all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: M-TAB already used by KDE
@ 2002-12-17 18:52 Marcel Schmittfull
From: Marcel Schmittfull @ 2002-12-17 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Benjamin Lewis <bclewis@cs.sfu.ca> wrote:

>On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Marcel Schmittfull wrote:
>
>> Yes ok, this works. But for me it's very awkward to type <ESC><TAB>
>> since I've to leave the ground position of my left hand on the
>> keyboard (on an usual German keyboard; probably that's quite different
>> from English ones). Since I'm going to use completion _very_ often, I
>> would be very happy about an easier keybinding...
>
>Perhaps you could use a different key for Meta in emacs.  I use the
>"Windows" key for windowmanager functions, and the "Alt" key as Meta in
>emacs.  If KDE doesn't allow you to change key bindings, perhaps some
>jiggery-pokery in .emacs and/or with xmodmap would allow the change in
>emacs. (Assuming you have a such a key available).

Yes, I have the "windows" key on my keyboard. What would I have to
write in my .emacs in order to use the "windows" key in the same
meaning as the "Alt" key ? That is I want the "alt" key and the
"windows" key to have both the same meaning in emacs, namely "Meta".

TIA
Marcel

* Windows steals my 'Alt-' (was Re: M-TAB already used by KDE)
@ 2002-12-18 22:09 ` Jonathon Isaac Swiderski
From: Jonathon Isaac Swiderski @ 2002-12-18 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Marcel Schmittfull wrote:

> >Perhaps you could use a different key for Meta in emacs.  I use the
> >"Windows" key for windowmanager functions, and the "Alt" key as Meta in
> >emacs.  If KDE doesn't allow you to change key bindings, perhaps some
> >jiggery-pokery in .emacs and/or with xmodmap would allow the change in
> >emacs. (Assuming you have a such a key available).
>
> Yes, I have the "windows" key on my keyboard. What would I have to
> write in my .emacs in order to use the "windows" key in the same
> meaning as the "Alt" key ? That is I want the "alt" key and the
> "windows" key to have both the same meaning in emacs, namely "Meta".

I have a similar issue --- I'm using Emacs in Windows XP via Exceed (that
is, Emacs is running on my login server; i'm using an XP terminal with
Exceed generating an X session), and Windows keeps grabbing the 'Alt' key
for the menubar, so i can't use it for a Meta.

How do I either:
  a)  Tell Emacs to interpret 'CapsLock' or something else as 'M-'?
      That is, I'd like to use something else as the modifier--- part of
      my problem here is that I don't know what codes Alt, [Win],
      CapsLock, etcetera, generate; but I also am not clear on how I'd use
      them once I had them.
  b)  Tell Windows not to use Alt key for menu activation? (less
      preferred; I can't take my windows settings with me between
      sessions--- long story)

thanks in advance
--
Jonathon Isaac Swiderski \\ dangercat-20@dangercat.net
cs.oberlin.edu/~jswiders  \\  www.dangercat.net/resume

* Remember: People who send HTML mail are going to be the first against  *
*           the wall when the revolution comes.                          *

* Re: Windows steals my 'Alt-' (was Re: M-TAB already used by KDE)
@ 2002-12-18 22:38   ` Fredrik Staxeng
From: Fredrik Staxeng @ 2002-12-18 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jonathon Isaac Swiderski <jonswid@umich.edu> writes:

>I have a similar issue --- I'm using Emacs in Windows XP via Exceed (that
>is, Emacs is running on my login server; i'm using an XP terminal with
>Exceed generating an X session), and Windows keeps grabbing the 'Alt' key
>for the menubar, so i can't use it for a Meta.

Emacs uses an X window displayed by Exceed, right?

>How do I either:
>  a)  Tell Emacs to interpret 'CapsLock' or something else as 'M-'?
>      That is, I'd like to use something else as the modifier--- part of
>      my problem here is that I don't know what codes Alt, [Win],
>      CapsLock, etcetera, generate; but I also am not clear on how I'd use
>      them once I had them.

If Exceed lets Windows interpret Alt, chances are good that it lets Windows
interpret Caps Lock as well. But you could try with xkeycaps or xev to see
if it sends key events for Caps Lock to an X program. Then you could
assign the keysym Meta to it.

>  b)  Tell Windows not to use Alt key for menu activation? (less
>      preferred; I can't take my windows settings with me between
>      sessions--- long story)

This has to be a setting in Exceed, not in Windows itself.

