all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs 21.2 and termcap problem
       [not found] <d1h40a.p5.ln@acm.acm>
@ 2002-05-13  5:41 ` Janusz S. Bień
From: Janusz S. Bień @ 2002-05-13  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have just compiled Emacs 21.2 on my home Woody Debian computer. I
have done everything "as usual" (I started to compile Emacs with some
pretest version); there was no substantial changes of my system in the
meantime. However, 21.2 does not start reporting

      Cannot open termcap database file

Does this mean that Emacs really tries to open termcap file while my
system uses terminfo?

Anyway, what do you recommend me to do?

Regards

Janusz

--
                     ,
dr hab. Janusz S. Bien, prof. UW

* Re: Emacs 21.2 and termcap problem
@ 2002-05-13 10:52   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-05-13 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

On 13 May 2002 jsbien@mimuw.edu.pl wrote:

> I have just compiled Emacs 21.2 on my home Woody Debian computer. I
> have done everything "as usual" (I started to compile Emacs with some
> pretest version); there was no substantial changes of my system in the
> meantime. However, 21.2 does not start reporting
>
>       Cannot open termcap database file
>
> Does this mean that Emacs really tries to open termcap file while my
> system uses terminfo?

Yes, it means Emacs tries to open termcap.  You can see the message in
term.c, together with the #ifdef that conditions it.

> Anyway, what do you recommend me to do?

I'd suggest to make sure you have the latest version of ncurses installed
and visible to the Emacs build at configure time.  Old versions of
ncurses sometimes dupe the configure script into thinking your system
doesn't support terminfo.

* Solved: Emacs 21.2 and termcap problem
@ 2002-05-15  5:41     ` Janusz S. Bień
From: Janusz S. Bień @ 2002-05-15  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

On Mon, 13 May 2002  Eli Zaretskii <eliz@is.elta.co.il> wrote:

> On 13 May 2002 jsbien@mimuw.edu.pl wrote:
>
> > I have just compiled Emacs 21.2 on my home Woody Debian computer. I
> > have done everything "as usual" (I started to compile Emacs with some
> > pretest version); there was no substantial changes of my system in the
> > meantime. However, 21.2 does not start reporting
> >
> >       Cannot open termcap database file

[...]

> I'd suggest to make sure you have the latest version of ncurses installed
> and visible to the Emacs build at configure time.  Old versions of
> ncurses sometimes dupe the configure script into thinking your system
> doesn't support terminfo.

The advice worked, thanks.

Janusz

--