all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
[parent not found: <mailman.498.1072144317.868.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]
[parent not found: <mailman.471.1072109811.868.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]
[parent not found: <mailman.431.1072038664.868.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]
[parent not found: <mailman.415.1071963863.868.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]
[parent not found: <mailman.408.1071929942.868.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]
* "variable [in .emacs] is void"
@ 2003-12-20 13:16 gebser
From: gebser @ 2003-12-20 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

When starting emacs, an error is reported in *Messages*:

Error in init file: Symbol's value as variable is void: mail-mode-map

The first place in .emacs where that variable occurs is:

(add-hook 'mail-setup-hook
          '(lambda ()
             (substitute-key-definition
               'next-line 'mail-abbrev-next-line
               mail-mode-map global-map)
             (substitute-key-definition
               'end-of-buffer 'mail-abbrev-end-of-buffer
               mail-mode-map global-map)))

My guess is that some other code is required prior to this.  After emacs
is loaded and I do "M-x mail", I can evaluate it fine (in .emacs).

Any ideas?

tnx,
ken