all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to set a pixmap as an emacs background rather than a color?
@ 2002-12-09 21:28 Tom Oswald
From: Tom Oswald @ 2002-12-09 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am using emacs 21.2.1 in a redhat 7.3 distribution.  Can a pixmap be
set as the background rather then a color?

Thanks,

Tom

* Re: How to set a pixmap as an emacs background rather than a color?
@ 2002-12-10  1:48 ` Miles Bader
       [not found] ` <mailman.84.1039524641.19936.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Miles Bader @ 2002-12-10  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tom Oswald <toswald@sharplabs.com> writes:
> I am using emacs 21.2.1 in a redhat 7.3 distribution.  Can a pixmap be
> set as the background rather then a color?

No

-Miles
--
I'm beginning to think that life is just one long Yoko Ono album; no rhyme
or reason, just a lot of incoherent shrieks and then it's over.  --Ian Wolff

* Re: How to set a pixmap as an emacs background rather than a color?
@ 2002-12-10 12:50 ` ken
       [not found] ` <mailman.84.1039524641.19936.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: ken @ 2002-12-10 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

You can do this with enlightenment, a window manager you should have
installed on your system.  AFAIK, you'd have to open emacs in a terminal
window, then set the properties on that window; this can be automated
into an icon of course.  Enlightenment also allows "transparent"
windows, i.e., the background will be whatever wallpaper would otherwise
be hidden by the window.  I did both of these before and they worked
fine.  But, depending on the background image and the color(s) of the
foreground (here, characters), the text can be difficult to read.

hth,
ken

Tom Oswald at 13:28 (UTC-0800) on Mon, 9 Dec 2002 said:

= I am using emacs 21.2.1 in a redhat 7.3 distribution.  Can a pixmap be
= set as the background rather then a color?
=
= Thanks,
=
= Tom
=
= _______________________________________________
= Help-gnu-emacs mailing list
= Help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
=

@ 2002-12-10 14:19   ` Tim Haynes
From: Tim Haynes @ 2002-12-10 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

ken <ken@cleveland.lug.net> writes:

> You can do this with enlightenment, a window manager you should have
> installed on your system. AFAIK, you'd have to open emacs in a terminal
> window, then set the properties on that window; this can be automated
> into an icon of course. Enlightenment also allows "transparent" windows,

No, windows allow transparent windows. It has nothing to do with E.

You're recommending the OP start using e.g. Eterm or gnome-terminal with
their transparent background abilities, that's all.

> i.e., the background will be whatever wallpaper would otherwise be hidden
> by the window. I did both of these before and they worked fine. But,
> depending on the background image and the color(s) of the foreground
> (here, characters), the text can be difficult to read.

More to the point, you totally lose the point of having emacs being an X
application: the mouse-interaction will be fubarred and there won't be any
scope for a toolbar, nor even for a graphical representation of the
menubar.

Some, of course, would say this was a good thing ;8)

~Tim
--
Clouds cross the black moonlight,           |piglet@stirfried.vegetable.org.uk
Rushing on down to the sound                |http://spodzone.org.uk/

* Re: How to set a pixmap as an emacs background rather than a color?
@ 2002-12-10 16:25     ` ken
From: ken @ 2002-12-10 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I've done this in enlightenment with no mouse problems.

On an RH 7.2 machine running gnome now....

Try this:

gnome-terminal &

In the new terminal click on "Settings | Preferences | Image", click
"Background pixmap" then browser for the desired pixmap.  On this same
panel you can also select the image to be shaded-- makes text easier to
read on top of some lighter images.  Click "Apply", then "OK" a couple
times.  As soon as you click on "Apply" the pixmap will show up in the
window.  In this window, run "emacs -t $(tty)" and emacs will start in
it.  I just did all of this and then used the mouse to copy-n-paste the
text in that emacs window into this email:

Welcome to GNU Emacs, one component of a Linux-based GNU system.

Get help           C-h  (Hold down CTRL and press h)
Undo changes       C-x u       Exit Emacs               C-x C-c
Get a tutorial     C-h t       Use Info to read docs    C-h i
Activate menubar     M-`
(`C-' means use the CTRL key.  `M-' means use the Meta (or Alt) key.
If you have no Meta key, you may instead type ESC followed by the
character.)

If an Emacs session crashed recently, type M-x recover-session RET
to recover the files you were editing.

GNU Emacs 20.7.1 (i386-redhat-linux-gnu, X toolkit)
 of Mon Jul 30 2001 on stripples.devel.redhat.com

GNU Emacs comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; type C-h C-w for full
details.
Emacs is Free Software--Free as in Freedom--so you can redistribute
copies
of Emacs and modify it; type C-h C-c to see the conditions.
Type C-h C-d for information on getting the latest version.

Seems to work fine.

hth,
ken

@ 2002-12-10 18:11     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-10 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim Haynes <usenet@stirfried.vegetable.org.uk> writes:

> More to the point, you totally lose the point of having emacs being an X
> application: the mouse-interaction will be fubarred and there won't be any
> scope for a toolbar, nor even for a graphical representation of the
> menubar.

xterm-mouse-mode might help with some of that.