--
Fredrik Stax\"ang | rot13: sfgk@hcqngr.hh.fr

* Re: Windows steals my 'Alt-' (was Re: M-TAB already used by KDE)
@ 2002-12-19  1:24   ` Michael P. Broida
From: Michael P. Broida @ 2002-12-19  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jonathon Isaac Swiderski wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Marcel Schmittfull wrote:
>
> > >Perhaps you could use a different key for Meta in emacs.  I use the
> > >"Windows" key for windowmanager functions, and the "Alt" key as Meta in
> > >emacs.  If KDE doesn't allow you to change key bindings, perhaps some
> > >jiggery-pokery in .emacs and/or with xmodmap would allow the change in
> > >emacs. (Assuming you have a such a key available).
> >
> > Yes, I have the "windows" key on my keyboard. What would I have to
> > write in my .emacs in order to use the "windows" key in the same
> > meaning as the "Alt" key ? That is I want the "alt" key and the
> > "windows" key to have both the same meaning in emacs, namely "Meta".
>
> I have a similar issue --- I'm using Emacs in Windows XP via Exceed (that
> is, Emacs is running on my login server; i'm using an XP terminal with
> Exceed generating an X session), and Windows keeps grabbing the 'Alt' key
> for the menubar, so i can't use it for a Meta.
>
> How do I either:
>   a)  Tell Emacs to interpret 'CapsLock' or something else as 'M-'?
>       That is, I'd like to use something else as the modifier--- part of
>       my problem here is that I don't know what codes Alt, [Win],
>       CapsLock, etcetera, generate; but I also am not clear on how I'd use
>       them once I had them.
>   b)  Tell Windows not to use Alt key for menu activation? (less
>       preferred; I can't take my windows settings with me between
>       sessions--- long story)

	Must be an Exceed thingy.
	I'm using Windows and running Emacs directly; no X of any kind.
	The Alt goes to menus in OTHER windows, but the Emacs window
	doesn't grab the Alt; it works as Emacs intended.  This is only
	true if the Emacs window (/frame) is SELECTED.
	Exceed is probably the culprit, not letting your Alt get to
	the Emacs app.

		Mike

* Re: Windows steals my 'Alt-' (was Re: M-TAB already used by KDE)
@ 2002-12-19  1:50   ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2002-12-19  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jonathon Isaac Swiderski <jonswid@umich.edu> writes:

> I have a similar issue --- I'm using Emacs in Windows XP via Exceed (that
> is, Emacs is running on my login server; i'm using an XP terminal with
> Exceed generating an X session), and Windows keeps grabbing the 'Alt' key
> for the menubar, so i can't use it for a Meta.
>
> How do I either:
>   a)  Tell Emacs to interpret 'CapsLock' or something else as 'M-'?
>       That is, I'd like to use something else as the modifier--- part of
>       my problem here is that I don't know what codes Alt, [Win],
>       CapsLock, etcetera, generate; but I also am not clear on how I'd use
>       them once I had them.

You can ask Exceed to send other keycodes.
Configuration -> Keyboard Input
There you can graphically edit your keyboard mapping.  But see below.

>   b)  Tell Windows not to use Alt key for menu activation? (less
>       preferred; I can't take my windows settings with me between
>       sessions--- long story)

Configuration -> Keyboard Input
Under 'Window Modifier Behaviour', you can set
Alt Key:    To X / To Windows / Left to Windows Right to X ...
Window Key: To X etc.

Note that this will only affect the programs running under Exceed. I
think this is the preferred solution.

/Johan

* Re: Windows steals my 'Alt-' (was Re: M-TAB already used by KDE)
@ 2002-12-19  5:27     ` Jonathon Isaac Swiderski
From: Jonathon Isaac Swiderski @ 2002-12-19  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19 Dec 2002, Johan Bockgård wrote:

> > I have a similar issue --- I'm using Emacs in Windows XP via Exceed (that
> > is, Emacs is running on my login server; i'm using an XP terminal with
> > Exceed generating an X session), and Windows keeps grabbing the 'Alt' key
> > for the menubar, so i can't use it for a Meta.

> You can ask Exceed to send other keycodes.
> Configuration -> Keyboard Input

Thanks.  Now I just have to figure out how to get into Exceed's
configuration panels. . . (in the lab I use, the password for Exceed's
settings area doesn't seem to be the same as my login password, and i've no
idea where to find what it is. . .  I'll have to find my friendly local
helpdesk next time i'm in there;  I have a feeling this will actually turn
out to be impossible.)

--
Jonathon Isaac Swiderski \\ dangercat-20@dangercat.net
cs.oberlin.edu/~jswiders  \\  www.dangercat.net/resume

Mathematics is the art which teaches
one how not to make calculations.     -- Oscar Chisini