all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Horizontal Scroll bars
@ 2009-09-09 15:54 Fabrizio Sidoli
From: Fabrizio Sidoli @ 2009-09-09 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I do hope someone can help me. I was wondering if it was possible to add a
horizontal scroll bar to my emacs window? There does not appear to be an
obvious option that I can see. I know Xemacs has this functionality. Is
there a way to do this in emacs also?

Regards,

Fabrizio

* Re: Horizontal Scroll bars
       [not found] <mailman.6323.1252513755.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-09-09 16:38 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2009-09-09 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Fabrizio Sidoli <fs@star.ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> I do hope someone can help me. I was wondering if it was possible to
> add a horizontal scroll bar to my emacs window? There does not appear
> to be an obvious option that I can see. I know Xemacs has this
> functionality. Is there a way to do this in emacs also?

No.  You can make do with C-x < and C-x > (or C-prior C-next) in the
meanwhile.

--
David Kastrup

* Horizontal scroll bars
@ 2017-01-03 16:01 Tom Browder
From: Tom Browder @ 2017-01-03 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I want horizontal scroll bars on my Debian 8 emacs (loaded as a deb
package). I tried this in my init.el file:

;;============
(load "scroll-bar")
(add-to-list 'initial-frame-alist
    '(horizontal-scroll-bars . t)
    )
;;============

and get nothing.

I've tried:

M-x horizontal-scroll-bars-available-p

and get no [no-match]

Do I have to build emacs from source to get it?

Thanks.

Best regards,

-Tom

* Re: Horizontal scroll bars
@ 2017-01-03 16:09 ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2017-01-03 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com> writes:

> I want horizontal scroll bars on my Debian 8 emacs (loaded as a deb
> package). I tried this in my init.el file:
>
> ;;============
> (load "scroll-bar")
> (add-to-list 'initial-frame-alist
>     '(horizontal-scroll-bars . t)
>     )
> ;;============
>
> and get nothing.

Try

M-x horizontal-scroll-bar-mode

> I've tried:
>
> M-x horizontal-scroll-bars-available-p
>
> and get no [no-match]

That function is not interactive. You need to evaluate

(horizontal-scroll-bars-available-p)

to see its result.

> Do I have to build emacs from source to get it?

Possibly. horizontal-scroll-bars-available-p returns nil on my build
configured with

--without-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-x-toolkit=lucid

* Re: Horizontal scroll bars
@ 2017-01-03 16:26 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-01-03 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2017 10:01:06 -0600
>
> I want horizontal scroll bars on my Debian 8 emacs (loaded as a deb
> package). I tried this in my init.el file:
>
> ;;============
> (load "scroll-bar")
> (add-to-list 'initial-frame-alist
>     '(horizontal-scroll-bars . t)
>     )
> ;;============
>
> and get nothing.

Does "M-x customize-option RET horizontal-scroll-bar-mode RET" work?
If not, what is your Emacs version?

* Re: Horizontal scroll bars
@ 2017-01-03 18:53   ` Tom Browder
From: Tom Browder @ 2017-01-03 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 10:26 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> From: Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com>
>> Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2017 10:01:06 -0600
>>
>> I want horizontal scroll bars on my Debian 8 emacs (loaded as a deb
>> package). I tried this in my init.el file:
>> and get nothing.
>
> Does "M-x customize-option RET horizontal-scroll-bar-mode RET" work?
> If not, what is your Emacs version?

No, it does not.

See next reply.

Thanks.

-Tom

* Re: Horizontal scroll bars
@ 2017-01-03 19:18   ` Tom Browder
From: Tom Browder @ 2017-01-03 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Óscar Fuentes; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 10:09 AM, Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> wrote:
> Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I want horizontal scroll bars on my Debian 8 emacs (loaded as a deb
>> package). I tried this in my init.el file:
>> Do I have to build emacs from source to get it?
>
> Possibly. horizontal-scroll-bars-available-p returns nil on my build
> configured with
>
> --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-x-toolkit=lucid

Okay, I've built emacs 25.1 but still no horizontal scroll bars.

Here is my configuration:

    --with-x-toolkit=lucid \
    --without-dbus         \
    --without-gconf        \
    --without-gsettings    \
    --without-sound

With

Mx (horizontal-scroll-bars-available-p)

I still get no match!

Any ideas?

Thanks.

-Tom

* Re: Horizontal scroll bars
@ 2017-01-03 19:21     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-01-03 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2017 12:53:09 -0600
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> See next reply.

I don't see any.

* Re: Horizontal scroll bars
@ 2017-01-03 19:45     ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2017-01-03 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com> writes:

> Okay, I've built emacs 25.1 but still no horizontal scroll bars.

Do you mean that M-x horizontal-scroll-bar-mode didn't work?

> Here is my configuration:
>
>     --with-x-toolkit=lucid \
>     --without-dbus         \
>     --without-gconf        \
>     --without-gsettings    \
>     --without-sound
>
> With
>
> Mx (horizontal-scroll-bars-available-p)
>
> I still get no match!

As mentioned on my previous reply,
`horizontal-scroll-bars-available-p' is not an interactive function. It
doesn't work from the M-x interface. You need to evaluate it. For
instance, switch to the *scratch* buffer, paste

(horizontal-scroll-bars-available-p)

put the cursor after the last paren and press C-x C-e

> Any ideas?

Maybe you need to build with GTK (which IIRC is the default when you
have the GTK development libraries installed.) On an empty build
directory, try invoking `path/to/emacs/source/configure' without
parameters and see if the summary mentions GTK. If yes, just complete
the build by running `make'.

* Re: Horizontal scroll bars
@ 2017-01-03 19:49     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-01-03 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2017 13:18:31 -0600
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> With
>
> Mx (horizontal-scroll-bars-available-p)
>
> I still get no match!

Not "Mx", "M-:".

Also, what does this display:

  M-: (boundp 'x-toolkit-scroll-bars) RET

* Re: Horizontal scroll bars
@ 2017-01-03 21:11 martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2017-01-03 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tom.browder, help-gnu-emacs

 > --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-x-toolkit=lucid

 From NEWS:

*** Emacs can now draw horizontal scroll bars on some platforms that
provide toolkit scroll bars, namely Gtk+, Lucid, Motif and Windows.

So you have to build with toolkit scroll bars.

martin