all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* java mode won't play nice
@ 2003-05-28 12:27 Kevin Dziulko
From: Kevin Dziulko @ 2003-05-28 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello

I am trying to get java mode to indent and behave just like how I have
c-mode set up.  I have not been able to find anything helpful on the web.
I did read that "`java-mode' sets the style ... of the buffer to `java' *before*
 running the `c-mode-common-hook' or `java-mode-hook'".  Any suggestions?
Below is my c-mode stuff from my .emacs file.

(defconst my-c-style
  '((c-tab-always-indent        . t)
    (c-comment-only-line-offset . 0)
    (c-hanging-braces-alist     . ((substatement-open after)
                                   (brace-list-open)
                                   (brace-list-close)))
    (c-hanging-colons-alist     . ((member-init-intro before)
                                   (inher-intro)
                                   (case-label after)
                                   (label after)
                                   (access-label after)))
    (c-cleanup-list             . (scope-operator
                                   empty-defun-braces
                                   defun-close-semi))
    (c-offsets-alist            . ((arglist-close . c-lineup-arglist)
                                   (substatement-open . 0)
                                   (case-label        . 4)
                                   (block-open        . 0)
                                   (knr-argdecl-intro . -)))
    ;;(c-echo-syntactic-information-p . t)
    )
  "My C Programming Style")

;; Customizations for all of c-mode, c++-mode, and objc-mode
(defun my-c-mode-common-hook ()
  ;; add my personal style and set it for the current buffer
  (c-add-style "PERSONAL" my-c-style t)
  ;; offset customizations not in my-c-style
  (c-set-offset 'member-init-intro '++)
  ;; other customizations
  (setq ps-line-number 'member-init-intro)
  (setq tab-width 8
        ;; this will make sure spaces are used instead of tabs
        indent-tabs-mode nil)
  ;; we like auto-newline and hungry-delete
  (c-toggle-auto-hungry-state 1)
  ;; keybindings for all supported languages.  We can put these in
  ;; c-mode-base-map because c-mode-map, c++-mode-map, objc-mode-map,
  ;; java-mode-map, and idl-mode-map inherit from it.
  (define-key c-mode-base-map "\C-m" 'newline-and-indent)
  (define-key c-mode-base-map "\C-xc" 'kill-comment)
  )
(add-hook 'c-mode-common-hook 'my-c-mode-common-hook)

* Re: java mode won't play nice
       [not found] <ubrxndqmg.fsf@softechnics.com>
@ 2003-05-28 17:58 ` Kevin Dziulko
From: Kevin Dziulko @ 2003-05-28 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Looks interesting, but seems to be over-kill for me.  I just want
indentation to behave like in c-mode, don't care about other features.

       [not found] <mailman.6908.1054124887.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-05-29 20:36 ` Artur Hefczyc
From: Artur Hefczyc @ 2003-05-29 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I am trying to get java mode to indent and behave just like how I have
> c-mode set up.  I have not been able to find anything helpful on the web.
> I did read that "`java-mode' sets the style ... of the buffer to `java'
*before*
>  running the `c-mode-common-hook' or `java-mode-hook'".  Any suggestions?
> Below is my c-mode stuff from my .emacs file.
> (add-hook 'c-mode-common-hook 'my-c-mode-common-hook)
Hm, did you try to ad your hook to java-mode-hook?
(add-hook 'java-mode-hook 'my-c-mode-common-hook)

I didn't checked this, because I use JDEE for java programming under emacs
and I do similar thing with jdee hook, which also uses java style
indentation
which is not very useful. To correct this indentation I do only something
like this:
;;; Some more customization for JDEE
(defun my-jde-mode-hook ()
  (c-set-offset 'substatement-open 0)
  (c-set-offset 'statement-case-open 0)
  (c-set-offset 'case-label '+)
  (c-set-offset 'arglist-intro '+)
  (c-set-offset 'arglist-cont-nonempty '+)
  (setq c-comment-continuation-stars "* "
     c-basic-offset 4)
)
(add-hook 'jde-mode-hook 'my-jde-mode-hook)

And it works. By the way I really recommend to use JDEE for
java under emacs. I started to write emacs+jdee guide, check it
maybe you will find something interesting:
http://wttools.sourceforge.net/emacs-stuff/emacsandjdee.html

gl
Artur
--
Artur Hefczyc                                artur.hefczyc@plusnet.pl
Open Source Developer

@ 2003-05-30 12:14   ` Kevin Dziulko
From: Kevin Dziulko @ 2003-05-30 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes, I did do the (add-hook 'java-mode-hook 'my-c-mode-common-hook).  It
didn't seem to be helping me.  The main problem was the block braces, {,
were not getting indented properly.  Then I learned that there was some
syntacic symbol differences between c and java from the class
declarations.  I added (inline-open . 0) to my-c-mode-common-hook, and now
I'm pretty much happy with the indentation of the code.  Thanks to all
who've replied!