all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Why tool-bar-mode t by default?
@ 2002-02-19 16:58 Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2002-02-19 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Why that?

2002-02-19  Per Abrahamsen  <abraham@dina.kvl.dk>

        * toolbar/tool-bar.el (tool-bar-mode): Made the standard value t.
        * menu-bar.el (menu-bar-mode): Ditto.

It makes a non-useful toolbar appear in Windows. It was nil for a good
reason.

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: Why tool-bar-mode t by default?
@ 2002-02-19 17:17 ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2002-02-19 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Juanma Barranquero <lektu@terra.es> writes:

> Why that?

Because we couldn't think of a reason not to, and it makes customize
work better.

> 2002-02-19  Per Abrahamsen  <abraham@dina.kvl.dk>
>
>         * toolbar/tool-bar.el (tool-bar-mode): Made the standard value t.
>         * menu-bar.el (menu-bar-mode): Ditto.
>
> It makes a non-useful toolbar appear in Windows. It was nil for a good
> reason.

Sound like the standard value should test for Windows.  What is the
clean way to do that?

* Re: Why tool-bar-mode t by default?
@ 2002-02-19 18:25   ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2002-02-19 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002 18:17:56 +0100, Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> wrote:

> Because we couldn't think of a reason not to, and it makes customize
> work better.

Well, it was nil on 21.1 (at least on Windows).

Setting it to t by default and then resetting it to nil in .emacs
causes (or caused) problems with the initial frame size.

(on bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org).

> Sound like the standard value should test for Windows.  What is the
> clean way to do that?

Don't know, I suppose doing something like

:init-value (not (eq system-type 'windows-nt))

or the like.

OTOH, at least now it works fine with (tool-bar-mode -1) on .emacs

@ 2002-02-19 19:13   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-02-19 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: lektu, emacs-devel

> From: Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk>
> Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 18:17:56 +0100
>
> Sound like the standard value should test for Windows.  What is the
> clean way to do that?

To test for MS-Windows, see if the value of system-type is windows-nt.

But I'd rather suggest to test for some feature, so that this test
won't need to be rewritten when Windows supports the tool bar.  For
example, it seems like (boundp 'tool-bar-lines) should do.  Can
someone with a working Windows port please make sure that this
evaluates to nil?

* Re: Why tool-bar-mode t by default?
@ 2002-02-19 19:32     ` Tak Ota
From: Tak Ota @ 2002-02-19 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: abraham, lektu, emacs-devel

Tue, 19 Feb 2002 21:13:32 +0200: "Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@is.elta.co.il> wrote:

> won't need to be rewritten when Windows supports the tool bar.  For
> example, it seems like (boundp 'tool-bar-lines) should do.  Can
> someone with a working Windows port please make sure that this
> evaluates to nil?

Yes, (boundp 'tool-bar-lines) evaluates to nil under 21.2.50.1
(i386-msvc-nt5.0.2195).

-Tak

* Re: Why tool-bar-mode t by default?
@ 2002-02-19 19:35     ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2002-02-19 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: lektu, emacs-devel

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@is.elta.co.il> writes:

> For example, it seems like (boundp 'tool-bar-lines) should do.

It evaluates to nil on Unix/X11 as well.

* Re: Why tool-bar-mode t by default?
@ 2002-02-20  7:24       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-02-20  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: lektu, emacs-devel

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Per Abrahamsen wrote:

> "Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@is.elta.co.il> writes:
>
> > For example, it seems like (boundp 'tool-bar-lines) should do.
>
> It evaluates to nil on Unix/X11 as well.

Right, I should have said (intern-soft "tool-bar-lines") instead.

But I see that this won't help either, because tool-bar-lines is interned
in frame.c on all systems.  Hmm...

Well, since the tool bar requires image support, how about looking at
some image-related feature?  For example, does the following work?

     (fboundp 'image-size)

* Re: Why tool-bar-mode t by default?
@ 2002-02-20 22:13   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-02-20 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: lektu, emacs-devel

    Sound like the standard value should test for Windows.  What is the
    clean way to do that?

That is not necessarily the best solution.  Maybe the C code should
simply refuse to display the tool bar on Windows, regardless of the
value of tool-bar-mode.  That seems cleaner in several ways.