all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Can bookmark file execute code?
@ 2002-09-09  0:42 mike hardy
From: mike hardy @ 2002-09-09  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there any way to put something into the bookmark file (~/.emacs.bmk) so
that when I select a particular item it executes some code (like an
alias)?  Someone gave me an insert-date function, and I have a journal
file I access via a bookmark.  It would be much handier to have that
bookmark open the file and execute my alias (go to bottom, insert-date).

Thanks...

Mike
--

------------------------
mhardy_mail@NO_SPAM@yahoo.com

  Help Wanted: Psychic.  You know where to apply.

* Re: Can bookmark file execute code?
@ 2002-09-09  2:33 ` Sacha Chua
From: Sacha Chua @ 2002-09-09  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

mike hardy <no_sp@m.for_me.org> writes:

> Is there any way to put something into the bookmark file (~/.emacs.bmk) so
> that when I select a particular item it executes some code (like an
> alias)?  Someone gave me an insert-date function, and I have a journal
> file I access via a bookmark.  It would be much handier to have that
> bookmark open the file and execute my alias (go to bottom, insert-date).

remember.el automatically does this for you. You might want to read
its code, or just use it wholesale. In fact, it even pops up a nice
window for you...

Seriously, if all you want to do is insert a timestamp, check it
out. It's pretty cool, and you can easily make the functions record
more information. I'd love to be able to use that in a wearable
computing setup that keeps track of where I am and who I talk to! <laugh>
(ooooh, bbdb to the rescue...)

Note to self: hack remember.el to work with planner.el so that it adds
notes to the end of the day's planner... That'd be, like, tres cool.

--
Sacha Chua <sacha@free.net.ph> - 4 BS CS Ateneo geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, wearables, teaching compsci

* Re: Can bookmark file execute code?
@ 2002-09-09  3:39   ` David Forrest
From: David Forrest @ 2002-09-09  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Sacha Chua wrote:

> remember.el automatically does this for you. You might want to read
> its code, or just use it wholesale. In fact, it even pops up a nice
> window for you...
>
> Seriously, if all you want to do is insert a timestamp, check it
> out. It's pretty cool, and you can easily make the functions record
> more information. I'd love to be able to use that in a wearable
> computing setup that keeps track of where I am and who I talk to! <laugh>
> (ooooh, bbdb to the rescue...)

remember is cool!

Dave,
--