all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* windows make
@ 2004-01-26 13:35 Kevin Dziulko
From: Kevin Dziulko @ 2004-01-26 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am trying to install JDE, but I need a pre-compiled windows NT GNU Make.
Does anyone know where I can find one?

Thanks!

* Re: windows make
       [not found] <mailman.1360.1075124286.928.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-01-26 21:10 ` Jason Rumney
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1395.1075154693.928.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jason Rumney @ 2004-01-26 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Dziulko <dziulko@klaatu.canisius.edu> writes:

> I am trying to install JDE, but I need a pre-compiled windows NT GNU Make.
> Does anyone know where I can find one?

Try searching for one at www.mingw.org or gnuwin32.sourceforge.net.

* Re: windows make
@ 2004-01-26 21:51   ` Jeffery B. Rancier
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1395.1075154693.928.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jeffery B. Rancier @ 2004-01-26 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> I am trying to install JDE, but I need a pre-compiled windows NT GNU Make.
>> Does anyone know where I can find one?

http://www.cygwin.com

Jeff

* Re: windows make
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1395.1075154693.928.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-01-27  0:47     ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2004-01-27  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

jeff.rancier@softechnics.com (Jeffery B. Rancier) writes:

> >> I am trying to install JDE, but I need a pre-compiled windows NT GNU Make.
> >> Does anyone know where I can find one?
>
> http://www.cygwin.com

Cygwin is a poor choice of GNU make for compiling non-Cygwin programs
with non-Cygwin compilers. The reason make in particular needs to be
a native Windows program and not live in the Cygwin fantasy world
where everything looks like Unix, is that make's sole purpose is to
run external programs with filenames as arguments.  Passing
"/cygdrive/c/site-lisp/jde.el" to Emacs on a Windows platform is not
going to get the result that the original poster wants.