all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* .emacs configuration question (easy)
@ 2002-10-02  5:14 Ryan Barnard
From: Ryan Barnard @ 2002-10-02  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm fairly new to using Emacs, but I see great potential for it.  I've got a
simple question I was hoping somebody could help me with:

I want to set up emacs to be a little IDE for some C++ work I wish to do.
Here's the keypresses needed to make it look how I want it:
C-x 2
C-x ^
C-x ^
C-x ^
C-x ^
C-x ^
C-x ^
C-x ^
C-x 3
C-x o
C-x o
M-x shell
C-x o

What this basically does is make two editor windows on the upper-left and
right, and a shell at the bottom where I can do my compiles and test runs.

So, how can I have this set up in my .emacs file so it defaults to look like
this (or something close to it?

Thanks for your help!
Ryan

* Re: .emacs configuration question (easy)
@ 2002-10-02  7:33 ` Jonas Steverud
From: Jonas Steverud @ 2002-10-02  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ryan Barnard" <barnarr@cc.wwu.edu> writes:

> Here's the keypresses needed to make it look how I want it:
[...]
> So, how can I have this set up in my .emacs file so it defaults to look like
> this (or something close to it?

Untested:

(progn ; To group the following code.
  (split-window-vertically)
  (enlarge-window 7)
  (split-window-horizontally)
  (other-window)
  (other-window)
  (shell)
  (other-window)
)

This can be done more efficent, I'm sure. But this "ought to work".

--
(          www.dtek.chalmers.se/~d4jonas/         !     Wei Wu Wei     )
(        Meaning of U2 Lyrics, Roleplaying        !  To Do Without Do  )

* Re: .emacs configuration question (easy)
@ 2002-10-02 10:09 ` Oliver Scholz
From: Oliver Scholz @ 2002-10-02 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ryan Barnard" <barnarr@cc.wwu.edu> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm fairly new to using Emacs, but I see great potential for it.  I've got a
> simple question I was hoping somebody could help me with:
>
> I want to set up emacs to be a little IDE for some C++ work I wish to do.
> Here's the keypresses needed to make it look how I want it:
> C-x 2
> C-x ^
> C-x ^
> C-x ^
> C-x ^
> C-x ^
> C-x ^
> C-x ^
> C-x 3
> C-x o
> C-x o
> M-x shell
> C-x o
>
> What this basically does is make two editor windows on the upper-left and
> right, and a shell at the bottom where I can do my compiles and test runs.
>
> So, how can I have this set up in my .emacs file so it defaults to look like
> this (or something close to it?
[...]

Besides doing this programatically as Jonas suggested, you can do it
with a slightly different set of key commands: to do `C-x ^' and many
other commands repeatedly, you can call them with a prefix argument:

C-x 2
M-7 C-x ^    or     C-u 7 C-x ^
C-x 3
M-2 C-o
M-x shell
C-x o

I have a related question to the group:

Suppose I want to make the shell window "sticky". That is: it should
always at the same size and it should always show only a shell
buffer. And Emacs should not take this window into account, when it
resizes another window, or pops up some buffer etc.. Is this possible?
AFAIK the tool-bar is actually such a window, so I guess that at least
in the internals there are means provided for something like this. But
can I do it with a Lisp extension? I know that I can use `winner-mode'
to maintain my window-configuration, but this requires that I think
and thinking is cumbersome.

Another candidate for something like this would be the speed-bar. It
would be nice if I could have it in a "sticky" window instead of a
separate frame.

    -- Oliver

--
11 Vendémiaire an 211 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!

* Re: .emacs configuration question (easy)
@ 2002-10-02 16:18 ` Michael Slass
From: Michael Slass @ 2002-10-02 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ryan Barnard" <barnarr@cc.wwu.edu> writes:

>Hi,
>
>I'm fairly new to using Emacs, but I see great potential for it.  I've got a
>simple question I was hoping somebody could help me with:
>
>I want to set up emacs to be a little IDE for some C++ work I wish to do.
>Here's the keypresses needed to make it look how I want it:

Slightly off topic - but have you tried M-x compile ?
If you're not using a makefile, just replace the default command (when
you're prompted) with your compilation command, and emacs will
remember it the next time you try.

