all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* multiple/alternate .emacs
@ 2002-12-05 15:21 Bryan W. Lepore
From: Bryan W. Lepore @ 2002-12-05 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

is there a way to make emacs use alternate .emacs files?  e.g. .emacs1,
.emacs2, or is the .emacs required to be named only ".emacs"?

-bryan

* RE: multiple/alternate .emacs
@ 2002-12-05 15:25 Bingham, Jay
From: Bingham, Jay @ 2002-12-05 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bryan,

Have you looked at the command line options information in the help.
That would be where I would look.

JCBingham

       [not found] <mailman.1039101725.22928.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-12-05 15:53 ` Tim Haynes
From: Tim Haynes @ 2002-12-05 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Bryan W. Lepore" <lepore@brandeis.edu> writes:

> is there a way to make emacs use alternate .emacs files? e.g. .emacs1,
> .emacs2, or is the .emacs required to be named only ".emacs"?

To what end would you want to do this?

                                   ~~~~

If it's one scenario I suspect, then you could consider a simple .emacs
that chooses which other files to load; something like, for example:

    (if (string-match "XEmacs" (emacs-version)) ;choose config file to load
        (load "~/.xemacsrc")
      (load "~/.gnuemacs"))

and make sure that you assert

    (setq custom-file "~/.gnuemacs")

as appropriate as well.

Multiple versions for different environments can also be handled very well
by CVS - I have the above, as you might have guessed, and I have multiple
branches in cvs for home, work, colo-server.

</spiel>

~Tim
--
The sun is melting over the hills,          |piglet@stirfried.vegetable.org.uk
All our roads are waiting / To be revealed  |http://spodzone.org.uk/

* Re: multiple/alternate .emacs
@ 2002-12-05 16:19   ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2002-12-05 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Tim> "Bryan W. Lepore" <lepore@brandeis.edu> writes:

  >> is there a way to make emacs use alternate .emacs files?
  >> e.g. .emacs1, .emacs2, or is the .emacs required to be named only
  >> ".emacs"?

  Tim> To what end would you want to do this?

I do this. I have one emacs for mail/news, and one for everything
else. I do this because emacs isn't threaded. If NNTP or mail is slow,
I press "g" and come back a few minutes later. In the mean time I want
to work.

I go the simple route of

emacs -q -l ~/emacs/mailwindow.el

to launch my mail reader (obvious I have this scripted, and don't type
it every time). Then I modularlise the rest of my start up, so that I
share as much code between the two as possible.

I also did this for a while when I was running emacs21, and emacs20 at
the same time, although this was mostly a quick cut and paste hack, as
I knew that it would not last for long!

Cheers

Phil

* Re: multiple/alternate .emacs
@ 2002-12-07  2:00     ` ken
From: ken @ 2002-12-07  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Phil,

That's a good idea.  I found the same thing to be true and was one of
the reasons I eventually went back to pine.

I'm not sure at all about this, but there is an emacs server which
(here's the guess) should be able to serve out to multiple clients,
which is what the situation seems to call for.

Anybody?

--
AMD crashes?  See http://cleveland.lug.net/~ken/amd-problem/.

Phillip Lord at 16:19 (UTC-0000) on 5 Dec 2002 said:

= >>>>> "Tim" == Tim Haynes <usenet@stirfried.vegetable.org.uk> writes:
=
=   Tim> "Bryan W. Lepore" <lepore@brandeis.edu> writes:
=
=   >> is there a way to make emacs use alternate .emacs files?
=   >> e.g. .emacs1, .emacs2, or is the .emacs required to be named only
=   >> ".emacs"?
=
=   Tim> To what end would you want to do this?
=
=
[...]
= Help-gnu-emacs mailing list
= Help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org