all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Building emacs on AIX 4.3.2 w/ GCC
@ 2003-03-24 19:07 Wayne Stewart
From: Wayne Stewart @ 2003-03-24 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm trying to build emacs 21.3 on AIX 4.3.2 using GCC 3.2.2
(powerpc-ibm-aix4.3.2.0, built to use AIX's as & ld).  I don't have
access to any IBM unbundled C compilers (cc, xlc, vac).  Everything
seems to work fine up to the unexec stage: temacs works, but the
unexec'ed emacs core dumps immediately in __start().  I've seen a lot
of discussion of similar problems in some quite old postings in
various newsgroups and mailing lists, but have been unable to find any
resolutions to the issue.  I've also tried using the unexaix from
Xemacs to no avail.  Is this a known and still unresolved problem?
(I notice that AIX is not among the "Supported Platforms" for emacs 21
on the home page - Is this the reason why?)

Thanks,
----
    Wayne

* Re: Building emacs on AIX 4.3.2 w/ GCC
@ 2003-03-26  2:42 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-03-26  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

Does any previous version of Emacs run properly on your system?

* Re: Building emacs on AIX 4.3.2 w/ GCC
@ 2003-03-26 22:16   ` Wayne Stewart
From: Wayne Stewart @ 2003-03-26 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, Richard Stallman wrote:

> Does any previous version of Emacs run properly on your system?

No, this is the first time I've tried to get emacs on my
AIX 4.3.2 system.  I understand that it is possible to download
some pre-built binaries for AIX 4.x, but I believe those were
compiled with the IBM AIX unbundled compilers (which I don't
have access to), and are also relatively old versions of GNU
emacs (19.x).  I also found some more current pre-built binaries
of Xemacs (21.x), which I don't want to switch to.

This person claims to have built a modern GNU emacs on AIX 4.3:

http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2000-11/msg00265.html

but, again, I don't think GCC was used.

----
    Wayne