all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* RE: How add one to column # on modeline (%c) so starts from _1_?
@ 2002-10-08  9:39 Victor Kirk
From: Victor Kirk @ 2002-10-08  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> '(:eval "%c + 1")

> The above will print "0 + 1" on the modeline when in the first column.

This is because it thre result is a string which contains those characters.
What you need to do is

 o convert %c to an int  - (string-to-int "%c")
 o add one to this value - (+ (string-to-int "%c") 1)
 o Return the result as a string (format "%s" (+ (string-to-int "%c") 1))

> How can I tell Emacs to evaluate the *addition* in quotes rather
> than just interpret it as a /string/????

Thus try

(:eval (format "%s" (+ (string-to-int "%c") 1)))

And don't forget to use column-number-mode!

Vic
--

This message, including attachments, is intended only for the use by the
person(s) to whom it is addressed. It may contain information which is

* How add one to column # on modeline (%c) so starts from _1_?
@ 2002-09-26  5:35 seberino
From: seberino @ 2002-09-26  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

%c on modeline gives column number but it
starts at 0 which is silly...

How add 1 to this so starts at 1???

(%c + 1) doesn't do it of course.

Chris