is mine, and what's mine is mine."
   -- The essence of Mucrosh**'s anti-GPL war, as characterized by RMS.

* Re: Save the *Warning* buffer..
@ 2002-05-16  5:37 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-05-16  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

On 15 May 2002, D. Goel wrote:

> the problem was that in both cases, i pressed SPC or something[1], and
> the buffer disappeared before i had read it..  Trying to C-x b to this
> buffer didn't help because the buffer no longer existed..

Are you sure it disappeared?  "C-x b" might have failed because the
buffer's name started with a leading blank.  Could that be the case?

* Re: Save the *Warning* buffer..
@ 2002-05-16 13:11   ` D. Goel
From: D. Goel @ 2002-05-16 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

Eli

> Are you sure it disappeared?  "C-x b" might have failed because the
> buffer's name started with a leading blank.  Could that be the case?

yeah, that blank-thing has confused me before too :)

quite possible... i will check carefully next time it happens, using
C-x C-b and if still a problem, submit a better report..

Have a good day,

D				   <http://www.glue.umd.edu/~deego/>