all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: question impossible
       [not found] <mailman.1033720057.12121.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-10-04  9:22 ` Jonas Steverud
From: Jonas Steverud @ 2002-10-04  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Raimund.Kohl@freenet.de writes:

> If I want to open a file
> via the bookmarks command (C-x r b) emacs answers
>
> "Invalid read syntax: ". in wrong context"

From the Emacs info file, Bookmarks node:
"[Bookmarks] persist automatically from one Emacs session to the next"

In the same node:
"your default bookmark file, `~/.emacs.bmk'"

I would suspect that the bookmarks file is damaged. Either open it in
Emacs and look and see if you can find the problem (probably '".' in
the wrong place, as the error message says) or delete it.

> What's that saying and how can I change that? I searched my .emacs file
> about it and found, that it didn't hold any text - instead a whole bunch
> of cryptic whatsoever.

Was it plain elisp or some very strange letters? In the latter case it
might be so that it got byte compiled on the way.

--
(          www.dtek.chalmers.se/~d4jonas/         !     Wei Wu Wei     )
(        Meaning of U2 Lyrics, Roleplaying        !  To Do Without Do  )

* question impossible
@ 2002-10-04 10:19 Raimund.Kohl
From: Raimund.Kohl @ 2002-10-04 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I know I shouldn't have done it ... curiosity killed the cat ... but
somehow I'd been into playing with the options menu looking for a way to
tell emacs which coding to use by default instead of asking me always.
Well, I didn't find it, but that's not the problem. I saved "something" -
I believe it was something dealing with "latin-1" (as you can see I am not
a techi!) I now have to face a strange behaviour: If I want to open a file
via the bookmarks command (C-x r b) emacs answers

"Invalid read syntax: ". in wrong context"

What's that saying and how can I change that? I searched my .emacs file
about it and found, that it didn't hold any text - instead a whole bunch
of cryptic whatsoever. So I exchanged it by a previous .emacs I had saved
- but the behaviour of emacs doesn't change. So I think I must look for
that problem elsewhere.

Can anybody help me?

Thank you, ray

* Re: question impossible
@ 2002-10-04 13:53   ` Raimund.Kohl
From: Raimund.Kohl @ 2002-10-04 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, Jonas Steverud wrote:

> I would suspect that the bookmarks file is damaged.

yep, your're right - that's what emacs comlains about when it is called up
for the first time. I looked it up and found it's still there, but with a
whole bunch of "@" signs - the same way, the .emacs file looked before I
renewed it. I deletet .emacs.bmk

But - oh my goodness! - there seem to be more mishaps! First, emacs is
much slower than before, and 2nd - I just realized that I can't print
anymore - the job gets send to the printerspooler but doesn't come any
further. The message in lpq says:

status: IF filter 'if' filter msg - 'unable to write to output, fd=9,
count=113: Broken pipe'

Does this all makes any sense to you? Is there a chance to come back to
normality? <sigh>

ray

* Re: question impossible
@ 2002-10-04 14:11   ` Raimund.Kohl
From: Raimund.Kohl @ 2002-10-04 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, Jonas Steverud wrote:

Jonas,

please, forget about the problem with printing that I mentioned in my
previous mail - that's solved.

ray