all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* the fringe in emacs version 21
@ 2002-08-06  1:53 Kelly Porpiglia
From: Kelly Porpiglia @ 2002-08-06  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

I rarely send emails like this, but I feel strongly about the new version of
emacs.  The look and feel is _much_ too heavyweight for me.  Aside from
personal preferences, I make one plea:

_Please_ allow users to remove the "fringe" in future versions of emacs!

Thanks,

kelly

* Re: the fringe in emacs version 21
@ 2002-08-06  4:45 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-08-06  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, Kelly Porpiglia wrote:

> _Please_ allow users to remove the "fringe" in future versions of emacs!

The development sources already allow that.

* Re: the fringe in emacs version 21
@ 2002-08-06  4:56   ` Kelly Porpiglia
From: Kelly Porpiglia @ 2002-08-06  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

> > _Please_ allow users to remove the "fringe" in future versions of emacs!
>
> The development sources already allow that.

Really?  How?  Is there something that I can add to my .emacs?

I've searched the FAQ, web, and newsgroups, and all I found was that it isn't
supported in version 21.2.  Sorry if I missed something...

@ 2002-08-06  5:01     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-08-06  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Kelly Porpiglia wrote:

> > > _Please_ allow users to remove the "fringe" in future versions of emacs!
> >
> > The development sources already allow that.
>
> Really?  How?  Is there something that I can add to my .emacs?

You do that by customizing the fringe-mode variable.

> I've searched the FAQ, web, and newsgroups, and all I found was that it isn't
> supported in version 21.2.  Sorry if I missed something...

I said "development sources", which means that no released version has
that feature yet.  Version 21.4 is expected to have it; or you could get
the CVS code, if you don't mind running alpha software.

* Re: the fringe in emacs version 21
@ 2002-08-06  7:29     ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2002-08-06  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

kelly@cs.umass.edu (Kelly Porpiglia) writes:

> > > _Please_ allow users to remove the "fringe" in future versions of emacs!
> >
> > The development sources already allow that.
>
> Really?  How?  Is there something that I can add to my .emacs?
>
> I've searched the FAQ, web, and newsgroups, and all I found was that
> it isn't supported in version 21.2.  Sorry if I missed something...

21.2 is not the development sources.

Email: David.Kastrup@t-online.de