all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* how to bind to S-\ ???
@ 2002-08-30 20:47 Joe Corneli
From: Joe Corneli @ 2002-08-30 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I've tried the octal code, that didn't work; I've tried using the '\'
character itself, that didn't work; I tried the word 'backslash', that
didn't work. So how to do it??

Joe Corneli
jcornel@math.utexas.edu

* Re: how to bind to S-\ ???
       [not found] <mailman.1030740488.10946.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-08-30 23:45 ` Edward O'Connor
From: Edward O'Connor @ 2002-08-30 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hello,

Hi!

> I've tried the octal code, that didn't work; I've tried using
> the '\' character itself, that didn't work; I tried the word
> 'backslash', that didn't work. So how to do it??

Isn't S-\ simply | on your keyboard?

(global-set-key (kbd "|") 'foo)

HTH,
Ted

--
Edward O'Connor
ted@oconnor.cx

* Re: how to bind to S-\ ???
       [not found] <20020831103321.8485.29460.Mailman@monty-python.gnu.org>
@ 2002-08-31 13:22 ` Joe Corneli
From: Joe Corneli @ 2002-08-31 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

>  (global-set-key [(shift "\")] 'foo)

Thanks; I meant "super \" - but of course it comes out about the same!

In the mean time, I figured out an alternate way (using octal)

 (global-set-key [(super ?\134)] 'foo)

The question mark is of course what I had been missing in my previous
attempts.

Note that the quoted line of code you gave me causes this message to
appear:

Compiling file /home/jcorneli/.xemacs/custom.el at Sat Aug 31 08:16:23
2002
  !! End of stream ((#<buffer " *Compiler Input*">))

(The message appears to have no consequences.)

For whatever reason, my version doesn't cause this message to appear --
and more importantly, it keeps the syntax hightlighting consistent!

Joe

* Re: how to bind to S-\ ???
       [not found] <mailman.1030800236.25501.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-08-31 16:23 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-08-31 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joe Corneli <jcorneli@math.utexas.edu> writes:

>>  (global-set-key [(shift "\")] 'foo)
>

> Thanks; I meant "super \" - but of course it comes out about the same!

No, S-\ is shift-\ whereas s-\ is super-\.

You can probably use (kbd "s-\").

kai

* Re: how to bind to S-\ ???
@ 2002-08-31 16:24   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-08-31 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> You can probably use (kbd "s-\").

(kbd "s-\\") -- sorry.

@ 2002-09-01 13:51 ` Kenneth Jacker
From: Kenneth Jacker @ 2002-09-01 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

  joe> I meant "super \" - but of course it comes out about the same!

Pardon my ignorance, but which physical key (if any?) on the keyboard
corresponds to the "super" modifier?

Thanks,

  -Kenneth

* Re: how to bind to S-\ ???
@ 2002-09-01 18:41   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-01 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kenneth Jacker <khj@be.cs.appstate.edu> writes:

> Pardon my ignorance, but which physical key (if any?) on the keyboard
> corresponds to the "super" modifier?

On most keyboards, none.  But under X11 at least, you can change the
kbd layout.  Then, it can be any key you configure.

(I use hyper for my window manager.)

kai