all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* problem with hexlify-buffer
@ 2002-04-17 20:11 ian martins
From: ian martins @ 2002-04-17 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using emacs-21.2.1 on win2k, compiled with nmake. (I tried some earlier
versions also, and got the same result)

when I look at binary file with only an integer (32 bit) value of 60 or
greater in it using emacs hexl-mode, it says:

00000000: 81a0 0000 00                             .....

it should say:

00000000: a00  0000                                .....

I've viewed the file with a different hex viewer and also xemacs and they
both worked. for all values greater than 60 emacs sticks a hex "81" in front
of the correct bytes.

in case it saves someone time, here is some c code that will create two
files, one containing an integer value "59" (which emacs reads correctly)
the other contains an integer 60 (which doesn't work for me)

#include <stdio.h>

void main()
{
  FILE *fout1, *fout2;
  int n1 = 159;
  int n2 = 160;
  int *p1 = &n1;
  int *p2 = &n2;

  fout1 = fopen("f159.good","wb");
  fwrite(p1, sizeof(int), 1, fout1);

  fout2 = fopen("f160.bad","wb");
  fwrite(p2, sizeof(int), 1, fout2);

  fclose(fout1);
  fclose(fout2);
}

please ask if I've left out needed info.

Ian Martins
ianxm@hotmail.com

* Re: problem with hexlify-buffer
@ 2002-04-17 21:41 ` fabrice bauzac
From: fabrice bauzac @ 2002-04-17 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 12:11:19PM -0800, ian martins wrote:

> I'm using emacs-21.2.1 on win2k, compiled with nmake. (I tried some
> earlier versions also, and got the same result)

I find it curious because it doesn't show up on Emacs-21.2.1 on
GNU/Linux...

--
fabrice bauzac
Software should be free.  http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/why-free.html

* Re: problem with hexlify-buffer
@ 2002-04-18  6:20 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-04-18  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, ian martins wrote:

> I'm using emacs-21.2.1 on win2k, compiled with nmake. (I tried some earlier
> versions also, and got the same result)
>
> when I look at binary file with only an integer (32 bit) value of 60 or
> greater in it using emacs hexl-mode, it says:
>
> 00000000: 81a0 0000 00                             .....
>
> it should say:
>
> 00000000: a00  0000                                .....

Are you sure you don't have an old hexl.el lurking somewhere along your
load-path?  (Does "emacs -q -batch -f list-load-path-shadows" say something
about duplicate files?)  This problem used to happen in Emacs 20.x due to
a bug, but that bug was fixed in Emacs 21, IIRC.

* Re: problem with hexlify-buffer
@ 2002-04-18 13:26 ian martins
From: ian martins @ 2002-04-18 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

>Are you sure you don't have an old hexl.el lurking somewhere along your
>load-path?  (Does "emacs -q -batch -f list-load-path-shadows" say
> >something about duplicate files?)  This problem used to happen in >Emacs
>20.x due to a bug, but that bug was fixed in Emacs 21, IIRC.

that command didn't say anything, but you are right. it was my fault.. I
hadn't changed the load path in my .emacs file, so it was using the old
stuff.

thank you so much, now I can return to the world that makes sense and emacs
is infallible...