all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* parenthesis matching in lisp mode
@ 2003-01-18 21:44 Zimmen Gnauh
From: Zimmen Gnauh @ 2003-01-18 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

   By parenthesis matching, I mean that the paired parenthesis are
highlighted when the cursor is on one of the parenthesis. How can I
make this work in lisp mode?

* Re: parenthesis matching in lisp mode
@ 2003-01-18 21:54 ` Phillip Garland
From: Phillip Garland @ 2003-01-18 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

When in a lisp mode buffer do

M-x show-paren-mode

or add this in your .emacs file to have this done automatically:

(add-hook 'lisp-mode-hook (lambda () (show-paren-mode)))

~Phillip

       [not found] <mailman.536.1042927135.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-01-18 22:17 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2003-01-18 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Phillip Garland <pgarland@u.washington.edu> writes:

> When in a lisp mode buffer do
>
> M-x show-paren-mode
>
> or add this in your .emacs file to have this done automatically:
>
> (add-hook 'lisp-mode-hook (lambda () (show-paren-mode)))

Nonsense.  You could enter the above just as
(add-hook 'lisp-mode-hook 'show-paren-mode)
but it would be equally wrong: it _toggles_ show-paren-mode every
time the lisp mode hook gets executed.

So please rather write
(add-hook 'lisp-mode-hook (lambda() (show-paren-mode 1)))

@ 2003-01-19 10:07 ` Oliver Scholz
From: Oliver Scholz @ 2003-01-19 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Phillip Garland <pgarland@u.washington.edu> writes:

> When in a lisp mode buffer do
>
> M-x show-paren-mode
>
> or add this in your .emacs file to have this done automatically:
>
> (add-hook 'lisp-mode-hook (lambda () (show-paren-mode)))
>
> ~Phillip

David mentioned already that this should be `(show-paren-mode 1)'.
Besides that `show-paren-mode' is a _global_ minor mode. So a simple

(show-paren-mode 1)

in your .emacs would do. You have it in all major mode then, but that
won't hurt IMO. If you really want it *only* in lisp-mode, you have to
make it buffer local first:

(add-hook 'lisp-mode-hook
	  (lambda ()
	    (make-local-variable 'show-paren-mode)