all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* using c-macro-expand
@ 2002-10-04 16:46 Kevin Dziulko
From: Kevin Dziulko @ 2002-10-04 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I run to c-macro-expand command, I get the following:

/* Preprocessor terminated with status 1

   Messages from `/lib/cpp -C ':

/lib/cpp: Command not found

*/

Preprocessor produced no output

I'm running GNU Emacs 20.2.3 (sparc-sun-solaris2.6, X toolkit).
I don't know what cpp -C is. Do I need to set a path to my
c compiler (/usr/ucb/cc) or something?

Thanks!
Kevin

* Re: using c-macro-expand
       [not found] <mailman.1033750036.1210.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-10-04 18:01 ` Michael Slass
From: Michael Slass @ 2002-10-04 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Dziulko <dziulko@klaatu.canisius.edu> writes:

>When I run to c-macro-expand command, I get the following:

>/* Preprocessor terminated with status 1
>
>   Messages from `/lib/cpp -C ':
>
>/lib/cpp: Command not found
>

>*/
>
>Preprocessor produced no output
>
>I'm running GNU Emacs 20.2.3 (sparc-sun-solaris2.6, X toolkit).
>I don't know what cpp -C is. Do I need to set a path to my
>c compiler (/usr/ucb/cc) or something?
>
>Thanks!
>Kevin

I think you need to customize the variable c-macro-preprocessor

From the file cmacexp.el:

,----
`----

,----[ C-h v c-macro-preprocessor RET ]
| c-macro-preprocessor's value is "/lib/cpp -C"
|
| Documentation:
| The preprocessor used by the cmacexp package.
|
| If you change this, be sure to preserve the `-C' (don't strip comments)
| option, or to set an equivalent one.
|
| You can customize this variable.
|
| Defined in `/usr/share/emacs/21.2/lisp/progmodes/cmacexp.el'.
`----

So you do need to set it to the path to your c compiler, and include
whatever switch is uses to indicate "preprocessor only"

--
Mike Slass

* Re: using c-macro-expand
@ 2002-10-04 18:29   ` Kevin Dziulko
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1033758554.2997.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Dziulko @ 2002-10-04 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, Michael Slass wrote:

> Kevin Dziulko <dziulko@klaatu.canisius.edu> writes:
>
> >When I run to c-macro-expand command, I get the following:
> >
> >----------------------------------------
> >/* Preprocessor terminated with status 1
> >
> >   Messages from `/lib/cpp -C ':
> >
> >/lib/cpp: Command not found
> >

> >*/
> >
> >Preprocessor produced no output
> >----------------------------------------
> >
> >I'm running GNU Emacs 20.2.3 (sparc-sun-solaris2.6, X toolkit).
> >I don't know what cpp -C is. Do I need to set a path to my
> >c compiler (/usr/ucb/cc) or something?
> >
> >Thanks!
> >Kevin
> >

> I think you need to customize the variable c-macro-preprocessor
>
> >From the file cmacexp.el:
>
> ,----
> | ;; If you use a preprocessor other than /lib/cpp (be careful to set a
> | ;; -C option or equivalent in order to make the preprocessor not to
> | ;; strip the comments):
> | ;;(setq c-macro-preprocessor "gpp -C")
> | ;;
> | ;; If you often use a particular set of flags:
> | ;;(setq c-macro-cppflags "-I /usr/include/local -DDEBUG"
> | ;;
> | ;; If you want the "Preprocessor arguments: " prompt:
> | ;;(setq c-macro-prompt-flag t)
> `----
>
> ,----[ C-h v c-macro-preprocessor RET ]
> | c-macro-preprocessor's value is "/lib/cpp -C"
> |
> | Documentation:
> | The preprocessor used by the cmacexp package.
> |
> | If you change this, be sure to preserve the `-C' (don't strip comments)
> | option, or to set an equivalent one.
> |
> | You can customize this variable.
> |
> | Defined in `/usr/share/emacs/21.2/lisp/progmodes/cmacexp.el'.
> `----
>
> So you do need to set it to the path to your c compiler, and include
> whatever switch is uses to indicate "preprocessor only"

I added to .emacs:
(setq c-macro-preprocessor "/usr/ucb/cc -C -E")

cc is the c compiler, -C for preprocessor to leave in comments, and -E to
preprocess only.  Now when I run c-macro-expand, I get error message:

Search failed: "^J??? !!! ??? start of c-macro expansion ??? !!! ???"

any ideas?

* Re: using c-macro-expand
@ 2002-10-04 19:10     ` Michael Slass
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1033758554.2997.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Michael Slass @ 2002-10-04 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Michael Slass, help-gnu-emacs

Kevin Dziulko <dziulko@klaatu.canisius.edu> writes:

>I added to .emacs:
>(setq c-macro-preprocessor "/usr/ucb/cc -C -E")
>
>cc is the c compiler, -C for preprocessor to leave in comments, and -E to
>preprocess only.  Now when I run c-macro-expand, I get error message:
>
>Search failed: "^J??? !!! ??? start of c-macro expansion ??? !!! ???"
>
>any ideas?

Please post your question back to the original newsgroup:

1) because a wider audience will more likely be able to help you
2) it is poor etiquette to take my posting an answer to your newsgroup
   question as an invitation to send me unsolicited questions.

--
Mike Slass

* Re: using c-macro-expand
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1033758554.2997.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-10-04 19:14       ` Michael Slass
From: Michael Slass @ 2002-10-04 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Slass <miknrene@drizzle.com> writes:

>Kevin Dziulko <dziulko@klaatu.canisius.edu> writes:
>

>>I added to .emacs:
>>(setq c-macro-preprocessor "/usr/ucb/cc -C -E")
>>
>>cc is the c compiler, -C for preprocessor to leave in comments, and -E to
>>preprocess only.  Now when I run c-macro-expand, I get error message:
>>
>>Search failed: "^J??? !!! ??? start of c-macro expansion ??? !!! ???"
>>
>>any ideas?
>>

>Please post your question back to the original newsgroup:
>
>1) because a wider audience will more likely be able to help you
>2) it is poor etiquette to take my posting an answer to your newsgroup
>   question as an invitation to send me unsolicited questions.
>
>--
>Mike Slass

I see that you did post to the group, but cc'ed me as part of a
reply-all or some such.  Sorry for being touchy.

--
Mike Slass