all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* rmail/gnus/attachments
@ 2002-12-04 15:43 Billy O'Connor
From: Billy O'Connor @ 2002-12-04 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm having trouble using gnus as my mail reader.  When I have mails
with attachments, they show up inline, instead of [whatever.txt].  I
don't see this happening in gnus, only in rmail with gnus as the mail
reader.  Is there something I'm missing, I can handle the attachments
fine with gnus.

--
Billy O'Connor
Editor, Beyond Linux From Scratch   http://beyond.linuxfromscratch.org/view/cvs

* Re: rmail/gnus/attachments
@ 2002-12-04 17:57 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-04 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Billy O'Connor <billyoc@linuxfromscratch.org> writes:

> I'm having trouble using gnus as my mail reader.  When I have mails
> with attachments, they show up inline, instead of [whatever.txt].  I
> don't see this happening in gnus, only in rmail with gnus as the mail
> reader.  Is there something I'm missing, I can handle the attachments
> fine with gnus.

I think you are using Rmail to read mail, not Gnus.  There is no such
thing as "Rmail with Gnus as the mail reader".  They are just two
different programs.

* Re: rmail/gnus/attachments
@ 2002-12-04 21:22   ` Billy O'Connor
From: Billy O'Connor @ 2002-12-04 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Billy O'Connor <billyoc@linuxfromscratch.org> writes:
>
> > I'm having trouble using gnus as my mail reader.  When I have mails
> > with attachments, they show up inline, instead of [whatever.txt].  I
> > don't see this happening in gnus, only in rmail with gnus as the mail
> > reader.  Is there something I'm missing, I can handle the attachments
> > fine with gnus.
>
> I think you are using Rmail to read mail, not Gnus.  There is no such
> thing as "Rmail with Gnus as the mail reader".  They are just two
> different programs.

Yes, quite right, I misspoke, I'm using "Gnus Message with full Gnus
features" to read mail.  I just don't see where to get gnus to handle
the attachments in the same manner as it does in a usenet context.
The attachments are quite alright when read from a newsgroup, only
when they are attached to emails are they displayed inline.  Is there
some other gnus setting that is specific to email regarding
attatchments?  Sorry if this is a FAQ, I just don't see it in the
docs.

--

@ 2002-12-06 22:39     ` ken
From: ken @ 2002-12-06 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I've used etach.el with some success, found it just by searching the
web.

ken

--
AMD crashes?  See http://cleveland.lug.net/~ken/amd-problem/.

Billy O'Connor at 21:22 (UTC-0000) on Wed, 4 Dec 2002 said:

= kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:
=
= >

@ 2002-12-07 13:59     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-07 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Billy O'Connor <billyoc@linuxfromscratch.org> writes:

> Yes, quite right, I misspoke, I'm using "Gnus Message with full Gnus
> features" to read mail.  I just don't see where to get gnus to handle
> the attachments in the same manner as it does in a usenet context.
> The attachments are quite alright when read from a newsgroup, only
> when they are attached to emails are they displayed inline.  Is there
> some other gnus setting that is specific to email regarding
> attatchments?  Sorry if this is a FAQ, I just don't see it in the
> docs.

I've never seen any difference between attachments in mail groups and
attachments in news groups.  Try C-u g on messages with attachments,
do the ones from news and mail look the same?

Maybe the mail messages are missing the ``Mime-Version: 1.0''
header.  There is some variable somewhere which tells Gnus not to
require this header...

* Re: rmail/gnus/attachments
@ 2002-12-07 14:56       ` Billy O'Connor
From: Billy O'Connor @ 2002-12-07 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Billy O'Connor <billyoc@linuxfromscratch.org> writes:
>
> > Yes, quite right, I misspoke, I'm using "Gnus Message with full Gnus
> > features" to read mail.  I just don't see where to get gnus to handle
> > the attachments in the same manner as it does in a usenet context.
> > The attachments are quite alright when read from a newsgroup, only
> > when they are attached to emails are they displayed inline.  Is there
> > some other gnus setting that is specific to email regarding
> > attatchments?  Sorry if this is a FAQ, I just don't see it in the
> > docs.
>
> I've never seen any difference between attachments in mail groups and
> attachments in news groups.  Try C-u g on messages with attachments,
> do the ones from news and mail look the same?

With news, C-u g shows the attachment inline, base64.  With mail,
displays "Get new mail from file: ~/ " in the minibuffer.

> Maybe the mail messages are missing the ``Mime-Version: 1.0''
> header.  There is some variable somewhere which tells Gnus not to
> require this header...

Ah, I'll look for this variable.

--

@ 2002-12-07 15:38         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-07 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Billy O'Connor <billyoc@linuxfromscratch.org> writes:

> With news, C-u g shows the attachment inline, base64.  With mail,
> displays "Get new mail from file: ~/ " in the minibuffer.

Huh?  This means you're using RMAIL for mail?!?  I thought you told
me you're using Gnus for mail.

For RMAIL, somebody else suggested etach.el.  There is also rmime.el
by Ray Moody(?).

* Re: rmail/gnus/attachments
@ 2002-12-07 15:48           ` Billy O'Connor
From: Billy O'Connor @ 2002-12-07 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Billy O'Connor <billyoc@linuxfromscratch.org> writes:
>
> > With news, C-u g shows the attachment inline, base64.  With mail,
> > displays "Get new mail from file: ~/ " in the minibuffer.
>
> Huh?  This means you're using RMAIL for mail?!?  I thought you told
> me you're using Gnus for mail.
>
> For RMAIL, somebody else suggested etach.el.  There is also rmime.el
> by Ray Moody(?).
> --
> ~/.signature is: umop ap!sdn    (Frank Nobis)

Yeah, I thought I was.  :)  I have these two variables in my .emacs,
and thought that was all I needed to use gnus for mail.  If I run
M-x rmail, you mean that's not running gnus?  Yikes, no wonder it's
not working.  I don't see any gnus-* function to read mail, though, I
thought these two variables and M-x rmail would do the trick.

 '(mail-user-agent (quote gnus-user-agent))
 '(read-mail-command (quote gnus))

--

@ 2002-12-07 21:52             ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-07 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Billy O'Connor <billyoc@linuxfromscratch.org> writes:

> Yeah, I thought I was.  :)  I have these two variables in my .emacs,
> and thought that was all I needed to use gnus for mail.  If I run
> M-x rmail, you mean that's not running gnus?

No, that starts RMAIL.

To use Gnus for mail, see the node `(gnus)Getting Mail' in the Gnus
info file.  (From info, type g then the node name as shown above.)
Does that help?

* Re: rmail/gnus/attachments
@ 2002-12-07 22:55               ` Billy O'Connor
From: Billy O'Connor @ 2002-12-07 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Billy O'Connor <billyoc@linuxfromscratch.org> writes:
>
> > Yeah, I thought I was.  :)  I have these two variables in my .emacs,
> > and thought that was all I needed to use gnus for mail.  If I run
> > M-x rmail, you mean that's not running gnus?
>
> No, that starts RMAIL.
>
> To use Gnus for mail, see the node `(gnus)Getting Mail' in the Gnus
> info file.  (From info, type g then the node name as shown above.)
> Does that help?

Kai, I can't believe it, I've been using RMAIL for years, thinking it
was gnus.  Naturally, 2 minutes reading the info section and it works
perfectly.  Thank you again, works like a charm.