I use these key bindings:

(add-hook 'c-mode-common-hook
  (lambda ()
    (define-key c-mode-base-map (kbd "<f3>") 'compile)
    (define-key c-mode-base-map (kbd "<f2>") 'next-error)
    (define-key c-mode-base-map (kbd "<f4>") 'gdb)))

So F3 starts compilation.  If there are errors, F2 traverses them, and
F4 starts the debugger.

--
Mike Slass

* Re: .emacs configuration question (easy)
@ 2002-10-04  3:27   ` ken
From: ken @ 2002-10-04  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Spake Oliver Scholz at 12:09 (UTC+0200) on Wed, 2 Oct 2002:

= "Ryan Barnard" <barnarr@cc.wwu.edu> writes:
=
= > Hi,
= >
[...]
= [...]
=
[...]

The keyword you need is "geometry".  You could use it as a commandline
option when firing up emacs or put something like "emacs.geometry ..."
in your ~/.Xdefaults file.  The "geometry" spec is used to set both size
and location of the window.

I'd suggest starting emacs from the command line with the "geometry"
option.  It's easier to play around with.  Requires less thinking.

hth,
ken

--
AMD crashes?  See http://cleveland.lug.net/~ken/amd-problem/.

* special windows (was: .emacs configuration question (easy))
@ 2002-10-04  9:01     ` Oliver Scholz
From: Oliver Scholz @ 2002-10-04  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

ken <ken@cleveland.lug.net> writes:

> Spake Oliver Scholz at 12:09 (UTC+0200) on Wed, 2 Oct 2002:
[...]
> = Suppose I want to make the shell window "sticky".
[...]
> The keyword you need is "geometry".  You could use it as a commandline
> option when firing up emacs or put something like "emacs.geometry ..."
> in your ~/.Xdefaults file.  The "geometry" spec is used to set both size
> and location of the window.
[...]

*hehehe*, there is a misunderstanding here, for which different
terminology is to blame. I was talking Emacs-lingo. The geometry
option/X-ressource does affect only whole frames (that what is called
"windows" everywhere else in the computing world). Windows in
Emacs-lingo are the areas of the frame that are created by
"splitting" the frame horizontally or vertically.

Now the tool-bar is actually such a window but with some special
properties. I'd like to know if it is possible to create such special
windows from Lisp. (Though I doubt it.)

    -- Oliver

--
Oliver Scholz               13 Vendémiaire an 211 de la Révolution
Taunusstr. 25               Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!

* emacs/bib-cite/auctex/flyspell interaction with C-c C-c
@ 2002-10-23 20:30   ` David Forrest
From: David Forrest @ 2002-10-23 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

this has frustrated me for a while and I haven't figured out just what
needs changing.

emacs 20.7.2
flyspell 20.3
bib-cite 3.04
auctex?/latex.el 11.11

If I have flyspell-mode on, and happen to be on a misspelled word, C-h-k
C-c C-c gives me:

   C-C C-c is undefined

which is different from the normal C-h-k C-c C-C:

   C-c C-c runs the command TeX-command-master

flyspell.el says the following, but I've a newer emacs than 19.xx.

;*---------------------------------------------------------------------*/
;*    flyspell-correct-word/local-keymap ...                           */
;*---------------------------------------------------------------------*/
(defun flyspell-correct-word/local-keymap (event)
  "emacs 19.xx seems to be buggous. Overlay keymap does not seems
to work correctly with local map. That is, if a key is not
defined for the overlay keymap, the current local map, is not
checked. The binding is resolved with the global map. The
consequence is that we can not use overlay map with flyspell."

Any suggestions?  Thanks for your time,
Dave,
--
 Dave Forrest    (434)924-3954w(111B) (804)642-0662h (804)695-2026p
 drf5n@virginia.edu             http://mug.sys.virginia.edu/~drf5n/