all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs start buffer
@ 2003-10-08 13:53 Kevin Dziulko
       [not found] ` <mailman.1368.1065647250.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Dziulko @ 2003-10-08 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello

Does anyone know of a package that creates a "My Emacs" start buffer.  I
am thinking of something along the lines of personalized start pages many
web sites offer, like My Yahoo.

A read-only buffer that is automaticlly created and displayed upon emacs
start up, that could display the date & time, if today is a holiday, a
couple of your appointments, how many emails you have, a random quote, a
tip of the day, etc.

Kevin

* Re: emacs start buffer
       [not found] <mailman.1325.1065621279.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-10-08 16:02 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-10-08 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Dziulko wrote:

> A read-only buffer that is automaticlly created and displayed upon emacs
> start up, that could display the date & time, if today is a holiday, a
> couple of your appointments, how many emails you have, a random quote, a
> tip of the day, etc.

emacs -f display-time -f calendar -f rmail ...

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: emacs start buffer
@ 2003-10-08 21:04 ` Adam Hardy
       [not found] ` <mailman.1368.1065647250.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Adam Hardy @ 2003-10-08 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Don't know how to do that but I asked more or less the same question a
couple of weeks ago.

I scooped up a useful tip-of-the-day function here on the list, but it
starts in its own buffer when I would like it to start on the splash
screen. My splash screen obviously does stuff but I don't know where
it's located.

Adam

On 10/08/2003 03:53 PM Kevin Dziulko wrote:
> Hello
>
> Does anyone know of a package that creates a "My Emacs" start buffer.  I
> am thinking of something along the lines of personalized start pages many
> web sites offer, like My Yahoo.
>
> A read-only buffer that is automaticlly created and displayed upon emacs
> start up, that could display the date & time, if today is a holiday, a
> couple of your appointments, how many emails you have, a random quote, a
> tip of the day, etc.
>
> Kevin

GNU Emacs 21.3.1 on Linux 2.4.20 RH9

* Re: emacs start buffer
       [not found] ` <mailman.1368.1065647250.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-10-08 23:18   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-10-08 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Please don't top-post.]

Adam Hardy wrote:

> I scooped up a useful tip-of-the-day function here on the list, but it
> starts in its own buffer when I would like it to start on the splash
> screen. My splash screen obviously does stuff but I don't know where
> it's located.

M-x apropos RET splash RET

--

@ 2003-10-09  7:23 ` Colin Marquardt
From: Colin Marquardt @ 2003-10-09  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Dziulko <dziulko@klaatu.canisius.edu> writes:

> A read-only buffer that is automaticlly created and displayed upon emacs
> start up, that could display the date & time, if today is a holiday, a
> couple of your appointments, how many emails you have, a random quote, a
> tip of the day, etc.

Nice idea. One part of that buffer could be cal-desk-calendar, a kind
of an "agenda for today".

ELL lists
  http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=wkr9oviig9.fsf%40rochester.rr.com&output=gplain
but apparently there is at least a version 0.5 out there.  Seems to
be unmaintained though.

HTH,
  Colin

* Re: emacs start buffer
@ 2003-10-09  7:33   ` Colin Marquardt
From: Colin Marquardt @ 2003-10-09  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

/me <c.marquardt@alcatel.de> writes:

> Kevin Dziulko <dziulko@klaatu.canisius.edu> writes:
>
>> A read-only buffer that is automaticlly created and displayed upon emacs
>> start up, that could display the date & time, if today is a holiday, a
>> couple of your appointments, how many emails you have, a random quote, a
>> tip of the day, etc.
>
> Nice idea. One part of that buffer could be cal-desk-calendar, a kind
> of an "agenda for today".

I just see that Sacha Chua has a version 0.8 here:
  http://sacha.free.net.ph/notebook/emacs/cal-desk-calendar.el