all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: gebser@speakeasy.net
Subject: Re: tramp hangs
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 17:47:43 -0500 (EST)	[thread overview]

At 20:04 (UTC-0000) on Thu, 4 Dec 2003 Kai Grossjohann said:

= gebser@speakeasy.net writes:
=
= > Reading along another email on this list, I figured I'd give tramp a try
= > to a local box.  I did "C-x 4 C-f ..." and the minibuffer announced
= > activity like unsetting variables.  Then it showed "tramp: setting shell
= > prompt" and hung there.  And it's been hanging for about ten minutes.
= > I have three emacs frames open and all three are hung.  (I can't run any
= > commands, can't even move the point, not with the keyboard and not even
= > with the mouse.  Can't open any menus either.
= >
= > I'm using emacs 20.7.41.
=
= Does C-g wake Emacs up?

Yes.

=
= Which version of Tramp have you got?  It's quite possible that recent
= versions don't work with Emacs 20 anymore.  I haven't tried.

2.0.28

=
= If C-g wakes it up, then please (setq tramp-debug-buffer t), start
= Emacs again, make it hang again, hit C-g, then post the *tramp/foo*
= buffer as well as the *debug tramp/foo* buffer.  (If there are
= passwords in them, remove them first.)
=
= Thanks,
= Kai

The only *tramp/* buffer I have is *debug tramp/nil ken@192.168.0.200
and it says:

$ echo are you awake

Permission denied, please try again.
ken@192.168.0.200's password: [[Remote prompt `^///¦\?5{\*—(-KhîXä\+
?$' not found in 10 secs]]# Opening connection for ken@192.168.0.200
using nil...
# Waiting for prompts from remote shell
# Waiting 60s for prompt from remote shell
# Found remote shell prompt.
# Initializing remote shell
$ exec env PS1='$ ' /bin/sh
# Waiting 30s for remote `/bin/sh' to come up...
# Setting up remote shell environment
# Determining coding system
# Waiting 30s for `HISTFILE=$HOME/.tramp_history; HISTSIZE=1'
ken@192.168.0.200's password: # Waiting 30s for `set +o vi +o emacs'

# Waiting 30s for `unset MAIL MAILCHECK MAILPATH'
# Waiting 30s for `unset CDPATH'
# Setting shell prompt
$ PS1='
///¦?5{*—(-KhîXä+