all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: .emacs file
@ 2002-07-01 10:02 ` David Forrest
From: David Forrest @ 2002-07-01 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, Iosu Arizkuren wrote:
> Hi, could someone tell me where in the tarball is the .emacs file?, cause I
> have to hack it and I do not know where it is.
> Thanks,
> regards,
> Iosu.

It does not exist in a default install, so you will have to create it.  In
unix, it is looked for at $HOME/.emacs

Dave
--
 Dave Forrest                                   drf5n@virginia.edu
 (434)296-7283h 924-3954w      http://mug.sys.virginia.edu/~drf5n/

* .emacs file
@ 2002-07-01 12:08 Iosu Arizkuren
From: Iosu Arizkuren @ 2002-07-01 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, could someone tell me where in the tarball is the .emacs file?, cause I
have to hack it and I do not know where it is.
Thanks,
regards,
Iosu.

MSN. Más Útil cada Día. http://www.msn.es/intmap/

* .emacs file
@ 2009-08-11 18:16 David Moncrieff
       [not found] ` <mailman.4440.1250048625.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Moncrieff @ 2009-08-11 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Could someone direct me to information concerning ".emacs" file, in
particular I am trying to find the location of said file under Windows
Vista.  I'm currently using emacs 22.3 under windows vista.

Any help would be appreciated.

Yours Sincerely,
David Moncrieff

* Re: .emacs file
       [not found] <mailman.4438.1250047384.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-08-12  3:40 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2009-08-12  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Moncrieff <moncrieff.d@gmail.com> writes:

> Could someone direct me to information concerning ".emacs" file, in
> particular I am trying to find the location of said file under Windows
> Vista.  I'm currently using emacs 22.3 under windows vista.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

This file is always available with:

C-x C-f ~/.emacs RET

I don't really know where it is stored when you're on MS-Windows (I
know nothing about MS-Windows), but at least using the above command
you will be able to edit that file.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

* Re: .emacs file
@ 2009-08-12  3:43 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found] ` <mailman.4440.1250048625.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2009-08-12  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Moncrieff wrote:

> Could someone direct me to information concerning ".emacs" file, in
> particular I am trying to find the location of said file under Windows
> Vista.  I'm currently using emacs 22.3 under windows vista.

M-: (expand-file-name "~/.emacs")

A full explanation is given in the "Windows HOME" node of the Emacs
manual (in Appendix G, "Emacs and Microsoft Windows/MS-DOS").

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

@ 2009-08-12  8:00 ` Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2009-08-12  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 11, 11:16 am, David Moncrieff <moncrief...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Could someone direct me to information concerning ".emacs" file, in
> particular I am trying to find the location of said file under Windows
> Vista.  I'm currently using emacs 22.3 under windows vista.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

could be several places.

On Windows, here are possible locations:

C:/Users/xah/AppData/Roaming/
C:/Users/xah/
C:/cygwin/home/xah/

in general, it is at your OS's env variable HOME.

if you don't have HOME set,

for how to set env var on Windows, see top of:

• Using PowerShell to Manage Environment Variables
  http://xahlee.org/powershell/environment_variables.html

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: .emacs file
       [not found] ` <mailman.4440.1250048625.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-08-12 15:52   ` Rugxulo
From: Rugxulo @ 2009-08-12 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

On Aug 11, 10:43 pm, Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> David Moncrieff wrote:
>
> > Could someone direct me to information concerning ".emacs" file, in
> > particular I am trying to find the location of said file under Windows
> > Vista.  I'm currently using emacs 22.3 under windows vista.
>
> M-: (expand-file-name "~/.emacs")
>
> A full explanation is given in the "Windows HOME" node of the Emacs
> manual (in Appendix G, "Emacs and Microsoft Windows/MS-DOS").

If it helps any, here's what my Vista box says:

c:/Users/Rugxulo/AppData/Roaming/.emacs

* Re: .emacs file
@ 2009-08-17 18:49   ` John A Pershing Jr
From: John A Pershing Jr @ 2009-08-17 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Xah Lee <xahlee@gmail.com> writes:
> On Aug 11, 11:16 am, David Moncrieff <moncrief...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Could someone direct me to information concerning ".emacs" file, in
>> particular I am trying to find the location of said file under Windows
>> Vista.

As Xah has rightly noted, it looks in your "home" directory which, under
Windoze, could be any of a number of difference places.

However, I believe the normal behavior of Emacs when it starts up is to
change to (what it believes to be) your home directory.  So, in a
freshly started Emacs, if you bring up 'dired' (Ctrl-X D Return) you
should be looking at your home directory.  This is where you should put
your .emacs file.

  -jp

* Re: .emacs file
@ 2009-08-18  3:03     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-08-18  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: John A Pershing Jr <pershing@alum.mit.edu>
> Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 14:49:53 -0400
>
> However, I believe the normal behavior of Emacs when it starts up is to
> change to (what it believes to be) your home directory.

No, that's not true.  Emacs starts up in the directory where it was
invoked.  On Windows, if you start it by clicking an icon, the icon's
properties determine where it starts.